Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tail wobble

I installed the new 7210 beast x on my trex 500 dfc pro. Before I changed it the heli flew and hovered very smoothly. Now I have tail wable. It's twitching back and forth about 1/4 inch... it seems to operate well but it never had that wable before. I did bang one of the main blades on the corner of the bench during the rewiring project and it did put a little chip on the leading edge of the blade so I replaced the main blades. I took off the main and tail blades and spooled it up and I can't feel the main shaft wobble but I can feel a vibration when I'm holding the tail boom... not sure where it's coming from. Would that make the tail wobble?.... just not sure where to start...
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did you have on it before?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naza h with gps.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lower your tail gain, or your gyro gain in your tx if the 7210 works like the AR7200BX. Little bit at a time till the wag goes away.

If it was flying fine before and all you changed is the fbl controller then there shouldn't be any mechanical issues
Old 08-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the other hand, it sure wouldn't hurt to re-check the balance of the tail blades and make sure there is absolutely no binding from tail servo all the way through to the blades. Also, some waggle might be due to low head speed.
johncblacker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald01 View Post
Would that make the tail wobble?.... just not sure where to start. Any ideas?

Is it a wag (sideways left to right - on the yaw axis)
Or a bob (nose up and down - on the pitch/nick axis)

If it's a wag, follow other posts to ensure mechanicals are be buttery smooth. Also, remove main blades, free tail pushrod at the servo end, spool up and manually actuate the tail pushrod, this will provide an idea on the tail bearings or thrust bearings reaction under load.

Low HS will seldom make it wag but rather drift to one or the other side with very little tail authority. Mushy.

If it's a bob, usually is related to un-lubed, worn out head dampers.

If all checks out, have your HS properly set for the type of machine, increase tail gain till it wags in a hover, then decrease till the wag is gone and no further.

Hope this helps some
Old 08-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tuned the tail in since installing the 7210?

Small chip in the main shouldn't matter much, just fill it in with CA if it's not too big and you could try the old blades out if that's the only thing you changed mechanically. Doubt it's from the mains though, they would make your bearings chirp and give you cyclic wobble if they were way out of balance and not tail wag. Anything's possible though

Those are all good suggestions and it sounds like you may have some tail vibes but if it was flying good before then it should still fly good.

You always have to tune the tail when you setup a new fbl unit so having a wag at first wouldn't surprise me at all. I got a huge tail wag just by swapping the esc on my old Trex, short fast wag is almost always too much tail gain or too much gain in the esc.

Mechanically, chewed up gears or slop/binding in the tail linkage like others mentioned are the main suspects
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The movement is left to right and I rechecked the tail blades and they weigh exactly the same. I do feel a vibration when I spooled it up with no blades on it, just can't tell what's causing it. I'm thinking of replacing the main shaft and if the vibration is still there may the torque tube. I wouldn't think that the bearings are worn-out because it's only got about 30 flights on it.... light flights, no 3d, but I'm still new at this so I'm not sure.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will always get some vibration from the tail, especially on a torque tube driven one. Hard to tell how much is acceptable when you're first starting out though, usually if the tail fin doesn't look blurry when it's running then you're okay. My Trex is loud and a bit more vibey than my other nonBlade helis and it has a belted tail so I could see a TT tail Trex having a decent amount of vibration even when it's running just right.

I would definitely put a drop of oil on the tail shaft and mess with gain before swapping any parts since it's still new and was working fine before. Unless you had it working with the 7210 already and the wag developed afterwards. Always try the cheapest/easiest things first, even swapping the tail blades between the grips can reduce tail vibes sometimes.

Way too much gain can make the tail vibe itself to shreds
Old 08-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks so much for all the information. Can't wait to make some adjustments and see how it turns out.... if it would just stop raining..lol
I had 2 days of mostly clear weather now that's gone... In north Louisiana, no floods but lots of rain... will post how things work out in a few days, hopefully...
Thanks again and happy flying.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the tail gain the gyro? It was set at 77, the same as my 450x with the beast x. I'll turn it down to 65 and see if that makes a difference.
The dx7s also has tail curve.... all the values are set to 0. My dx6i didn't have that or there was no setting for it in the manual. Any advice on that?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Typically I say that the gain number is just a number, but that does seem a bit high. Lower it down to 50 and see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The wobble stopped at 60.... should I still turn down the gyro to 50?... I also set the d/r on the rudder to 100. It's hovering well but the real test will be at the field this weekend. Not enough room to fly in the yard... too many trees.
One more thing... I was told not to oil the gears on the torque tube... is that correct?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't oil umbrella gears. As far as the gain goes, fly it and adjust as needed.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald01 View Post
Is the tail gain the gyro? It was set at 77, the same as my 450x with the beast x. I'll turn it down to 65 and see if that makes a difference.
The dx7s also has tail curve.... all the values are set to 0. My dx6i didn't have that or there was no setting for it in the manual. Any advice on that?
77 seems very high to me, but I don't know what the mechanical geometry is like on your 500. My G380 is down in the mid 30s although I'm still tuning it. If you are not doing 3D you could get away with a very low gain and not see any practical issues. Too high and you will get the fast wagging you experienced, especially in fast backward flight. Too low and the hold will be weaker, but probably not an issue until you start stressing it more with harder moves.

If the wobble stopped at 60, I would go down to 55 and fly it. If no issues in your normal flying routine, then job done. You can always re-tune it as you start flying harder if the tail hold feels weak.

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in