Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 700 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The Logo 700 XXtreme...some hints to help.

As the release of the Logo 700 draws near, I want to post three specific things about the building and maintaining of the 700 (and a few general comments), that I can pass-on from our experiences that will make your building and maintaining the 700 easier. No use everyone learning it all from scratch.

1) Anyone who’s owned a Logo 500/600 series is familiar with the steel pin in the main shaft that drives the front tail belt drive pulley. The 700 drives its front pulley the same way. The Logo 500/600‘s steel pin can be easily installed from the bottom, before the main gear is installed. But the 700 has a third bearing block, and thus the pin must be installed after the main gear in installed, and thus the procedure is a little more “tedious”. The process is well described in the instructions, but let me add this. I’ve seen on occasion where the fit between the main shaft hole and the steel pin is tight (due to a burr in or on the shaft hole etc.), and getting the pin in during assembly was difficult. The procedure for installing the pin is “tedious” enough, even when the pin slips inside the hole easily. It becomes practically impossible if the pin fits tight, or is obstructed by a burr etc. So test fit the pin prior to stabbing the main shaft, and make sure the pin goes in easily. Once you accomplish the procedure a few times, it’s not so bad. But the first time I did it (and others have said the same thing), it can be a little trying on your patience, especially if the pin won’t go into the shaft easily.
2) The head will most likely come assembled (as with the 800). The o-rings in the head are very hard, and their fit into the head yoke is VERY tight. My recommendation is to NOT remove them just for grins, as they are tough to get back in the head yoke once removed. After a crash, you can determine if the spindle is bent or not, by removing the blade grip control arms (they might be bent anyways), and spin the blade grips on the spindle (the head is still assembled at this point). By viewing the gap between the blade grip and the head yoke, it’s easy to see if the spindle is bent or not. As you spin the grip, if the gap between the grip and the yoke doesn’t wobble, then you’re good. Even the slightest bend in the spindle will cause a perceptible wobble in the gap spacing, so there’s no need to disassemble the head just to see if the spindle is bent or not. If the spindle is good, but you need to remove the grips to maintain the radial or thrust bearings, you can pop one of the spindle bolts loose, remove that blade grip, and use a “grippy” (the spindle is 10mm), or Logo 600 one-way bearing and channel locks, to hold the spindle against torque while you break the other spindle bolt loose. Remove the opposing blade grip, but then leave the spindle in place in the yoke. The o-rings are VERY durable, so ditch the notion you’ve got from flying other helis that you need to replace the dampeners often. They’ll go a season. If you MUST replace the spindle, reassemble using new dampeners, as they will be dry with no oil on them (and don’t oil them initially, or else they will be too slippery and just pop-out of the yoke when you install them). Install the o-rings into a clean yoke, dry of any oil (both sides), and then using a Q-tip wetted with oil, lube the inside of the o-rings prior to slipping in the spindle. Pushing the spindle through the o-rings takes some effort, and you’ll have to support the o-rings on the side the spindle exits using a socket etc., in order to prevent the spindle from just pushing out the installed o-rings. Trust me, THE FIT IS TIGHT, and that’s why once installed, you don’t want to remove the spindle and o-rings unless it’s absolutely necessary.
3) The tail box bevel gears as they wear-in, will eventually need to be tightened-up, especially if you are an aggressive 3D pilot doing lots of hard piro reversals etc. The following procedure is known to all the guys who have the Xxtreme 800 (same tail box), and has been covered in detail in the XXtreme 800 forums. In order to accomplish this (looking at the heli from the rear), you have to remove the tail shaft, and remove some of the plastic off the right side of the molded gear, which allows the shaft and its integral gear to “drift” to the right, eliminating play between the two bevel gears. The shaft and its integral gear are super easy to remove (WAY easier than on the Logo 500/600), and once you have the tools laid-out in front of you, and know what to do, you can have the shaft out of the tail box in about 90 seconds. Once the shaft is out, you can remove some of the plastic by chucking-up the shaft in a drill press, or even use a hand drill with a helper, and shave some of the plastic off the spinning shaft using a new sharp x-acto blade. Remove only about ½ mm. Then using 1/10 mm shims and some trial fits, the goal is to take all the play out of the gears without them being tight (you’ll have the typical high and low spots, but strive for little or no backlash, but not tight on average), but also not have any end-play in the shaft. Since you’ve drifted the shaft to the right, you’ll also have to add a shim or two on the left side of the shaft, to remove end-play that will naturally develop. Once you do this the first time after the initial wearing-in of the gears, the backlash remains pretty good for a long time. But if it develops again, just take one shim from the right side, and put it on the left. The gears get tighten-up, and the end-play stays the same.

