Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Raptor 90 Push/Pull collective and Elevator

I am finishing up a Raptor 90 and wanted to get some input on adding the Collective and elevator push pull on the Raptor 90. Is it worth it or is the traditional setup just as good. I am running a Kasama head with 710 blades, BLS351 servos and an OS91SZ. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
73driver is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could look at this web site http://www.raptortechnique.com/index.html has very useful information with regards to Raptors, mostly 30,50 and 60 but there are good information on setting up under electronics adjustments.
lae88 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey 73driver: I have 2 Rap-90 3D's. One with the stock head, and one with the Kasama head. I did away with the push/pull and went to a high torque JR 8717 at 6 volts which gives about 190oz of torque. Have been flying these 2 about 2 years, and no problems what so ever. I personally like it better just for the fact that it has less linkage stuff to deal with, and I found it easier to get my pitch collective centerd at 90 degrees between the pitch arm and servo. Just make sure you check that servo for gear stripping if you get into stick banger mode. As of now, neither servo has given me any problems even with a couple of crashes under their belt :-) Good luck to you and your new Rap-90, its a great Heli.
Oops: Forgot to mention that I kept the push/pull setup on the elevator. It gives a little extra safety and control if one of those elevator links should happen to pop off.

"Depression is nothing more than anger, without enthusiasm"

Last edited by Badger50; 08-23-2009 at 02:39 PM..
Badger50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I got the Kasama head built this last week and it was pretty much straight forward, very similar to the Kasama head for the Trex600. Is there any particulars or recomendations that you could make about the head.
What pitch values were you able to get? and what head speeds do you run?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Driver: I can get 15 +/- pitch on the Kasama head, but I only run 12/12. I use a straight linear pitch curve, and run a Multigov Pro governor with the following head speeds: Normal: I don't use the governor and run 5 30 40 50 80 throttle curve. Idle up 1: governor at 1700. Idle up 2: governor at 1900. I run the YS 90sr with the Hatori pipe, and she runs like a top :-) Good luck to you and your 90.

"Depression is nothing more than anger, without enthusiasm"
Badger50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Raptor 90 all done!

Well I got to say that I finished up my R90 and it flies awesome! I got a set of SAB Red devil 710's Mains and I feel they are a very solid main blade. The kasama head give the 90 a very solid and sharp feel. The Futaba GY520 is an excellent gyro that I feel is very easy to set up and use, coupled with the Futaba Brushless servos is really makes it an awesome flying machine. I really think that the Raptor 90 is a great flying bird, when you consider the price, quality and parts availability it is just a damn good heli..
Old 10-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
cd5
Registered Users

i hope its a damn good heli. i ordered my r90 3d 3 days ago. I wonder if we will start to see a shift in people coming back to raptor??
pilot-rc edge 540 27%
cd5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought my r90 Se just before the avant and align700 craze.
Its a bit on the heavy side , but its a beautifully strong machine.
10 gallons in and no mecanical problems whatsoever.

regarding your Q on the push pull:
I personally would not use any. I dont really get it why they use them.
the play the servo has will exist anyway it just adds weight, more links, more friction, more ajustments and more pieces that can fail.

my advice is ...dont.
I did the same as Badger 50 and use double bearing high Q servos( also have 8717)
the only thing you can do to avoid being affected by servo arm play is: to use as much servo arm travel as posible. That way whatever play you have (or will develop in time) will represent the smalest percentage of the total movement.
Also ,avoid binding near the endpoints so you can have a lasting servo.
iher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in