Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also have never had a malfunctioning unit. I fly airtronics with a external receiver for the same reasons as Marshall.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH1H View Post
As for ''how a system cope with failure that is important" this is BS. A unit that fail - stop working - when component fail inside a unit - it fail - what the unit does then is anybody guess.
You assume that it is a harware component failure. I think it is a software issue - a bug. Writing software involves checking that the system is in a valid state and handling errors. If there is a problem then it should not continue as normal. Certainly not switch the flight control system from Mode 2 to Mode 1, or reverse the Aileron chanel.

Quote:
As for your suggestion to check the tilt you invented nothing there..it is in the FBL unit instruction.
Never said I did invent anything. In fact I was only replying to your own suggestion. I replied: "Yes exactly, this is what I do before every flight on all my helis". I even quoted your own post.

Quote:
To get to the bottom of it.. I disconnected the power to my Total G right after a few second of powering it...then plug it back on...it initialized fine
The I did ti again..waiting for the RED led to come on and disconnected again...powered it again and it initialized fine
Then I did it a third time..waiting until the AMBER led came on..an disconnected the power to it..then reconnected...the unit initialized as normal.
This is not the thing to do..but it show that you might have another issue. My unit work fine.
Disconnecting the power for a few seconds is not fast enough. When connecting the power normally it's more likely the disconnection will be a split second.

Quote:
There is nothing in connecting a 12S packs - the spark do not affect the Total G anyway the unit I have on my FAIFA.With that said and tested..my unit is a early unit with the V2 update.It has 500 + flight on it.
I never said the spark was the cause of it. Again I was just replying to your own post saying that the spark doesn't bother me. Again I quoted your own post. You seem to frequently take things out of context just to argue.

Quote:
Look at all the treads and you will find that there is equipment failure happening in all brand.
Yes of course again, but I don't think this is hardware failure because when it initializes correctly it flies perfect without failure. The problem is only if initialization fails.

Quote:
Get your unit repaired or get rid of it - but stop bitching about it.
Like I said I am happy with my unit because I know how to work around the issues. My concern is for safety of other people using TotalG. I am just reporting my own experiences with the product and sharing it with other users. You have no right to silence me on this ussue. If you don't want to read my posts then you can add me to your Ignore List. That way you won't ever see any of my posts.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is an update that cures the occasional bad initiallazion on some Total Gs .
Give Brian a call and check with him....

It's still safe to fly when it's properly initialized (which I do before every flight anyway....)

Don C
Sky Dancer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Dancer View Post
There is an update that cures the occasional bad initiallazion on some Total Gs .
Give Brian a call and check with him....
Thanks, I will get in touch with Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Dancer View Post
It's still safe to fly when it's properly initialized (which I do before every flight anyway....)
Yes, I've never had an issue in flight. Once it initializes it works perfectly.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

All I know is I will be nowhere near a Heli with a total g doing high speed level hurricanes. I have seen two total re-kits because the tail blew out. My buddy in California took both of his total g's off his Helis because although he liked the way they felt in the air, the tail was always suspect. This guy knows the total g very well so it is not an ignorance issue. I don't need to try one myself when I have watched these problems first hand.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I have seen two total re-kits because the tail blew out.
The tail blowing out sounds like the heli had a tail rotor problem (maybe a defective servo that just wouldn't hold).

Total Gs simply don't have a TR blowout issue.

I believe Total Gs have one of the best "world class" TR gyros out there....

Don C
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Total-G's do not have tail issues, I've never seen what you describe with a Total-G. That just does not happen. I've seen where the gain was wrong, the servo arm too short, or other mechanical problems persist.. It still has the best tail control of any unit I've used and I have four of them and do high speed hurricanes every flight almost. Full confidence all the time.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

TotalG was the first FBL unit i purchased. I had endless problems from day one. I contacted support and received a few firmware updates which would fix one problem and create a new one. I never had any confidence in the unit and sold it.

I now own a GT5, CGY750 and vbar. I hate to say it but the TotalG is just terrible compared to the other 3. Doesnt waste your time or money on a TotalG as there are fair superior units available for less money and just work.
Geffect is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm Loving My Total g all three of them. The latest one on a Synergy E7 this thing flys great no tail issues its on rails