In all other respects, the build of the Logo 700 is like any other CF framed model. No surprises. And other than checking the tail gear backlash from time-to-time, and keeping nuts and bolts tight, the machine is practically maintenance free. Just keep the shafts clean and oiled, charge and fly. The very first bearing that will probably (eventually) go south on you will be the motor shaft’s counter bearing support bearing (same bearing as used in the main blade grip of the Logo 600). This bearing takes a beating due to the main gear constantly trying to spit-out the pinion. But the motor is so easy to remove and install, getting to the bearing and changing it is no sweat (much easier than on the Logo 500/600 series). The front tail drive belt has no adjustment…just build and forget it. We’ve never had a belt strip on us, or need replacing from wear. The gear mesh on the main gear is far less critical than on the Logo 500/600 series, and a little backlash has proven to not be an issue. Also, some play will develop between the front tail drive bevel gears over time. For some reason, being farther forward in the drive train helps make these gears harder to strip, even when some play has developed. Because these gears take some effort to get to in order to remove the play, we’ve pretty much ignored these as time’s gone on, waiting for the eventual “strip” from lack of maintenance. The “strip” has never happened. They just keep ticking away. Of course if we have the frames apart from a crash, we check them and adjust, but as a general rule, they are ignored, and the play that develops over time has never cause us any problems.

As with any new model, the community will experience a learning curve. This happened on the Logo 800, and will no doubt happen with the Logo 700. But the info above will help shorten that curve some (I hope).

(-: Dave
joserctrex likes this.

Last edited by dahld; 09-03-2012 at 10:07 AM..
dahld is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What a lengthy article.
Thanks for the tips Mr Dhal.
Any hints on the bundle accompanying the l700, speed controller, motor ?
KIndly let us know

thanks
D
Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

As far as I've been informed (all unofficial "pit talk" with Mikado at the events we've attended this year), it looks like it will be the exact same set-up Kyle has been flying most of the year...which is the mechanics plus the Scorpion 4525-520, YGE 160 (same as on the XXtreme 800), Silverline V-Bar, Edge 713mm mains, Edge 105mm tails, and possibly an included 2S Lipo RX pack (we've been using a 1350mah, which is good for 3-4 flights safely), since the YGE doesn't have an internal BEC.

All you add is four servos, radio receiver, regulator if you're not using HV servos, and 12S batteries.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, real nice
Thank Mr. Dhal
regards
D
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahld View Post
As far as I've been informed (all unofficial "pit talk" with Mikado at the events we've attended this year), it looks like it will be the exact same set-up Kyle has been flying most of the year...which is the mechanics plus the Scorpion 4525-520, YGE 160 (same as on the XXtreme 800), Silverline V-Bar, Edge 713mm mains, Edge 105mm tails, and possibly an included 2S Lipo RX pack (we've been using a 1350mah, which is good for 3-4 flights safely), since the YGE doesn't have an internal BEC.

All you add is four servos, radio receiver, regulator if you're not using HV servos, and 12S batteries.

That would be sad Dave to dictate what Mikado wants to be included and not included in a kit. It was understandable for the 800 but not for the 700. Although a combo kit will save some money but it is not an execuse not to have a kit only and leave some to pick what they want for blades, motor, ESC, etc, here we go another wait for a kit
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1

I understand it on the 800 , but for the 700 let us pick our own components, the only thing different is the 8mm shaft which most of the 700 motors can be fitted with.

epc2.
epc2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, all I can say is "no comment" on the bundle thing. And although I realize I'm an easy target here on the forums, it's a waste of time directing dissatisfactions with Mikado's business decisions at me, as I don't pass-on such comments to the company (although they might visit the forums and read them for themselves).

