Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Build help please

Guys,

I'm putting my 7HV together finally. The parts are going together fine, but the manual is lacking in the detail/explanation department. I've got build experience, but I want to make sure I'm not going to overlook something simple that may be common knowledge to the rest of you.

Here are my questions:
-Are there any things that I need to be aware of that the manual does not cover, known typos, known incorrect dimensions, etc... that could cause me an issue?

-I have (2) Main Shaft Clamps. The manual says to place (1) Main Shaft Clamp on the underside of the upper bearing block. Is the other a spare, or does it go somewhere else?

-The ball links have numbers (1, 2, 3, 4) on the opposite side of the compass marking. Do these mean anything?

Thanks for the help,
Bill
gemmellsc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry, one more thing I ran into:

-Are you supposed to heat shrink or CA the Tail Link Caps in place (part # 09-7080)?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmellsc View Post
Guys,

I'm putting my 7HV together finally. The parts are going together fine, but the manual is lacking in the detail/explanation department. I've got build experience, but I want to make sure I'm not going to overlook something simple that may be common knowledge to the rest of you.

Here are my questions:
-Are there any things that I need to be aware of that the manual does not cover, known typos, known incorrect dimensions, etc... that could cause me an issue?

1)Make sure when you get to mounting the boom assemble you remove the M2.5 bolts that pierce the boom through the tail case. If not they can cause the boom not to fully seat giving the impression the belt is to short.
This one gets almost everybody.
2) On the tail rotor assembly make sure to size the delrin sleeve in the pivot arm the slider ball resides in. This can be a major source of friction causing a sticky feeling tail.

-I have (2) Main Shaft Clamps. The manual says to place (1) Main Shaft Clamp on the underside of the upper bearing block. Is the other a spare, or does it go somewhere else?

Should only have included one, guess you got a spare.
I know some guy's have installed a second below the original if they experience slipping. I saw Dave Kettelhut do this but he flies mucho harder than most ever will.

-The ball links have numbers (1, 2, 3, 4) on the opposite side of the compass marking. Do these mean anything?

No difference, just the marking of the mold they came from. I guess it helps make QC easier in identifying a damaged/worn mold.

Thanks for the help,
Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemmellsc View Post
Sorry, one more thing I ran into:

-Are you supposed to heat shrink or CA the Tail Link Caps in place (part # 09-7080)?
No Shrink or Glue, they are a friction fit over the ball links.
Enjoy the rest of your build.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Make sure your tail is built for leading edge control. Mine was trailing edge out of the box and the manual showed it that way also.

Bolts that hold the skids on - long ones to the front. Manual shows 4 the same.

Bolts that hold the servos in - need some short and some long. Manual shows all the same (long)

Delrin drive tubes - lengths in the manual cause confusion, don't know if this is OK now. Search threads for actual lengths needed.

Cheers
Protos Max v1 (800) - 7HV v2 - X7 - Trex 600 ESP - X5 FES - Logo 480 XXtreme - Protos 500 CF Stretched x 2 - Trex, CopterX & Blade 450s - CopterX 250 - MCPX - Nanos - XK 110. MD500 (Funkey / Align 600).
TimM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think the manual they include is reasonably good and self explanatory, mainly because the 7HV is a pretty simple design anyway.

You only need one main shaft clamp, that mounts under the top bearing block, make sure you put it on the correct way with the ridge facing upwards to the bearing.

Make sure you red thread lock the ball links onto the swashplate .. I learnt the hard way

Make sure your tail blade grips are facing leading edge.

This is not essential but I have replaced the bolts that hold the skids on, with nylon bolts, this prevents the frames breaking in a crash.

Last edited by SamSmith; 08-25-2013 at 07:48 AM..
SamSmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSmith View Post
This is not essential but I have replaced the bolts that hold the skids on, with nylon bolts, this prevents the frames braking in a crash.
Or, as I found out yesterday, can help prevent the struts from breaking when you crash hard enough to break the lower frame.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Or, as I found out yesterday, can help prevent the struts from breaking when you crash hard enough to break the lower frame.
Yeah that's correct, luckily I haven't had any mishaps since putting these nylon bolt on it .. Touch wood
SamSmith is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post

Uh oh!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. I have it almost complete now. Going through Beastx now. Hoping to get a test flight in today. I bought this slightly used a few months ago, and I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss anything. Too pretty and expensive to dork up over something stupid. I wasn't trying to bash the manual, but some of the dimensions around the head assembly may be assuming a certain servo. I was trying to build from the bottom of the head up and the 57mm call out in the servo to swash connector was throwing me way off. I'm an Electrical guy so the Mechanical side is my weaker suit. Now if you want me to put lights, buzzers, and 8.2GW flux capacitor on it.... we would be all good!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

How many cells will that take to reach 8.2? LOL!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gotta love a flux capacitor... Everyone should own one or two just in case! LOL!

Did my first test hover in the front yard. Everything tracks nicely, and she's still in one piece! . Still need to play with the Beastx and YGE a bit when I can get to the field. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Does this look like your car ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1563.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	446581  
Protos Max v1 (800) - 7HV v2 - X7 - Trex 600 ESP - X5 FES - Logo 480 XXtreme - Protos 500 CF Stretched x 2 - Trex, CopterX & Blade 450s - CopterX 250 - MCPX - Nanos - XK 110. MD500 (Funkey / Align 600).
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You found it! I thought I lost it back in 1982!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

It's OK. If you hadn't found it, it's due to pop into the current time period in only 2 years.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes, it is safe and sound in the Beaulieu Motor Museum in the UK.
There is a big parking bill though.
I saw it a few years ago, I mean, next week.

You will have to go back in time before you pay the bill.

Fascinating how it is put together.
I too am more electrical than mechanical.

I love my 7HV too.

Cheers
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Since you have it put that second shaft collar ridge down against the bearing in the second bearing block.
+however many it is on the nylon bolts for the skids.
dankcincy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in