Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Anyone tried these? - MYVU Shades?

Just found these online, has anyone tried them. They look like they are set up well for watching the heli, and then glancing down for the video feed.

MSRP $200 http://www.myvu.com/Shades.html

-A
furyphoto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

for 200 buck, they look like they might be worth a try. All you need is something that is practical enough to allow you a quick look. If you don't need perscription glasses, these would do the trick I think.
SeaHawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I bought a set of the MyVue Crystals (one step above these) and they are pretty good IMO. I would suggest them if you have problems with being able to see a downlink screen. If you have problems with seeing things up close, however, they are possibly problematic - they do sell a optical corrections for them.
iflybyu77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You would need a cable sold separetly (I think)...

furyphoto: You've got a PM

MAAC #77335

franky92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Separate cable?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

it's made for the Ipod video, so you need an adapter

http://www.myvu.com/Accessories.html...nnection%20Kit

second item

MAAC #77335

franky92 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Crystal version has either a universal or IPOD specific model. The universal one will connect to an ipod as well. I got the universal, and it has several different cables included that allow for you to connect to various sources.

One note of caution - this thing DOES NOT come with a charger! I know this sounds weird, but you have to connect it either to a USB port on your computer, or you have to have a USB power supply that you plug in. It will run for approximately 4 hours on a charge, so it's no big deal I guess, and I happened to have a phone charge adapter that works to charge it.

Just an FYI.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location
Default Width of field is important

I did some research on goggles yesterday. As I recall, the Crystal version has a field width of 22 degrees. The goggles typically sold for FPV use have a field width of about 44 degrees.

That is a major safety item to consider. I really like the look of the Crystal goggles and, I like that you can see through them but, the WoF is probably more important in an FPV application.

jrohland
jrohland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I have a set of the Shades version on the way. (as seen at the top of the post). I would prefer if they had full VGA screen like the Crystal version, but I think the "Glance Down" way they are configured will be really good for solo shooting. I will let everyone know when they arrive.

Got em for $169 on Ebay +25 shipping to Canada.

-A
Old 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

please put together a review with some shots of what the view looks like and your take of how well they work for outdoor use. I have a monocal that was 4 or 5 times the cost, but works great for AP solo work. All that is really needed is a view of what the camera sees....it doesn't have to be color or hi-res to work. If these work at that price, it looks like the ticket.
SeaHawk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Any update? Very interested in hearing how well these shades work.
Flightlutions is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The glasses look like they will work well, However I had a bit of a mishap with my photo heli, and am awaiting a new FMA sensor for to arrive, as the last one got batted into oblivion by a wayward rotor blade!

I have tested them with my downlink system though, and the are working well, the picture is clear, and the main line of sight is the world around, and not the video.

I am expecting the FMA to show up this week, at which time I will be able to do some one man photo flights.

More to come....
Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Any updates?
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JlerchTampa (my you-tube crash videos)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/Hat_Cam ("Hat Cam" for recording flights)
JimLerch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

For what I've seen so far the best goggles are the HeadPlay but expensive and a bit fragile (cable connected to the goggles). Support is great, for what I hear. The FatShark might be one of the best choices (cost, durability and a few others specs). It's more durable than the HeadPlay and cheaper by $200.00. It also has a 2.4 TX that you don't have to use BUT it's there if you want it. They both play NTSC and PAL
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am actually really happy for the most part with the MyVu Shades. There are a few things that are a bit awkward about using them. But they are well designed to fly , and keep an eye on your video feed.

Pros:

- It's really easy to look at your heli while flying, and glance down to see what the camera is looking at
- Fairly self contained unit that easily plugs into my videio receiver.
- Clear image with good colour reproduction
- Easy to use, plug and play out of the box, no hassles.
- Perform quite well in bright sunlight (as long as the sun is not shining directly on the screens)

Cons:

-Feel a bit like they sit a bit too far off my face, like they might fall off if I moved too quickly. Also, it is a bit awkward to figure out where to route the cords while waring them. (I cut the earbuds off, the get in the way, and I will never use these for watching a movie. (See last "Con" Below)
- The power supply only charged via USB, so might be difficult to charge on location. If the batteries die, there are no options until you recharge the little power pack. Make sure you charge before you go. A car lighter to USB power supply would probably charge it ok. I have a AC to USB that I can plug into a wall, or into an inverter in my car. There is no AC adapter included, I am using one from a cel phone.
- You cannot focus the viewing screens, so keep your contacts in. I don't actually wear glasses, but I would like to focus the screens out as far as possible so I don't have to re-focus my eyes when switching from looking at the far away heli to the close up screen. I would prefer a "Picture in picture(vision)" type of view of the screen that looks like it's floating out in space near the heli.

