Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default first person - ap2000, downlink, videocamera

Still impressed with watching how smooth N74DV's Raptor video was. After reading how well the AP2000 stabilizing system works, isn't it now very feasible to combine the stabilizing system, a video downlink, a monitor and fly first person? I've read previous posts about this and there always seems to have been comments about visual reference, seat of the pants missing etc. However, the stability offered by the AP2000 overcomes some of those problems doesn't it?
Not sure how practical it would be, but cool factor is hard to deny. Anyone tried it yet?
SeaHawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have link for info on the AP2000 stabilizing system?
heliplt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've done it with a slowstick and it was alot of fun but I'd be nervous to try with a heli.

one thing is for certain, it really is wise to use a budy box and safety pilot when flyign this way. I nearly lost sight of my slowstick when I got disoriented.

Quote:
Do you have link for info on the AP2000 stabilizing system?
http://spartanrc.com/products/ap2000i/ap2000i.htm

and let me add that I love my AP2000i
AZ ChopperCam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It looked like it could be done with the helicopter too. With the AP200I controlling the pitch and roll, keeping the bird level, all you have to worry about is yaw and height (and keeping oriented as to what you were looking at). If for no other reason, wouldn't this be a tremendous aid to those using CV1/3 glassess for lining up shots? Where you would have only been able to take a quick glance to line up the shot without stabilization, now you have some luxury of much more time to compose and align the shot, don't you. Or, am I missing something? I am not talking about flying completely out of visual range...just short duration first person view to aid in shots.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

I am not able to read all these posts, but is DJ running this stabilizer? I know your video you just posted is as clear and good as any I have ever seen DJ. Looks like from the video you do it all frying and filming?? Pretty neat. :glasses2:
Old 07-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, this absolutely is possible, and I've just done it. I have a Logo 10 setup with an Askman mount, the AP-2000i and the IR sensor from an FMA CoPilot. I take off and get to the general spot I need to be at, crank up the gain on the AP-2000i (using a slider...) to about 50-60% and then trim it out. It holds quite well, even in a steady breeze. Once stable, I can then glance down into a set of low profile video glasses (from Sharper Image...) to see what the camera is seeing. I can spend more time on the camera adjustments now, and less on making sure the helicopter doesn't drift away. It works.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
but is DJ running this stabilizer?
the AP2000i is on my nitro machine right now. That video was shot with the electric ship and was done "hands on"
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Man that is amazing!! AP to the next level, solo!! WOW!!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been doing solo stills with the AP2000i on mine and really like not having to constantly worry about what the heli's up to. I've been flying in higher winds than I would have previously. Not only does it make for a less nervous flight but much more stable yielding more usable shots than before the stabilizer.

Regarding flying by downlink alone with the stabilizer, I agree with DJ. Have a second pair of eyes just in case. For those who haven't tried in full scale aircraft, just getting a few hundred feet above the ground can make familiar territory look totally different. I still wish I had a spare heli to try it on since I've got enough property to do so safely. No way I'm risking my camera rig though!

DJ

Get a camera on with that stabilizer. I'm interested to see if it changes your video results any You do fly smoothly so there might no be much difference!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm still wondering if DJ is using a Kenyon stabilizing gyro. I can't imagine where you would put on on that Raptor, or, maybe its so smooth it doesn't need one. The film clips done from that bird are better than many full size news cam footage. Very inspiring stuff. Can't wait for the Joker version.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

As good as the AP2000I is reported to be, does it even make sense to wait for the inertial system. From what you guys are reporting, it may not be worth the extra cost.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm still wondering if DJ is using a Kenyon stabilizing gyro.
no I am not using a Kenyon. I quit using those when I switched to the Raptor. While they would certainly help if a mount was designed to take advantage of them there is just no way you'd want the extra 2lb on a Raptor.

Quote:
maybe its so smooth it doesn't need one.
yep... it does not come easy, but once the Raptor has been blueprinted and balanced it is one hell of a smooth platform..... and very reliable. I'd also like to give some credit to my mount design Allowing the camera to pivot close to the Raptors CG does alot to remove bumps and wiggles that would normally be seen on other mount designs. A few folks have mocked my oil damper/shock design but hey... if it works who cares?!

Quote:
The film clips done from that bird are better than many full size news cam footage
thanks! That was just an early test flight.... wait 'til I put this machine on the job and get some real world working shots
:cool:
Old 07-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I’ve been thinking of putting an AP-2000i on my brushless flying wing. It should be easier to fly than a helicopter and more forgiving if things go wrong.

-Angelos

Angelos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angelos, I was wondering if anyone ever uses the stabilzing system for fixed wing aircraft. Seemed to me that it might assist those nutty glider guys that like to get their aircraft up over 3000 feet, where there is no way you can see it's flight attitude...maybe they get by with their thermal sniffers...but that only tells them if they are going up or down.
Also, can you give us a flight testing update on the inertial sensor to hold us over until you can start delivering them? From a practical standpoint, with the infrared sensor reportedly working so well, what is the advantage? Given good atmospheric conditions for the infrared sensor, comparing the two on the same day, does the inertial sensor provide better resolution?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The existing AP-2000i can easily be used to fly fixed wing aircrafts with separate aileron and elevator by using the S-1 swash type (no electronic mixing). When I get the time I will make a special firmware for fixed wing to support elevons, flaperons, V-tail, etc. This will be published on the website and you can simply re-program a helicopter AP-2000i with the USB cable to make it fixed wing.

We have a working prototype of the inertial sensor which hovers the helicopter fine but we still have some work and tests to do before se start production. The inertial sensor offers similar resolution that the infrared. The main advantage is that it can be used in confined spaces without interaction from nearby building. The infrared system would have a slight tendency to move away from hot objects (buildings for example). The inertial does not. Regarding atmospheric conditions, the IR stabilisation requires more gain with cloudy weather and this is why we recommend using a slider so that you can easily adjust the gain to the desired level. Of course the inertial system is not affected by weather. On an average day but IR and inertial have a very similar behaviour.

Whether you use IR or inertial sensors the the AP-2000i is the same. So you could start with IR now and upgrade to inertial later if you find a need for it.

-Angelos
Old 07-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

great explanation, thanks. Now get back to the lab and finish the testing so I can order my unit
Old 08-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angelos-
Can I use the AP200i to fly my fixed wing right now? I thought there had to be three valid servos inputs, but I only need elevator and aileron to stabilize my plane. Is there a special firmware for this? Thanks

www.AlohaStateMedia.com
Nate Dogg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes you are right. You need the collective input too to make the AP-2000i happy. For the time being you can connect anything spare to the collective input or use a Y harness. As long as you use the S-1 swashplate type the aileron and elevator signals will remain unaffected at from collective and that should fly your plane fine.

-Angelos
Old 08-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great! Thanks so much!

www.AlohaStateMedia.com
Nate Dogg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in