Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default "Junk" Electronics

Been reading for a while now (relatively new to helis, huge airplane guy) and I see a ton of people say that the stock 300X electronics are "crap" and "garbage" but never why... What makes them so bad? I haven't had any problems with mine. I do some mild 3D but nothing crazy yet. Stock transmitter programming for now.

What real advantage would I gain by going to something like a Castle 35 amp ESC or "better" servos?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jfriesl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

remember that you tend to only read posts when something is wrong - plenty of people are running the 300x stock with no complaints. however the things people have noted are:
stock motor has poor bearings that can introduce vibes through use in a relatively short period of time
the servos are ok from a response and function standpoint but gears seem to strip really easily. gear sets are cheap but some upgrade the servos to mitigate this
the esc is fine but at 25A doesn't provide much headroom for those putting in better motor \ servos

so if its fine for you then no need to worry - perfectly capable.

Last edited by numbermonkey; 02-03-2014 at 12:49 PM..
numbermonkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

various people have different experience with stock servos. Some got servos that were dead out of the box, some have few flights and servo would die midflight. Myself, I experienced a locked elevator servo on a 4 flight servo. Admittedly every product may have a bad apple but with Eflite, there are just too many bad apples.

What do you gain from cc 35? governor for one, programming through PC, adjustable BEC voltage as well as have enough headroom to run most 450 sized motors...oh, yes, reliability.

"better" servos? reliability mostly and don't strip easy as most are metal geared.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbermonkey View Post
....the esc is fine but at 35A doesn't provide much headroom for those putting in better motor \ servos

so if its fine for you then no need to worry - perfectly capable.
The stock esc is listed a 25a, not 35. There is also an unsolved "brown out" issue that some speculate is caused b the stock esc.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfriesl View Post
What real advantage would I gain by going to something like a Castle 35 amp ESC or "better" servos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nartac View Post
What do you gain from cc 35? governor for one, programming through PC, adjustable BEC voltage as well as have enough headroom to run most 450 sized motors...oh, yes, reliability.
Castle 35 as in Talon 35? The Talon 35 actually has a fixed BEC of 5.5V, not adjustable. An additional benefit of it is that you do also save 10g weight with it compared to the stock ESC.
Other: Atmel AVR microcontrollers, electronics, 3D printing
helibus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
The stock esc is listed a 25a, not 35. There is also an unsolved "brown out" issue that some speculate is caused b the stock esc.
nary a slip twixt cup and lip - fixed. Thanks
numbermonkey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibus View Post
Castle 35 as in Talon 35? The Talon 35 actually has a fixed BEC of 5.5V, not adjustable. An additional benefit of it is that you do also save 10g weight with it compared to the stock ESC.
Helibus is right. Sorry keep on thinking of cc 50. Plus the Talon 35 has 7amp peak/ 5amp cont BEC which is more than enough to power most power hungry servos.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had massive failures on my 300x to the point where I gave up on it entirely. First the speed controller fried on flight #5, replaced with a YEP 40a and a 5v/5a Hobbywing S-BEC.

Motor lasted about 30 flights. Every motor after that lasted between 10-50 flights before developing vibrations that would cause catastrophic BeastX failures. I started thinking 'is there something wrong with these motors.'

A certain amount of the problem is that it has such a big main gear, and it's noisy too. My main gear hub was not cut straight, as it wobbled out of the box. Absolutely nightmare helicopter.

The servos are GREAT but I did have the tail servo fail after 30 flights. Funny that the same servo worked great on my blade 450 for over 100 flights. I know some people hate E-flite servos, and to them I say "try Align servos. They weigh twice as much and they're just as likely to fail". Once you've had a few Align servos fail, you realize that these E-flite servos are not bad at all.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default "Junk" Electronics

What does a governor do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jfriesl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharicasmi View Post
Once you've had a few Align servos fail, you realize that these E-flite servos are not bad at all.
I would argue instead, that the Eflite and Align servos both have issues that would prevent me from considering them as a "great" (as you put it) servo or anything close to it. "Great" servos just don't exhibit the sorts of issues on the more or less constant basis that these servos do.....

And... ummm.... just because Align servos also fail is not justification for making the Eflite items out to be anything other than they are...mediocre at the very best.... Comparing two ho-hum servos does not make either one of them any better....
65L88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is my 300X experience along with my flying friends.

Motor shaft wearing out causing vibration

Weak servo gears, strip easily

Tail servo burns out

Main shafts snapping in flight

Weak frame

Beastx AR7200bx is great.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Gord.
gwong is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Closed Account

I don't understand the servo trashing I have never once had a servo strip in flight. If you are complaining about it stripping when it hits something then don't hit anything! The plastic gears are cheap $3. I'd rather replace a stripped gear then an entire servo which is usually what happens on a metal geared servos that gets overloaded in a crash. The current spikes when you hit things and burns the servo motor or servo electronics out.

I've had 1 tail servo fail on me which was right out of the box. After that was replaced I've been using the stock servos for well over 200 flights.

Stock motor bites the big one.

