Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

when i had a few gallons to go and i'd given up i did this :

- run engine dry at end of day
- take backplate off engine
- close carb
- put some marvel mytery oil in with some air tool oil (lucas). roll engine over to work in
- store upside down with backplate off (any foul air is free to leave)
- roll engile over every few days to redistribute oil

A bit of a had start but worked well for the last bit.
Big song and dance i know , but i didn't want to do anything to my ys91 in my 700.

You might be able to ask at the store if he can get in another brand. I know cp is very popular ans almost a household name , so it's a safe buy for the LHS. I get in on the bulk fuel buy in the spring. A few cases will last a while on a 50. So if he brings in a few cases for you and you take them , it's a guarenteed sale and he won't be sitting on them.

Hope this helps out.

Martin
Logo 600 8917/ 9188 4035-500 VBC NEO
rcmarty is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some people will have bearing problems, some won't - this is a mechanical device with significant user adjustment facility, meaning no two engines will be run the same.

Some of the things that I have done over the years to try and get the best out of Hypers:

1) Never run dry at the end of a day - all good fuels have a rust inhibitor in them.

2) Close the throttle barrel fully, plug the exhaust and clamp off the fuel line at the end of flying.

3) Store the heli in a warm dry place, not a cold and damp place which will promote condensation.

4) Ignore the backplate touch test if the weather is colder.

5) Read the OS manual, and start tuning the LOW needle first for good throttling in the hover.

6) Tune the high needle for the best stall turn climb at full throttle - ALWAYS go back and check the LOW after adjusting the high.

7) Don't over pitch the heli, then continue to lean the high needle because the heli bogs in climbouts.

8) A heli that has a lean high speed needle and overly rich idle, will produce a lot of smoke in a hover and residue.

9) Recognise that different exhausts have differing back pressure designs, and no 'recommended' needle setting will be correct.

10) Always use good quality fuel that hasn't been lying around for a long time - store fuel in cool dry place.

11) Hot weather will produce less power than cold weather - live with it, don't keep leaning trying to get the same zip you had in cold weather.

Just my two cents,

David

Last edited by v58fuy; 01-25-2009 at 11:02 AM..
v58fuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

All good points except #11.

I think you meant;

11) Warm or hot weather will produce less power than cool or cold weather - live with it, don't keep leaning trying to get the same zip you had in cold weather.

And I would add;
12) At the end of the day, leave the fuel tanks full, to eliminate the effects of exhaust residue on the fuel lines. Fuel does not deteriorate the fuel lines, Exhaust residue does.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeff,

Sorry for my mistake in 11) have corrected it, at the end of the day just trying help some folks.

David
v58fuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

"12) At the end of the day, leave the fuel tanks full, to eliminate the effects of exhaust residue on the fuel lines. Fuel does not deteriorate the fuel lines, Exhaust residue does."

I would modify this, as raw fuel will, eventually destroy the fuel lines:

12) Fill the tank after the last flight, then drain it. Filling the tank will purge the corrosive exhaust fumes.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I would modify this, as raw fuel will, eventually destroy the fuel lines:
I have to disagree.
The fuel line that runs to the bottom of my fuel jug has been soaking in 30% heli fuel for over 10 years now and is just as good as new. All of the plumbing in my flight box is over 10 years old and has been in constant contact with fuel and shows no ill effects.

The idea that fuel destroys fuel lines is a popular myth. Most likely due to the fact that the first line to fail is the clunk line in the fuel tank. The failure of the clunk line is due to the exhaust residue, not the fuel. My clunk line is over 5 years old now, and always soaking in fuel.

Tags
idle & start issues, os50, pinging sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in