Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Lets talk headspeed

I'm not into low headspeed sport flying, so looking for the 3d crowd here.

What headspeed are you running?
Pinion?
Governor and type?
Flight time?

Ive noticed very short flights are taxing my batteries pretty hard. 4 mins mild 3d put 90% in. Vs my trex 4:30 puts 60% in. I checked out the calculator and I'm geared for 4050 start of pack with 16t. I have noticed my heli being pretty boggy at the end of flight. So my question regarding your setup is so that I can decide if I need to a) go 15t, or b) govern down to xxxx rpm, c) use yge or vbar governor.

Rpm: 4050 start of pack, 3750 mid pack.
Pinion: 16
Gov: n/a, 100% flat
Flight time: 3:40 to 80%
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm doing what I call soft 3D, just some tic tocs, trying to get my piroflips looking like piroflips and hurricanes loops that kinda stuff.

I'm running a 16t pinion, on a scorpion 2520-1360 on 5S.

Running 2800rpm SK540 governed, it's still pretty damn fast with 13° of pitch (360mm blades too), but gives me 4:30 to 25%.

I've also flown governed so flying without a gov feels way too weird for me.

My 5S HK lipos are getting a bit tired so I am thinking of upgradingto 6S with a 1100kv motor to run ~3000rpm for 3:30 to 4min flight time when they start getting really tired.

Edit : Damn my colleges net, it won't even allow me to post on any vbulletin forum
I had to use my phone's internet to post this
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mild to hard 3D
3300 rpm governed with Ikon
Warp 360 16 tooth pinion
4:00 to 4:30 depends on what i'm doing using nanotech 1300 mAh 35C
Stock 6s motor running align 325mm 3G blades
jimsdpugs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Man, making me feel bad for being on the 3s train. I want to go 6s stretch after I run out of booms and blades

I've never flown a big heli governor before, but I have heard it "feels different" though I don't really understand how. I've been reluctant because of all the tail wag/blowout stories caused by a governor. Will governing improve my battery life?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
Man, making me feel bad for being on the 3s train. I want to go 6s stretch after I run out of booms and blades

I've never flown a big heli governor before, but I have heard it "feels different" though I don't really understand how. I've been reluctant because of all the tail wag/blowout stories caused by a governor. Will governing improve my battery life?
YGE gov store works great . and easy to set up.Should help increase/slightly your flight time.
Gov will help you to maintain consistent HS throughout your flight. With Gov store you set 100% HS with a 4.00v per cell pack, This allows your gov to have some room to compensate for voltage drops during flight. If you use Vbar internal gov,and I am not familiar with, but most external govs work same, It can also "pre-compensate for a hard move. Ex. As you move your stick to full position, gov reacts to boost power before motor lags from a hard maneuver. Then regulates HS throughout flight. As oppose to an internal gov that reacts to the slightest drop in HS and gives power to compensate.
Running a flat curve cannot react to any draw on system resuting in drop in HS or inconsistent flight control.

There is more to it but I hope this is a good basic understanding of the benefit of using a Gov
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't imagine flying an ungoverned heli anymore. The loss of consistent rpm throughout the flight is enough for me to never look back. Flying a helicopter with the RPM sagging slowly during the flight feels arcane and strange. Add in any aerobatics and you'll see the benefit immediately.

The only times I've had gov related tail problems was with Align (made it work eventually, barely), and I've seen it often with castle. I've had slight RPM oscillations with a poorly tuned gov once. This is in two years of flying about a dozen different setups. Most often the govs work very well the first time out. YGE gov store is dead easy. Set store mode, spool, and fly away (in a nutshell).

Do it. You won't look back.

I don't fly over 3400 on my stretch, so it doesn't compare too well with a 325...

For a stretch: 2000 will fly (I've found blades matter quite a lot a really low rpm, some are okay at 1800, but most 2000-2200).

2800 for soft 3d

31-3200 for most 3d

3400 for hard 3d - sadly this kills my packs in about 3 minutes which is a little too short for me... But once I get both my minis running maybe I'll run one crazy for 2.5 minutes, and the other 'normal' for 3.5 and alternate...
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

3400 on a stretch is more like 3600 on a 325 bird. I definitely notice what you're talking about performance tapering off. On a fresh pack its a monster. No bogging, just wicked fast. At the end it's like doing tic tocs with a 130x. I'm a fan of consistent performance, as long as it isn't consistently bad.

The last time I tried gov, the rpm was way too low. Felt boring to me so I ditched it and didn't try again. I think it's time to revisit.

Eta: I set gov store last night. 85% flat curve ready to test. This should target 3400 rpm. This gives about 5% headroom at the end of pack. I know ots going to feel quiet and slugging for a few flights, since I'm used to taking off and beating around at 4000rpm, but its probably safer/smarter to govern down
Old 09-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtyndall View Post
3400 on a stretch is more like 3600 on a 325 bird. I definitely notice what you're talking about performance tapering off. On a fresh pack its a monster. No bogging, just wicked fast. At the end it's like doing tic tocs with a 130x. I'm a fan of consistent performance, as long as it isn't consistently bad.

The last time I tried gov, the rpm was way too low. Felt boring to me so I ditched it and didn't try again. I think it's time to revisit.

Eta: I set gov store last night. 85% flat curve ready to test. This should target 3400 rpm. This gives about 5% headroom at the end of pack. I know ots going to feel quiet and slugging for a few flights, since I'm used to taking off and beating around at 4000rpm, but its probably safer/smarter to govern down
You may notice immediate difference, but once you start to fly you will notice better all around performance. Instead of powering through a move you will be able to enjoy it and really improve your own abilities.You can still crank it up as far as you want, change gearing, whatever, but you will notice difference immediately and wonder why you ever needed so much HS to perform the same moves. I can fly my Protos max below 1500 and do whatever maneuvers I want, just in slow motion! It's wickedly awesome! Or crank it up over 2k and scare the birds away! Either way , with gov set you will have more control
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in