Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Just a quick heads up for those using the new Lynx Tail Rotor

I disassemble all assemblies and put them together myself before install.

If you're using this tail rotor, you should check this:

-The thrust bearings inside had no grease on them

-The thrust bearings were in the wrong orientation. Mine had the larger inner diameter thrust bearings toward the outside of the grips. They larger inner diameter should be toward the hub. Don't know if this was just a mistake on mine, but its worth checking.

-The radial bearings have loctite on the outer race, basically bonding them to the grips - this I don't understand because the tolerances are already tight enough.

-I cleaned all bolts in alcohol and there was a decent amount of machining residue that cameo off them which is a good thing, but you should get that off there before loctiting.

-I use red loctite on all rotating assemblies.

Just a heads up.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

How do you get the bearings out ?
Fooferdoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

After I removed the spindle bolts, I cooked the tail rotor in the oven at 300 degrees for 15 min. Then used a driver and a pinion removal tool accessory to sort of pry the grip off the hub. You'll have to get a little creative. There was some excess loctite around the tip of the spindle preventing the grip from sliding off it, so you have to clean that up as best you can and just work at it little by little.
OXY rep
Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well that was fun.........

Ran into a pretty big issue. I think I read about others having this problem as well. I guess I'm one of those unlucky ones today. Installing my full Lynx tail (Arm, Pitch slider, and tail rotor) and run into this...........

As you can see, the machining on the arm is not symmetrical on the upper and lower section. The upper section sits high above the pitch slider, while the lower section actually makes contact with it, causing major major binding. It is not flyable like this. If you look at the two bolts where the pitch arm is attached, you can see the arm is fully seated and centered between the tail case fork so its simply a bad product it seems.

I know I read some having this issue and having to "modify" the arm to clear by fling it. I am not willing to make such a concession on a tail assembly I just spent $60 for. We'll see what happens now......

OXY rep
Old 06-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lynx will tell you it's a defective plastic tail case moulding. I had the same issue, but with hot air gun and careful twisting you can get it perfect.

Actually I got brand new tail case halves and they did join perfectly. So their is some truth in what Lynx say.
pgleesonuk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgleesonuk View Post
Lynx will tell you it's a defective plastic tail case moulding. I had the same issue, but with hot air gun and careful twisting you can get it perfect.

Actually I got brand new tail case halves and they did join perfectly. So their is some truth in what Lynx say.

I would believe that if I hadn't just taken off a stock assembly that was perfect and butter smooth.......My MiniP has never been involved in a crash and the tail case halves don't even have a mark on them.
OXY rep
Old 06-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was able to loose the bolt on that side and it was ok. Better with the lynx pitch slider. I had a new case on mine and it was still like that.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

sounds like a lot of work. but I bet this explained why I had way to may vibes with this hub when I was at 3000rpms.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The hub has issues as well that I ran into but I can't test it to see for sure.

I just tried lightly heating the tail case forks with a heat gun to try and bend them down a couple mm so the lynx arm would clear. Let's just say my tail case is now no longer usable......

I'm done with this for now. I now have a bird that was flying that is now currently benched with an A arm that won't work and a ruined MSH tail case. Awesome.
OXY rep
Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

That sucks bro, hopefully you can get this sorted out asap sucks to be dwn .
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

so attempted to take the hub apart but one of the bolts on the grips the head broke off. the heat did not really help getting the bearings out I found a motor shaft for this bird was great for removing the bearings. but one of the shim washers got suck before I removed the bearings. it popped out broken then the bearings came out.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Well that was fun.........
As you can see, the machining on the arm is not symmetrical on the upper and lower section. The upper section sits high above the pitch slider, while the lower section actually makes contact with it, causing major major binding
I had same issue with my first one. I send a picture to Lynx and they send me a new one that's perfect.
njs77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

oww..I just push the trigger on the lynx tail pakcage. But I had sent an email to their service department about doing some pre-check before shipping the items. Hoping all are in working condition when I receive it later.

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 04:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you go get it sorted, it's a good upgrade.

I had already made my own thrusted tail grips, using stock parts
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=21

So the pitch level and pitch slider were the parts I needed.
pgleesonuk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks the message in hf we made a quick check on the manuals just to be sure was corect and it is.
Than we open 3 set from our lx stock and we find grease and corect tb onstallation.
I request to disassembly all the miniprotos tail hub just to be sure 100% that the case signalated was just it.
I also open a service issue in my assembly room because I want discovery who made the mistake and why.
Thanks again for the information will for sure usefully in terms of quality.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
ininverno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make sure they don't use too much loctite my bolt broke trying to remove it.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

DC flyer.. what are they doin for yours.. mine came and assembled just as yours did, and after reading this thread... I refuse to bench a flyable bird because of a faulty machined part. I sent a email with pictures detailing the problem to Luca and his service team, have yet to hear anything back.
Hoping this gets worked out because like you said I just spent 60 bucks and would like for it to work. I think I could make the thrusted tail work with the stock slider but, that's not why I bought it.
ZMR 250
Dazhim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got mine yesterday but haven't made any inspection yet...a bit busy this week

Next project:
MSH Mini Protos, 450 Scale Airwolf, BAH Mini Quad
cpmboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Issue was just on few pc silver.
Was possible determinate who purchased the defective one and we already contact they for a replacement.
If you buy silver one but we dont contact you for a service replacement or if you buy red or black your part are ok.
Install it and try it.
If you want made mantenece PLEASE read the manual.
I suggest test first because we are sure ok. I personally recheck all stock and assembled more parts.
Remenber to reduce tail gain. Start reducing 5 point and test.
Any support need let me know.
Luca Lynx

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
ininverno is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just wanted to give a quick update on the new Lynx tail assembly since I had trouble with some of Lynx's parts fitting the stock tail case. When the full Lynx tail case came out I grabbed one and was able to put the entire assembly together last night.

I'm happy to say that the entire assembly is pretty much perfect as far as fitment goes. I was able to put a couple flights on it this morning like this and compared to the all stock tail assembly the difference is quite huge. Its like i'm flying a mini Logo now.

Everything lined up perfectly, all the bolts that didn't require dis-assembly were well loctited from Lynx already. I basically just put it on. When everything is fully tightened down and seated there is ZERO binding and the assembly is absolutely butter smooth with ZERO slop....and I mean zero. This paired with a DS95i tail servo is an absolutely surgical tail now.

While I had the boom exposed I also added Lynx's new little pushrod support which helped tremendously to support and stiffen up the stock carbon rod. I don't know why the MSH rods have so much flex in them, but this little part certainly helped get the tail fully locked in.

Next on my desk waiting for install is the CNC idler pulley and Y-support from Lynx. All this extra weight pretty much necessitates more power so I planned for that and put in the 2520-1360 a while back. Good power, but the weak point is still the pinion which i'm hoping we'll have answer for soon.

Lastly, I found some nice turnbuckles from Midlandhelicopters that were the right size pushrod and weren't too big/bulky for the Mini. I know some were having problems finding some for this heli so I thought i'd mention that.

OXY rep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in