I think that Alot has to do with the proper set up and understanding what changes what in the software and being able to make it work for you. I had a beast x v3 IMO that is by far the worst unit i have flown so far. The tail Never seemed to work and was always blowing out
Tommy Wagner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I first recieved my Total G I poured over the manual, updated everything, poured over the manual,
three external recievers all oriented properly, etc.,etc.
Installed it on a TRex500 flew great in a hover, first time in FFF whapo, tail let go.
Re read the manual over and over, read this forum over and over, installed it in my EVO90 and hovered the thing for eight tanks of fuel. Rock solid. First time in FFF, whapo, tail let go. Two entries into FFF two entirely different helicopters, two dead chickens!
At first, I was a strong supporter, even with the tedious learning/setup curve. I thought as long as we waited for this product and with Curtiss' reputation, and for how much it cost, the Total G would be a total no brainer. Wrong. I've been doing this stuff for a looooong time. I don't consider myself inexperienced, or unable to learn complex things, but, I gotta say that I'm looking at a no longer trustworthy component/system that is sitting in the box in which it came and will never go on another helicopter. I would not even give this thing away to someone I do not like. Since 1971 when I entered the RC hobby, I have plunked down hard earned money on many, many highly touted end all, be all items. Very few of them really deliver as promised and I have a whole collection of these things just sitting around that are a Total Bust. This is one of those things. I'll never learn. To quote Jimmy Stewart in How The West Was Won, " Well, I guess I'll always go look at the varmint".
If yours works, good for you! I just thought I would tell my story about the Total G. I'm back to flybars and have not crashed since, although I like the way the BeastX performs at the field and what the guys have to say about them. Maybe someday. Not now.
I just edited this reply. I forgot to plug the Quark gyros. I moved to them and they are the best gyro I have ever flown, bar none! Even my GY611 with servo can't compete with my Quarks!

Breezer1
breezer1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Total G help

Where are you in NJ?

Maybe we can meet up and check things out.

I own 3 Total G units and you are welcome to check them out.

Kevin
mystar60 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi breezer1,

Hmmmm.... Did you ever contact CY Enterprises? They have great service and stand behind their products. I'm sure they would want to know about and test your Total G if it's a defective product.

Total G's don't normally have tails that "whapo, tail let go".

Don C
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

really... the tail letting go? sounds more lie a governor setup issue. had a total g on a 200-600 size class and no one tail issue after jacking up the gain until i got a wag and then backing off a bit...you know, the standard gyro tune.

Stuff for sale
CF_Machete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have 3 of them never had any problems with the tail or anything else for that matter, great units in my book

Tommy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have never had a problem with my Total G. I prefer the feel in flight of Vbar and BeastX but I do not have the latest Total G firmware. Maybe I should try that!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been doing some more testing of my unit and I think I found a pattern of what causes the initialization issue. It never happens on the first flight, only on the 2nd or subsequent flights. Also I've found that it doesn't happen if I give at least a minute between each flight. I think what might be happening is that the capacitors in my ESC still have some charge after I disconnect the battery and the unit hasn't quite powered off before I connect a new battery. Sometimes I will fly several packs back to back. This may be exasperated by the fact I am running 6s, so the capacitors in my Koby 40 ESC may store more charge than those running only 4s, or it could just be that my Koby ESC has bigger capacitors. Anyway, I don't get the issue when I leave the heli powered OFF for at least 1 minute before flights.

I can still reproduce the problem on the bench if I deliberately cause a power interruption while connecting the battery, but now I don't think this is what was happening out in the field because I'm very careful when connecting them.

Hope this info helps.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

After reading this whole thread...

Has anyone put a switch I between the bec and the total g., To cycle the power of the total g independent of connecting battery's,

When the total g was designed I'm sure they were not giving it power with a bec speed control...in the design phase of the product im shure they were using a clean power supply...

I did read the total g can only support 5.5 volts. Max. How many people out there the bec that are using has more then 5.5 volt out? 6v ?

I have not gone fbl yet but just got 2 fbl controllers ...
allen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm running @ 6V. According to this it can handle upto 10V

http://curtisyoungblood.com//TotalGS...yer_Page_2.jpg
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen View Post
After reading this whole thread...

Has anyone put a switch I between the bec and the total g., To cycle the power of the total g independent of connecting battery's,

When the total g was designed I'm sure they were not giving it power with a bec speed control...in the design phase of the product im shure they were using a clean power supply...

I did read the total g can only support 5.5 volts. Max. How many people out there the bec that are using has more then 5.5 volt out? 6v ?

I have not gone fbl yet but just got 2 fbl controllers ...
I'm running a 2s lipo straight into the total g
On my E7 straight to it on my N5c I have a perfect regulator fail safe switch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tommy Wagner
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, about handling 10v

i found a one sheet instruction on it online maybe it was something old that i was reading on it...
i just got a cupple of beast x, and i wanted to read up on the total g, to see what the programming difference is between the two.
i was thinking that i want to try a total g also....
allen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in