ESC could be better but it works.
xokia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had a stock tail servo and one cyclic servo burn out on me mid-flight.
My stock motor developed quite bad vibes.
I used the ESC for 12 months without issue, but decided to upgrade after that in order to get a governor and run a Scorpion motor.
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First I find this general trend funny. After time, it gets old. Soon, it'll get annoying if not already for some.

What trend?

1. Those who have flown the 300X for at least 300 flights tell you stock motor and stock servo (motor) won't last long even if you don't crash. And that's if those didn't break by themselves right off the bat or within a handful of flights. They swapped out the crappy stock motor and servos to more reliable ones and happily put well over hundreds if not 1000+ reliable flights on each of these components. They keep educating that it's not performance that the stock electronics lack. It's quality and reliability.

2. Those who haven't flown 300X hard for at least 200 flights (which is around the time the healthiest no-crash stock servo motor brushes usually about to give up) or those who gave up on the 300X just to come back and say the servos are fine.

3. And then there is the reference to the "team pilots" whose job is to show that stock electronics work and are assured no lemon electronics get to the show. With all the Blade line helis to put on show, you think they've put over 300 flights on their show birds?

Rinse, wash, spin, and repeat until it gets old.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew Esky honeybee CP2 and King2 helis for years with their super cheapo servos......but they were low on the list of worst problems. Glad I decided on the 300x....because I almost bought a couple used blade cp pro 2 on ebay. Hey....I could still get one.....he he!
thruster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
First I find this general trend funny. After time, it gets old. Soon, it'll get annoying if not already for some.

What trend?

1. Those who have flown the 300X for at least 300 flights tell you stock motor and stock servo (motor) won't last long even if you don't crash. And that's if those didn't break by themselves right off the bat or within a handful of flights. They swapped out the crappy stock motor and servos to more reliable ones and happily put well over hundreds if not 1000+ reliable flights on each of these components. They keep educating that it's not performance that the stock electronics lack. It's quality and reliability.

2. Those who haven't flown 300X hard for at least 200 flights (which is around the time the healthiest no-crash stock servo motor brushes usually about to give up) or those who gave up on the 300X just to come back and say the servos are fine.

3. And then there is the reference to the "team pilots" whose job is to show that stock electronics work and are assured no lemon electronics get to the show. With all the Blade line helis to put on show, you think they've put over 300 flights on their show birds?

Rinse, wash, spin, and repeat until it gets old.
+1.

But I'll take it a step further... I'll bet anyone $25 that I could fry one of their "fine" stock servos within 25 flights of extreme 3D, all while following the "treat them well" advice they're spewing out. If anyone wants to take me up on that bet, I live in eastern Tennessee and will gladly do a weekend demonstration when the weather warms up to prove my point.

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
+1.

But I'll take it a step further... I'll bet anyone $25 that I could fry one of their "fine" stock servos within 25 flights of extreme 3D, all while following the "treat them well" advice they're spewing out. If anyone wants to take me up on that bet, I live in eastern Tennessee and will gladly do a weekend demonstration when the weather warms up to prove my point.
who's buying the shine? sounds like good times, wish I could make it... already tossed in on the great lynx motor "review"... good times.
Centurian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well my 2cents worth,

I had a stock tail servo burn out in flight but I'm a nubb and am only doing very basic fliying, Also broke a main shaft and have replaced servo gears in 2 on the cyclic servos. I havent had any bad crashes at all, just a couble of tip overs, I have since replaced all the stock servos as well as the stock motor. The new 8 buck motor is FAR FAR better than the stock one, I will go as far to say that It made my 300x a diffrent heli, SUPER smoothe, no more loud high pitch whine.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
2. Those who haven't flown 300X hard for at least 200 flights (which is around the time the healthiest no-crash stock servo motor brushes usually about to give up) or those who gave up on the 300X just to come back and say the servos are fine..
They hold up to tik toks and a general thrashing just fine. I've got over 200 flights on mine. I have 14 batteries I take with me each session. They have held up better then the ds415s on my trex 450 pro. I've either burnt those out after a single crash or just had them fail in flight. All brushed servos have a finite life some better then others. I've been generally happy with what the stock servos provide. I for some reason like to fly very close to the ground. So occasionally I'll catch the tail when doing tik toks. Usually ends up with the heli rolling across the ground. Replace a few $3 gears and the servos keep going. I've probably burnt out 3 servos total. On the 450 with ds415s I gave up I replaced sooooo many burnt out servos. Those I replaced with the HK servos and they have been way better. I'm no team pilot and have nothing to gain here.

To each there own I suppose. I tend to try and fly what costs me the least amount of money. Stock servos are cheap, gears are cheap and anything over 200 flights and I'll be happy.
xokia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: "Junk" Electronics

The cheap hobbyking Corona 919MG metal gear servos are less than half the price and so far the servo motors last at least a few times more than what you have run stock servos which I am not the only one who have bad experience with right out of the box. One stock servo seized without crash. The other 2 caused mysterious brownouts where swapping those out for TGY S306G-HVs drawing double the current totally eliminated the brownouts. The tail servo lasted 150 flights and the replacement KST last at least 1200 flights so far. That in my book the stock servos are crappy electronics.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in