Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion

Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers, and Other Electronics Discussion Electric Motors, Gearing, Speed Controls, Gyros, Receivers and Other Electronics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My new motor is not working???

So I put a Scorpion 2520-1880kv in my TT e325s with a HW50A V3 ESC. Running great, but nose heavy with the 6s battery & since I have my Chase 360 on 6s, I decided to go back to 3s with the option of running 4s. So I bought the Scorpion 2520-3500kv. The Timing & Drive Frequency on these 2 motors are the same, so it should be a simple swap....right?

I flick off TH (50% throttle) to test the new motor (blades off)
It's turning the correct way but it's stuttering....not smooth at all... Try again, no something is wrong...then just as I hit TH a tiny whif of smoke comes out from the motor Crapp! Did I just wreak my brand new motor!!

I don't have program card with HW ESC, but Gov. is off & the 1880kv works fine...what am I missing?? I connected the stock TT 40amp ESC, switched my Throttle curve back to linear & try a little throttle & the motor turned but the same stuttering....

Any idea's what's going on here?
rcnorth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Went over ESC settings, lipo count is set to "auto" gives 3 beeps for 3 cells, timing & frequency are suppost to be the same as 1880kv which runs smoothly......

Did I just get a bad motor?.....
Old 12-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok played around with timing & frequency & got it running smooth, although it still stutters a bit on start up.

I read that scorpions ratings are based on their ESC's & that they are all different, so you often have to play around until you find the right settings.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned User

I'm no expert. Having said that, I think there may be a possibility of a short in one of your motor phases. I'm just learning this stuff too, so bear with.

A multimeter doesnt always reveal shorts in motor winds. I'll let our good friend Bruce aka XJet explain.

How to test a brushless motor with a $30 LC meter (6 min 21 sec)
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the reply. I did 2 flights on the motor today & it's running good. I think the 1 sec stutter before spool-up is somewhat normal. On my other 1880kv on my Chase it did the same thing, but I'm running a YGE and I set it to auto timing, since then it starts smooth. The HW doesn't have an auto timing option. The setting I found was setting the frequency up to 24 from the recommended 8.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in