Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Mods made to the NX4

I wanted to see if I could get a list of mods going that are being done when building the nx4. I have a list made out for when my gaui comes in. Thought this would be a big help for those that are new to the nx4 including myself. For those that already have the nx4 please add any pointers and/or issues that would help us newbies out. I will copy and paste some that I have noted for myself.
  • Double check the magnets for the govenor before attaching them. I am new governors so this was good to know for me. Posted by Gawl (The dot trick will work, but you need to mark them when they are stuck together. Opposite poles attract, so when stuck together, you have a north stuck to a south pole ect. If you mark them then, you end up marking opposite poles. As long as you install with both marks up or down then you should have opposites showing.)
  • The align rpm sensor seems to be the most common used Posted by caralmar (I have already mounted the magnets, but when I look at the actual Align sensor, the connector is not a standard servo connector. Also, I read that the black and red must be swapped... so before I cut into anything, I want to make sure of this.

Here is the sensor I have:
  • Posted by Chris Sexton ( Cut off the spektrum type plug.

install the servo lead pins on the wires as normal. When you put the pins into the plug, instead of doing
    SIGNAL
    POWER
    GROUND

DO:
    SIGNAL
    GROUND
    POWER

done. Plug into Vbar and go to town) I believe this is the same steps you have to take with the sk-540 and may be true with all the fbl controllers. I would have never know to swap the wires!
  • Mounting the rpm sensor using brass inserts Posted by caralmar (Ok, here's what I did for the RPM sensor. I used 2 of the brass inserts from an old Trex500 pitch slider tail I had laying around. I used a washer on each side of the frame and a washer on the sensor itself. Trickiest part was lining everything up and then tightening down on the bolts.

• For the header tank several are using the quick uk tank and jc used a thunder tiger header tank held by zip ties. Some pics and details posted by caralmar (For the header tank, I used the two smaller spacers and this gave me enough clearance to run the tail servo linkage between the main tank and the header tank. I then cut out a piece of foam and taped it between the tanks to provide some support.

• Double check the measuremnts for the clunk line. Probably best not to use the fuel line that comes with the kit.
  • On the fule tank stopper it is best to use some lube posted by akamullen (Best to use a Plastic/rubber safe synthetic, I have stuck with tri-flow clear synthetic grease for all plastic/rubber uses, like dampers, belts, gromits and plastic gears. It's safe for this type of use. It's by far my favorite)
  • Using the push glo on the nx4 posted by caralmar (Same as in my 700N. I use the Aux port on the Vbar. On my DX7, I flick the switch down to light up the SwitchGlo and I get 12 seconds of juice and the buzzer. If I can't get the engine started and need more time, just flick it up and down again to get another 12 seconds. This is configurable with a dip switch on the unit. You can set it so that it lights the glow plug as long as the switch is activated... but I prefer to just do it for 12 seconds, just in case I forget to turn it off I don't want to burn up the plug.

Works great! Oh, and another side benefit I haven't had to use (and I hope never will)... if you lose radio signal, the buzzer on the SwitchGlo will activate! Like a homing beacon!)
  • Clearance issue with throttle arm posted by jczankl (We used a spacer (from the boom supports) and spaced the Throttle Arm out from the motor. And went off the top) posted by caralmar (I just cut the motor bolt down 2mm. I made sure I had plenty of loctite on that bolt and tightened it down. I'll re-tighten after a put a couple of flights on it once it heats up.

I also used HondaBond to make a gasket seal between muffler and engine.) posted by tauscnc (I found the same. I used a ball from my 600 and link. I also used the "F" part of the horn and top hole on the engine. I also noted my tail servo and throttle servo bolts were rubbing on the align servos so I flipped the bolt around. I also noted the fuel tubing rubs on the canopy and heated the nipple and bent it down till it cooled. Also don't forget to put heat shrink tubing on the boom supports)
  • Using trex 500 boom supports as an upgrade posted by caralmar (Originally Posted by joallen001
    Subscribing to this thread.
    Carlos, on the 500 trex boom supports are you sure they will fit. I may go ahead and purchase a set. Are you going to change out the support bracket also?

Yeah, the support bracket really sucks. That plastic will wear out in no time...especially on a nitro. I put on the CNC bracket on my X5 and it was a great upgrade.

