Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default YGE/Brain Setup Q

I'm new to this combo, but very familiar with Kontronik/Vbar. Just finishing up my build and looking for some direction on programming my YGE 60 with gov sensor (latest version) and the brain. I'd like to set it up with the Brain gov. If anybody can point me in the right direction towards videos or threads, I'd greatly appreciate it. I did do a little searching without much luck.....
jakeg1999 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You need the progcard 2 to be able to run an external governor off the YGE phase sensor.
This one works fine and is cheap : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Contrarily to the video, you won't get the ascending beeps with the external gov mode should be working.
As for programming the Brain gov I don't know, but for the SK540 the "gear ratio" you put in is main gear tooth count / pinion tooth count * number of poles of the motor / 2

The 3S and 4S mini P motors have 6 poles and the 6S motor has 10.

Also, if your ESC doesn't have 2 servo wires coming from it then it doesn't have the external gov feature.
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, I'll check it out. I do have the HK version of the prog2 card and my ESC does have both leads.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I think I got it working with the prog card ( I seem to be able to change parameters and follow along with the video) but I can't seem to program with the stick or at least get it to learn the endpoints. I have my endpoints so that they read -100-+100 in the software with 0-100 throttle curve. Not sure if the booting up of the brain is causing an issue. I would supply it with a separate battery but I don't want it to backfeed power into the esc/bec as I have burnt one that way. I am a little surprised that there isn't much info out there with this setup since it's a packaged deal from MSH....Jake
Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg1999 View Post
Ok, I think I got it working with the prog card ( I seem to be able to change parameters and follow along with the video) but I can't seem to program with the stick or at least get it to learn the endpoints. I have my endpoints so that they read -100-+100 in the software with 0-100 throttle curve. Not sure if the booting up of the brain is causing an issue. I would supply it with a separate battery but I don't want it to backfeed power into the esc/bec as I have burnt one that way. I am a little surprised that there isn't much info out there with this setup since it's a packaged deal from MSH....Jake
If you want to set the throttle endpoints using the stick method, you should boot up the brain from a seperate power source, and then connect the esc WITHOUT THE RED WIRE to the brain. This way you'll only have the signal going from esc to FBL and you'll have no issues with backfeeding power.
The reason you have to boot up the brain before is that for security reasons, it will not pass on any throttle signal to the ESC until you've put it to 0 throttle.

Or you can just program the throttle endpoints with the card (you just need to connect the progcard to the brain [not powered seperately], using all the wires), it has worked fine for me.
Aryemis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, I think I am making a little headway. Pretty sure I have the esc programmed now time to do a little test flying, although I don't think I have the gov working properly as when I adjust the flat line throttle curve, the rpm adjusts too and I didn't think it was supposed to with the brain, just that you were to have 3 curves. 30%, 60%, 100% all of which correlate to the headspeed you enter in the brain. Might just have to go with the YGE gov.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, I think I am making a little headway. Pretty sure I have the esc programmed now time to do a little test flying, although I don't think I have the gov working properly as when I adjust the flat line throttle curve, the rpm adjusts too and I didn't think it was supposed to with the brain, just that you were to have 3 curves. 30%, 60%, 100% all of which correlate to the headspeed you enter in the brain. Might just have to go with the YGE gov.
On the gov setup tab in the software, did you power up the heli competely (with no mains and tails) and spool it up? If you do there are places where it says "magnet detect", "governor engaged" (check boxes that are hard to see) and it shows rpm in real time so you can verify it's working.

Also in the bank setup tab, you have to check "enable governor" in the bank you use. Or all of them if you use all 3 banks.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back to the YGE gov for now....
Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, starting to figure out the brain a little, pun intended......by the way this is my first adventure away from Vbar since the very first silver vbar came out, so sorry for all the silly questions........which reminds me, one more....I just realized that maybe I do not have the governor hooked up properly. Do I need to make an adapter for it to plug into the side of the brain in the small 3 pin white socket.....funny enough where it actually says "governor"?

Got a couple hovering, punch out test flights at 2900rpm and 1860. 1860 is actually pretty darn fun except the tail won't hold....need to play more with precomp and get some larger tails.....
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, starting to figure out the brain a little, pun intended......by the way this is my first adventure away from Vbar since the very first silver vbar came out, so sorry for all the silly questions........which reminds me, one more....I just realized that maybe I do not have the governor hooked up properly. Do I need to make an adapter for it to plug into the side of the brain in the small 3 pin white socket.....funny enough where it actually says "governor"?

Got a couple hovering, punch out test flights at 2900rpm and 1860. 1860 is actually pretty darn fun except the tail won't hold....need to play more with precomp and get some larger tails.....
Yes you do need to use the small gov port. In tab 3 in the brain software it shows you which pins are signal, +, and -. I just cut up a spektrum sat cable and a servo extension and made an adapter.

On cc Edge escs you only need the signal wire into the gov port, not the + or -. Not sure about YGE though.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: YGE/Brain Setup Q

Perfect, that's what I thought once I realized my mistake.

Jake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in