- You will look like a complete nerdy, geeky, Star Trek idiot when you are wearing these, so don't try to pick up any girls while wearing them. The will NOT think that they are cool!

All in all, I am pretty happy with how they perform. My biggest concern was being able to see the heli, and just glance down to see the screen. It does take a second for my eyes to refocus when looking between the screens and the heli, but I would recommend them over other glasses on teh market that do not incorporate the "real live" view as well as these do. Most glasses assume you are using them to watch a movie, and block out most of the ambient view. these are designed more to see the ambient, and then look dow to see the screens. Perfect for flying with the occasional glance to check the camera angle. Sure beats looking at my 4 in LCD with 12 inch deep sunshade!

I would recommend them, especially for the price.

If I were going to make them perfect, I would:

- change the feed to only one wire, instead of a wire on each arm.
- Make the earbuds plug in and out-able instead of sissor-able
- power it with AA's so I can change bats easily in the field instead of looking for a USB power source, and waiting for it to recharge.
- make them fit more snuggly to my face
- add focusing to the screens so I could have more of a 'Heads-Up" display, instead of refocusing my eyes
- Make them come with a Mission Impossible style rubber mask so that no one who sees me wearing them knows it's me!

Other than that, They're Great!

-A
Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Excellent reply, thank you for the time and effort in that post!

Let me ask one last question, could you fly an entire FPV only flight with them?

My primary goal is add in aiming a video camera. We have an annual family fishing trip to the Florida Keys, and I thought some HD arial video would be pretty neat.

The secondary goal is attempting 1st person view formation flight with a fellow heli pilot. Nothing fancy mind you, I just want to follow his lead and "Fly Paint" using the FPV setup.

Plus, this sounds really neat, and I've got buddy box stuff setup for all my aircraft, so I can comply with the AMA regulations..
Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Could " I " fly an entire FPV flight with them? NO! I don't have the gonads for that yet!

But there is no reason why it could not be done with these glasses. With the advantage that you wouldn't have to rip them off your face if your downlink failed, you would be able to search the sky for you heli just by looking up. It would also be easy to take off and land traditionally while wearing them. They are definitely less immersive that other glasses that don't show the ambient surroundings, I suppose that could be distracting for FPV flights.

I would looking forward to seeing some aerial fishing video from the Keys. It's been a few years since I have been down that way.

-A
Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Headplay has an adjustable headband. You can focus the visor moving forward and backwards independently for each eye to allow you to focus the video. you can also adjust for IPD in case your eyes are closer to your nose or one of your eyes closer to your ear
The visor helps you to block the sunlight coming from the top but not from the bottom or sides. You can clearly see what is infront of you during landing if you can't do it by looking through the goggles by just lifting your head. You can make it wireless. Good to watch movies during a flight. It has a good quality video. I would consider the Headplay if I were looking for picture quality for sure.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin703 View Post
Good to watch movies during a flight.
LOL, I first read that sentence as "watch a movie during your FPV flight" My next thought was, damn that's hardcore. Third was 'It would be neat to watch the Stargate Atlantis marathon while still making it to the field"

The problem is I'm at a cross roads. I found some of the cheap Myvu Personal media edition glasses @ 320x240 for $120ish , else its the Headplay glasses, and then I might as well go full tilt and get the HD package. But there goes $600....

One thing I'm slowly learning is cheap usually is not the right path. Alternativly, buy cheap, get addicted, then buy the expensive stuff.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLerch View Post
LOL, I first read that sentence as "watch a movie during your FPV flight" My next thought was, damn that's hardcore. Third was 'It would be neat to watch the Stargate Atlantis marathon while still making it to the field"

The problem is I'm at a cross roads. I found some of the cheap Myvu Personal media edition glasses @ 320x240 for $120ish , else its the Headplay glasses, and then I might as well go full tilt and get the HD package. But there goes $600....

One thing I'm slowly learning is cheap usually is not the right path. Alternativly, buy cheap, get addicted, then buy the expensive stuff.
That's where the fun is... anybody can fly FPV but doing it in PIP... that what separates us

HD, I'm not sure how real HD the goggles really are. I did buy the component cable but haven't hooked it up yet. I don't have a HD player and it's kind of a pain to get to the back of my HD cable box... too much junk around the TV area to be moved around. The Fatshark would be my second option or first option if the video quality wasn't an issue for me.

About buying cheap... I'm SO happy I spent extra money and bought my JR x9303 from the start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in