This is an old pic before I switched to the Align supports...
So far this is several things that I have noted to help along with the build. Please add to the list or correct me if I posted something that was not correct. Also I think Gawl mentioned using a smaller fuel line inside the tank. What is recommended?
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good thread. I heated up the nipple on the header tank and stuck an Allen wrench into it. Push it down let it cool. Works great. Also make sure to put heat shrink tubing on the boom supports so the little screws don't fall out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	366043  

Last edited by tauscnc; 11-13-2012 at 10:02 PM..
tauscnc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauscnc View Post
Good thread. I heated up the nipple on the header tank and stuck an Allen wrench into it. Push it down let it cool. Works great. Also make sure to put heat shrink tubing on the boom supports so the little screws don't fall out.
Great tip on heating up the nipple for the header tank. Did you just use zip ties and foam on the header tank? I will have to remember the heatshrink on the boom supports. Awesome tips
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thx. Yes I just used 3m double side foam tape and the 2 zip ties. Works great.

I have also noticed for many this is their first nitro! Awesome. Attached is a pic of my fuel setup....wish I had done this 20 yrs ago. Using a 2s 800 pack, DuBro fuel cap insert. Highly suggest something like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	337
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	366049  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is my fueling jig... Holds 2.5 gallons... Enough for all-day flying with my 700N or a couple of days with the NX4.

AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey I have that same canopy but without the green. And yes we do need almost that much fuel for the 700 lol
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Carlos I have the same fuel pump and use a lipo as well. Where did you get your fuel jug?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by joallen001 View Post
Carlos I have the same fuel pump and use a lipo as well. Where did you get your fuel jug?
I made it from different parts. Someone else asked me about it a while ago... check out this post. I have all the links in there:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=137

Carlos.
AMA #934662
Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thx. Yes I just used 3m double side foam tape and the 2 zip ties. Works great.

I have also noticed for many this is their first nitro! Awesome. Attached is a pic of my fuel setup....wish I had done this 20 yrs ago. Using a 2s 800 pack, DuBro fuel cap insert. Highly suggest something like this.
Where did you get the little plate for mounting the lipo and pump? I have a jug similar to Carlos's. I like it since it does not tip over!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey,

I used a piece of aluminum from the hobby store. I think mine is a bit under 1/8", cut, drill hole, sand, cut, bend.

Nothing to it
Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another post made by jc for those having concerns on parts.
The NX4 uses from the Swashplate up all X4 Rotor head and parts. If you have a swash leving tool for a Trex 500 that will work as well. 8mm Mainshaft.

Frome the Tail boom back is all X4 parts as well Including Front Bevel and Rear Bevel Gears.

Also
90% of the GAUI X4 parts are compatible. Please check the link below for cost of parts. Only things really not listed are Frames, Clutch Parts, and Motor mount.
http://www.empirerc.com/advanced_sea...0d113&x=11&y=5

Pitch settings on the heli are anwyere for 11-13 degrees. Seems as though you may get some bogging at 13 though.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

With the Quick UK header tank, are you just drilling another hole in the frame where you have it positioned? Are you just using a lock nut on the back?

Tried using one of the rear bearing mounting holes, but the feed to the header tank rubs on the canopy and I don't like the look of it.

Enjoying the build so far, apart from putting the umbrella gear on upside and struggling to get my torque tube to run sweet (runs fine now its fitted correctly ). My first Gaui and I'm very impressed.

Cheers,
Simon
Si_B is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use a little foam tape on the carbon main tank holder and use two zip ties around the tank. No holes to drill and works great. Also suggest you heat up the nipple and bend it down, let it cool. The tubing won't rub then.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	288
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	366872  
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Posted by philou3110 Trex 600 fan fits

https://www.helifreak.com/attachment...p;d=1353262089
Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Love it. T-Rex 600 fan is a drop in fit. Thanks again! I had an extra G-force one laying around.. No more . Interesting to see the different fan fin designs / directions. Update: I had to oval the shroud mounting holes just a bit to move it up. Seems the G-Force fan is like 0.5 mm thicker on the edge.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	274
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	367349  

Last edited by tauscnc; 11-19-2012 at 08:56 AM..
tauscnc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Love it. T-Rex 600 fan is a drop in fit. Thanks again! I had an extra G-force one laying around.. No more . Interesting to see the different fan fin designs / directions. Update: I had to oval the shroud mounting holes just a bit to move it up. Seems the G-Force fan is like 0.5 mm thicker on the edge.
Very nice. Thanks for the pic. Nice knowing the trex 600 fan fits. Something that can always be picked up locally for me!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
This is my fueling jig... Holds 2.5 gallons... Enough for all-day flying with my 700N or a couple of days with the NX4.

Where did u pick this tank up at?? Is it designed to be used for this... meaning the top is setup to use tubing for filling
Alignnitro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alignnitro View Post
Where did u pick this tank up at?? Is it designed to be used for this... meaning the top is setup to use tubing for filling
I made this can. Few ppl have asked me about it. All the links to make it are in this post:

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...&postcount=137

Carlos.
AMA #934662

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in