Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 12FG, 12Z, 14MZ, FX40 module programming

Hi everybody!
Following are some information on how to set your module area and Frequency. It is necessary in some countries where Futaba 'forgot' to implement some legal frequencies... Unfortunatly in some case you might need to change the radio area too which is another story.
If your radio is set for the right area but your module is not or have different area/frequency than you need you can reprogram it.:wink:

The first thing to know is that these information are kept in the module in a Microwire 16 bits 93C46 EEPROM.
Then you have to build a simple serial programmer (see joined files) and install a serial EEPROM programming software like this one:
http://www.lancos.com/prog.html

After that, reading and changing the data from the EEPROM is very easy and with no risk for the module. But don't forget to backup the original data in a file before playing around. That way you can mess around and still be able to go back.
You'll find all code correspondances and schematics in the zip file below. But don't forget that your settings have to match your radio for the area and possible frequencies in this area or you will have the 'mismatched module...' message when you start.
If you get the 'mismatched frequency...' message then it is OK you just have to set again the frequency for your current model.

I have heard of some 'all areas modules' but didn't find something like this yet.
I am interested in your experiences, please share.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 14MZ_12Z_12FG_FX40 module setting.zip (150.5 KB, 5978 views)

Last edited by MZFAN; 09-25-2007 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: spell
MZFAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Don't see why this is needed.
I have used 35 mhz, 50 mhz, 72 mhz, in my 12Z with no problems. Get the freguency mismatch message when modules are changed. But just push OK and go on and the frequency list is there.
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have posted before to explain the reason to change the frequency. In Hong Kong, the legal 40mz frequency only includes 40.665-40.695. We can only get the MZ module of China version which only includes 40.770-40.850. I have bought the China version of MZ module in Hong Kong and sent back to Futaba in Japan for modification to the legal frequency. After 40 days they refused and sent it back through Hong Kong Distributor without any explanation. Is it interesting?
apleichau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I have used 35 mhz, 50 mhz, 72 mhz, in my 12Z with no problems. Get the freguency mismatch message when modules are changed. But just push OK and go on and the frequency list is there.
Hi David,
To use both 35 50 and 72 MHz on the same radio you probably had to change the area of the radio. Am I wrong? Doing this is easy with the 12Z but more difficult with the 14MZ or FX40.
It doesn't seems that there is any 'Futaba's area' that will permit this... Or the 14 MZ are not all the same in the world.
As apleichau said if you are not in the main 'Futaba's aeras' in the world then you really might need this.

Last edited by MZFAN; 08-25-2007 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: spell
Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi MZFAN,
I think the 14MZ has 2 versions, one for Japan and one for the rest of the world. The Japanese one don't allow you to use other module besides the ones for Japan. The Japanese one also don't have 12ch PPM even with the latest update.
benben is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benben View Post
Hi MZFAN,
I think the 14MZ has 2 versions, one for Japan and one for the rest of the world. The Japanese one don't allow you to use other module besides the ones for Japan. The Japanese one also don't have 12ch PPM even with the latest update.
Hi benben,
What make you think this? Personnaly I don't think so. I have access to japanese and none-japanese 14MZ and didn't see such difference. Of course if the none-japanese 14MZ I used is in fact a modified japanese 14MZ it could be...

If there are some differences it could be more like asian, european and american 14MZ. But not many people are willing to share information on this subject and it will be hard to find out.
Thanks for your comment.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It makes me think this because I tried using a 36mhz module for the Japanese 14MZ and it woudn't let me use it while it worked on the Hong Kong version and the Taiwan version. Do you know how to change the Japanese version to other version?

Thanks
Ben
Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Benben, this is interesting but strange. I know how to change a 14MZ to another area but this information is not welcome on this forum...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

MZFAN, are you using the utility program you posted before to change area?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

MZFan, you r DA MAN!!!

I would guess that Futaba differentiate the MZ14/12 module from FX40 module in this EEPROM too :-)

Now that we have established how Futaba (1) set the region and frequency band in the transmitter (2) set the region and frequency band in the TX module, for experimental purposes, it would be interesting to see on how they set the frequency band in the receiver. Would it be sufficient to replace the little pcb plugs in the receivers with one from other frequency band, or would it need other changes. It is just worrying to plug and unplug this little slave board from the main receiver board for too many times.
idhoverman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007, 09:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Help!

Quote:
--------------
Hello David
I call Alexander and I write from Italy.
I ask excuse for English, have bought the Futaba 12z in China (Hong Kong), have need of aid, you can explain like is made to me to change the frequency to the module and to carry it to the European zone?
Thanks Alexander
alexpippo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Should be fine. Just stick 35 mhz or 40 mhz module in transmitter. At least that has been fine from what I have seen.

David
DavidH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default help

Quote:
Should be fine. Just stick 35 mhz or 40 mhz module in transmitter. At least that has been fine from what I have seen.

David

I have the module from 40 Mhz
Alessandro
alexpippo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2007, 05:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hi MZFAN,

I have a T-12FG from Hong Kong.
First when I plugged in the european HF-Module I got the message "modul mismatch".
So I follow your description to change the region code of the module and it works fine.
But now I can only use the frequencies allowed in Hong Kong channel 75 to 82 .
I think I have to change the region code in the transmitter from Hong Kong to european to get use of full 35MHz range.
Can you tell me how to change the region code in the transmitter ?
Please help.
futurawko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

There are some instruction on this forum (sticker) for the 12Z and I know how to do it for the 14MZ but I don't have any idea for the 12FG. Sorry...
Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
oak
Registered Users

Anyone know if the region code in the TM-14 (FASST) module can be altered with this same method?
oak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

The question is, is the FASST module TM-14 region locked or not. It might be different than the conventional modules, as the legal frequency tables do no longer apply. Futaba USA has just put this question to Futaba Japan but they are at this very moment still closed for their New Year holidays. (See Futaba Support Forum on RCU). Everyone is awaiting the answer !
nicolas.goddeeris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

And yes, I am also looking for somebody who can add the frequency 34.930 MHz to the 14MZ. European frequencies start with 34.950-...
nicolas.goddeeris is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Team Taco Member

My HF Map location

Channel 55 (34.950) is the lowest legal use frequency allowed (in the UK anyway). That's why it's not available on the Frequency Screen

Morley F1 60 Max (OS 61LX-H), Hirobo SDX (OS 55HZ-H, GY701), Trex 450SE + some planks
MarkD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Correct. But you might have understood that was not my question. ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in