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

No please Dave don't understand me wrong, I was not targeting you or Mikado, I was just expressing my disappointment if they went with the combo option only and not offering the kit like the case with logo 400/500 and 600. At the end Mikado does what they want and when the demand is low they will offer a kit only option. For me personally, I am not buying unless a kit only option is available that's why I said here we go with more waiting. No offense to you Dave.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ abanihani,

No offense taken. I only commented because when the 800 came out in bundle only, I got some really nasty hate mail over the issue. Probably because I had been such a focal point for information about the new model for so long leading-up to its release, guys I guess assumed I had some say in the matter...which I don't...not even close to having any say.

I suspect there must be (in the big picture that we can't see from being outside the business), an overall benefit to the company (because other companies do the same thing as well), by selling the product in a bundle form. If there wasn't, they wouldn't do it. Business is business, and businesses are in existence to make a profit...not to loose money and go out of business.

And as you said about the demand issue, I suspect Mikado being the smaller company that they are, and producing a popular product like they do, will have demand exceeding their production capability for awhile anyway.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Thanks for that info on the 700 much apreciated Dave
Diablo S coming
Karl57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you Dave....thank you
LOGO800 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dave thanks for all you do ... you and your son are a credit to the hobby!

Goblin 770 Comp, XXtreme 800, XXtreme 700, Kraken 580, TRex 450 Dominator, GooSky S2, Futaba CGY760's and 32MZ
gadawg58 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well thanks for the kind words. In other places and by some others on these forums I've been referred to as arrogant, condescending, rude, and an embarrassment to Mikado and their good name

Probably when I get on a role and start talking "facts" I know to be true, that fly in the face of someone's "opinion", I can come across as described above. Gotta work on that

So now rather than offer anything in rebuttal to an "opinion" on the forums, I just answer questions if I know the answer

Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im also waiting,waiting,waiting for kit only, i use kosmik and jive, wind my own motors so dont want to pay for things i dont want, its awesome heli, my friend just got one but ill wait, ........a little while
Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dave……..I think you should be yourself (kind, helpful and committed) so don’t think about people that say such words……… please continue answering our questions and help us with this great hobby as you have done before without thinking about those thankless people. I personally enjoy and understand very well the way you explain things………you are one of the reasons that I am at this stage(hard 3D flyer) in this hobby….thank you again
LOGO800 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolla View Post
Im also waiting,waiting,waiting for kit only, i use kosmik and jive, wind my own motors so dont want to pay for things i dont want, its awesome heli, my friend just got one but ill wait, ........a little while
february to be precise
Haiyin
tommeke is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I made it a point to seek Dave out at IRCHA this year to thank him for all the help he gives.

He doesn't get paid for this (Posting on the forums) Though getting to fly around and hang out with his son at various events is probably payment enough (I am sure Mikado pays for Kyle don't know about Dave as well but even if they do more power to them)

He tells you how he sees it and in a way that lets you know this is HIS opinion not Mikado's and is ALWAYS honest about what Kyle uses or is sponsored by.

Heck he has to swipe Logo's from Kyle so he can fly!! (Did you ever get an XXtreme 800 back running for your use Dave??)
Logo XXtreme, Kosmik, Pyro 800-48L Futaba 157s/256. Henseleit TDR, Pyro 700-52, 120 Jive, V-Bar 5.3, BLS253/251. Logo 600SE, Scorp 5020-450KV, 120 Helijive, Futaba 451s/251. Logo 400, Align 510MGs, JR 8900G, Kontronik Jive 80+ LV,Mini Pyro 400-14,
jtjohn1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love everything about it. No complaints here.

Thanks, Dave. I'll pass any of my findings to anybody that wants to hear it. All ya gotta do is ask. I thought it was a painless build. The only issue I had was setting up the vbar governor with my jr9303. Didn't really go like Mr Mel's video. I couldn't get rid of the dead space prior to initial spool up. As I've never set up a governor before, I was not certain which port the yge went to...servo or sensor. I used sensor. Also, the screenshot in the manual uses a gear ratio of 9.722. I calc'ed 10.294. Running 2075 on the head speed. It flies hella nice!
10pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

@ 10pilot,

I've yet to look at the 700's manual, but you are correct. The 9.722 is the ratio for the logo 800 using the 18 tooth pinion. With the Logo 700 using the 17 tooth, it's 10.29.

@ jtjohn1,

Well, for better or worse, Mikado gets me for free . But I do get some of Kyle's hand-me-down helis And I did get the 800 back too

Old 11-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again, Dave. I'm actually surprised I caught it. Trust, but verify has become a mantra...
10pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in