Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Scorpion motor question

Been thinking about a new motor for blade 4503d. Which one is better for this heli:

Scorpion HK-2221-6 V2 Brushless Motor (4400Kv)
or
Scorpion HK-2221-8 V2 Brushless Motor (3595Kv)

Is there any mods that need to be done to make it fit into the 450 3d? Can I use the stock ESC for either of these motors as well?
TN Terry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had 2 of the -8s they are great motors. Plenty of power for 3d! the -6 is sopose to be even crazier. Your flight times w -6 will be slightly less. They are both great motors. You will have 0 problem tossing around a trex 450 with the -8. It is a drop in for the Trex im not sure about the Blade.
motorcycleguyr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Scorpion motors for 450 3d

Posted this on main forum and got one reply. Wanted to see if any 450 3d owners have tried the below and your thoughts.

Been thinking about a new motor for blade 4503d. Which one is better for this heli:

or

Is there any mods that need to be done to make it fit into the 450 3d? Can I use the stock ESC for either of these motors as well?
TN Terry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My dads got the -8 on his blade 400 not cause needed power have it tame down to like 2500hs but it can be a monster if you wish.
The -8 good for stock batterys and esc should be fine the 6 might be heating things up

Been a while but dont think he had to do anything to make it fit but it is a taller motor then stock

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also looking for an upgraded motor. I was looking at the 440 but it is out of stock. How do i know what to look for (specs ect...)? Hope you don't mind me jumping in
pbfaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hk-II-2221-2010kv on 6s and don't look back!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
aviator493 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Terry View Post

or

Unless you want to mess with gearing or have a much higher head-speed get one with a Kv fairly close to the stock motor.

Stock ESC is 35A? Too little for these motors, you want a 50-60A esc for them.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Get the -8. The -6 is more power than you need and will result in short flight times and hot equipment. I just replaced my stock E-Flite 420 motor with the -8 and it has WAY more power.

BTW you can get the Next-D motor which is exactly the same as the Scorpion motor but was intended to be used in the Curtis Youndblood heli's. The only difference is it is a different color. It is $55 vs $80 for the Scorpion.

http://www.experiencerc.com/store/nd...tor-p-343.html
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post

BTW you can get the Next-D motor which is exactly the same as the Scorpion motor but was intended to be used in the Curtis Youndblood heli's. The only difference is it is a different color. It is $55 vs $80 for the Scorpion.

http://www.experiencerc.com/store/nd...tor-p-343.html
It's not exactly the same, I've personally spoken to a scorpion rep about this. They won't give exact details on the differences, but they hinted at the CYB model having the V1 bearing set and slightly less powerful than the scorpion brand V2 model.

It would be awesome if someone with the CYB -8 could disassemble and report on at least the bearing question.

To the OP: I have both the -6 and -8. The -8 is more than enough power IMO. The -6 is unnecessarily powerful for anything but the most hardcore 3D.

TheMark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally wouldn't use the stock esc.

Check the 450X forums on how the scorps are modded - you will likely need to do a tiny bit of work. There's a thread there. You just have to make sure the pinion clears the tail gear and the wider flanged bit of the base of the pinion you choose (if it exists) doesn't eat the main gear.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMark View Post
It's not exactly the same, I've personally spoken to a scorpion rep about this. They won't give exact details on the differences, but they hinted at the CYB model having the V1 bearing set and slightly less powerful than the scorpion brand V2 model.

It would be awesome if someone with the CYB -8 could disassemble and report on at least the bearing question.

To the OP: I have both the -6 and -8. The -8 is more than enough power IMO. The -6 is unnecessarily powerful for anything but the most hardcore 3D.
Could be? But either way for $25 less it is still worth it. Plus the Next-D motor already has a flat spot in the shaft for the pinion set screw.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I have 2 Trex 450's both with the -8 and 2 copterX 450's one with the -8 the other not even sure!

The -8 has plenty of power (3595 Kv) - with a 11T pinion you can get around 2800rpm (great for starting out/learning) - with a 13T pinion get up to 3300rpm (more than I need!). As stated before, the -6 has more power (4400Kv) and Scorpion states you need at least a 55amp ESC. With the -6 and a 12T pinion, you can approach insanity with 3700 rpm!!!

I run Castle 50 amp esc's in both copterX and one of the Trex, and a 75 in the other Trex (only because I got a deal on it! - otherwise I would be running a 50).
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

According to Lucien Miller from Innov8tiveDesigns.com you can run the 2221-8 on a 35 amp ESC if you keep the rpms below 3000.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why not just go 6s? Half the amp draw and more power throughout the flight? Plus cooler electronics even running at 32 to 3600.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
According to Lucien Miller from Innov8tiveDesigns.com you can run the 2221-8 on a 35 amp ESC if you keep the rpms below 3000.
the motor is rated for max 45 amps... when you punch it hard, you will exceed 35 amps...
Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've just finish installing the 2221-8 with a 12T scorpion pinion. Headspeed is a little more than stock, but the motor has much more torque so it doesn't bog when pushed. I've ruined 3 eflight motors in 6 months. This will be the 4th motor ive put in this bird, but... it's rebuildable.

Quick easy install:
- Use one 3/8th in washer from the hardware store to use as a shim between the the motor and the stock mount. You'll need to drill two holes in it (use the stock mount as a template) so the motor screws pass through from underneath.
- While your at the hardware store, pick up two 3mmx12mm screws. (longer to reach through shim)
- The Scorpion pinion does not have a taper to it. Just slip it on and adjust for proper alignment with the main gear.
- Adjust gear mesh lash, and fly.

No fuss, no muss, no grinding main gears, no grinding pinions, no cutting shafts, no replacing ESC with this setup.
Eggbeatr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog View Post
the motor is rated for max 45 amps... when you punch it hard, you will exceed 35 amps...
The motor is rated for a maximum of 45 amps but if you are using a 11 or 12 tooth pinion, with a 150T main gear, you are not going to pull nearly as many amps as compared to a 13 or 14 tooth pinion that many run in the Trex 450.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez View Post
I personally wouldn't use the stock esc.

Check the 450X forums on how the scorps are modded - you will likely need to do a tiny bit of work. There's a thread there. You just have to make sure the pinion clears the tail gear and the wider flanged bit of the base of the pinion you choose (if it exists) doesn't eat the main gear.
you do know the 450 3d and X use a 35A esc, not the old b400 crappy 25A however thats whats in my dads 400 right now but i do not trust it.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent eggbeatr!
pbfaster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfrog View Post
This is true. The motors are 400+ watts, even up to 500 maybe.

The stock speedy will probably cope, I suspect, with some headroom, but I do not know how well.

Ok it's a cheap-ish heli, should you go to town with it on a speedy?

I think it might be wise to get an ESC upgrade, to one with a governor, and gear it for one. That's just me. A cheap YEP45A from hobby king is what I'd try, but you can go all the way to a CC I guess.

Alternatively take a punt on an -8 and gear it for no gov stock esc.

Either way - just be cautious - they are both cheap speedies, stock or YEP. If it goes in, it goes in. shrug. Just be careful and safe.

spykez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in