Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Skorp 3026-1400 drop in n fly ?

my 500esp has the 500M motor, looking for a backup with easier bearing change, will the 1400 work with my 60 amp esc ? Should I get a 1600 instead ? I'm just doing flips and fff, no hardcore 3D any-time soon. In idle up I'm running maybe 90 %
Also, 1400 = pinion teeth
1600= pinion teeth,
T-rex 500FBL BeastX, I2 MRH & Swash, I2 boom support,( Bob's the Mahn ! ) DX7s. T-rex 550 I2 FBL head & boom support,KDE motor mount. CH-53E's 83-87. MCAS New River. FAA certified Airframe & Powerplant license holder since 1992
skered53 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I believe it will work fine I use the 1600 and luv it.
rotorfan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanks Rotorfan, i looked at their website and the 1400 draws more amps at no load
1400 draws 3.3
1600 draws 1.9

I should get a 1600 and be done with it,
maybe then pull the 500M apart and attempt to rebuild it, it has upwards of 150 flights on it with no issues,
just concerned it won't go back together correctly. ( even though I've rebuilt a couple hundred aircraft motors, but none were outrunners)
T-rex 500FBL BeastX, I2 MRH & Swash, I2 boom support,( Bob's the Mahn ! ) DX7s. T-rex 550 I2 FBL head & boom support,KDE motor mount. CH-53E's 83-87. MCAS New River. FAA certified Airframe & Powerplant license holder since 1992
Old 07-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nothing wrong with the 1600, i think it is the perfect motor for the 500 but that is my opinion.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pulled the trigger on a 1600, should be here and installed by next week-end, Also found source for the bearings in Abec 5, will get some of them also. Got the motor from Grand RC, hopefully the shaft has the c-clip and not the collar.

Also grabbed two sets o the align blemished blades.

Finaly flew in a big field, it's nice not to have a tree-obstacle-course.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

What's up Guys,

Looking to upgrade my 500m also. What are your thoughts on this motor?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/N...roduct_id=4848

Was thinking of upgrading to the 500mx but saw this one for cheaper. Also doesn't seem to need as much oiling and maintainence as the Scorpy's. Which do you think would be a better motor for the T500, the Scorpy, 600MX, or Raptor? My setup is for 6S lipos.

Thanks
Yellow SAB WobblinGoblin770 w/ iKon v2, Red Mostro v1 w/ iKon v2
byter182 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I clicked on the link, says the idle current is 3.5 amps, see above re the skorpion amp draw for the 1400 and 1600.

I was concerned re the 1400 drawing more amps and shortening my flights, also there are issues with the 1400 running hotter ??? search that link that is one page one or two here ..

Lastly I paid $ 71. sumthing for my skorpion at Grand RC, it showed $ 75 until i logged on and the price went down ( must be my history there ) ???

finally , I can't see where they say the bearings are sealed ? so where do they come up with no oiling neccessary ?

My 500M motor has 130 plus flights with no oil to the back bearings, I did add a few drops to the bearing under the pinion, who knows if it seeped in ? moot point when the skorp gets here ( though I will bust it open to swap brgs and make it my spare.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You might want to try the Raptor 500 motor from RC-Bearings. I just placed an order for one. Supposed to be a direct replacement, with superior bearings. Not many reviews yet, but the price is certainly more attractive then KDEs new motors, and hopefully the bearings will be more reliable then folks have been reporting on the Scorpions.

I'm still waiting for EITHER of my radios to get back from Horizon, so I'm dead in the water till then, hopefully the motor and a radio will show up next week, and I can get back to flying.
JesusFreak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skered53 View Post

finally , I can't see where they say the bearings are sealed ? so where do they come up with no oiling neccessary ?
We have well over 100 test flights on the first motor and have not needed to oil the bearings. That was a 1700KVmotor. What is for sale now is a 1600KV and really hits the sweet spot for the GAUI 425 test heli. Just because one motor NEEDS to have the bearings oiled every few flights doesn't mean they ALL do! I also include a spare set of my ABEC-3 bearings with each motor so you should be able to go a long time before having to buy bearings.
RC-Bearings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skered53 View Post
my 500esp has the 500M motor, looking for a backup with easier bearing change, will the 1400 work with my 60 amp esc ? Should I get a 1600 instead ? I'm just doing flips and fff, no hardcore 3D any-time soon. In idle up I'm running maybe 90 %
Also, 1400 = pinion teeth
1600= pinion teeth,
1600 is perfect for the 500. The 1400 will get hot(use castle creation calculator) it gets over volted. The 1900 needs a 100 amp esc. Although I've never ran a 1600 on a stock esc (use ice 75) and the specs say it can pull a continuous 70 amps.
Anthony440 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by byter182 View Post
What's up Guys,

Looking to upgrade my 500m also. What are your thoughts on this motor?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/N...roduct_id=4848

Was thinking of upgrading to the 500mx but saw this one for cheaper. Also doesn't seem to need as much oiling and maintainence as the Scorpy's. Which do you think would be a better motor for the T500, the Scorpy, 600MX, or Raptor? My setup is for 6S lipos.

Thanks
That motor looks like the hobbyking 500 motor which i had go seriously bad (drum hitting the outside and scraping up the magnets) to be honest if you are in the price range of a scorpion and other align motors id stick with something of quality i have an align 500mx motor and love it. Even in Alabama summers it has plenty of power without getting too hot. I also picked it up for the same price as that Raptor motor on Ebay and it was from a brand new 500 esp kit.
Wh1teAfr1can is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1teAfr1can View Post
That motor looks like the hobbyking 500 motor which i had go seriously bad (drum hitting the outside and scraping up the magnets) to be honest if you are in the price range of a scorpion and other align motors id stick with something of quality i have an align 500mx motor and love it. Even in Alabama summers it has plenty of power without getting too hot. I also picked it up for the same price as that Raptor motor on Ebay and it was from a brand new 500 esp kit.
Can't say if it's a HK motor, but I just received mine from Paul. With RC Bearings you get a full one year warranty, INCLUDING the bearings, so that should be worth something. It looks sturdier then the stock Align motor. I should have mine in the air next week and will report back.

FYI, I have quite a few Scorpion motors and have been relatively happy with them. I don't like their policy on bearings or the fact that they need to be oiled so often. That's why I decided to give RC Bearings a try.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Bearings View Post
We have well over 100 test flights on the first motor and have not needed to oil the bearings. That was a 1700KVmotor. What is for sale now is a 1600KV and really hits the sweet spot for the GAUI 425 test heli. Just because one motor NEEDS to have the bearings oiled every few flights doesn't mean they ALL do! I also include a spare set of my ABEC-3 bearings with each motor so you should be able to go a long time before having to buy bearings.
Hi Paul:

Got my motor today. There's a big honkin sticker on it, won't that mess with the balance at high RPM?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
Hi Paul:

Got my motor today. There's a big honkin sticker on it, won't that mess with the balance at high RPM?

Thanks!

You like this motor?
GunnyGlow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
Hi Paul:

Thanks!
Wow, I never got notice of this post! No, the sticker shouldn't affect the balance. These are vinyl and weigh nearly nothing.
RC-Bearings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in