Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Testing/Review of the Spektrum module for the 14MZ

OK I have a 14MZ but have not been using it as I put all my stuff on 2.4 using a DX7. I have been DIEING to get back to using my 14MZ and am waiting for Futaba FASST. BUT my local hobby shop (Rob's RC Hobbies in Garden Grove Ca) got in a Spektrum module for the 14MZ and he let me borrow it for some testing.

Below is my review video of this module and it's performance on a eCCPM heli.

Review of the Spektrum Module for the 14MZ (60 Megs)

In the end I will wait for Futaba's FASST system for my 14MZ as I didnt buy a $2K radio for degraded performance. The DX7 is better than a 14MZ with this module. My testing puts in just a bit better than a 9C in FM PPM mode though.

Bob

Last edited by Finless; 05-12-2008 at 05:40 PM..
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hello

i see the site has a new look but now for some reason i click on the link to view the videos and it says to login in but im already signed in ?
ballwall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballwall View Post
i see the site has a new look but now for some reason i click on the link to view the videos and it says to login in but im already signed in ?
They will be fixing that today so hang tight.

Bob
Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default thank you

thank you i was getting worried lol
ballwall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
They will be fixing that today so hang tight.

Bob

Thank you Bob for responding. I am tired and my php is not up to standards as it should be today, I mean look how long it took me to fix the DNS this morning.

I will be working on it ASAP or if you are at Home, call me Bob if you want to hack some php. hint hint hint....
Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJames View Post
Thank you Bob for responding. I am tired and my php is not up to standards as it should be today, I mean look how long it took me to fix the DNS this morning.

I will be working on it ASAP or if you are at Home, call me Bob if you want to hack some php. hint hint hint....
Will I am in the office but if this is not fixed yet I will be glad to see if I can fix the PHP code in the afternoon when I get home. I just need the login to the sever again where that file is stored as I do not remeber anymore.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Video server will be fixed ASAP thank you!!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hurry up..........................!
flymo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Waiting here too, to see if you came to the conclusion because of the same reason as I did...
I got some VERY strange results with the 14MZ & Spektrum module.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys,
I'm seeing some funny stuff too. It doesn't help that the 14MZ's latency in PPM mode has some oddities to it (wider than expected spread) which then impacts the perceived performance of the Spektrum system. But that isn't the cause for the eCCPM interaction issues, just increased total latency.

Finless,
What channels on the AR7000 were you using for the swash servos? I tried to follow in the video, but...

Also keep in mind that with the AR7000 you'll get 1024 resolution but with the an AR9000 you'll get 2048 resolution.

Here's the channel mapping from the 14MZ Function page to the outputs on the AR7000...
14MZ -> AR7000
1 -> 3 (Elev)
2 -> 4 (Rudd)
3 -> 1 (Thro)
4 -> 2 (Aile)
5 -> 5 (Gear)
6 -> 6 (Aux 1)
7 -> 7 (Aux 2)

The channel output order on the AR7000 when used with the DM8 module is: Rudd, Elev, Aile, Aux 1, Thro, Gear, Aux 2

I think you should use the Elevator, Aileron, and Aux 1 channels on the AR7000 for the swash servos to preserve their grouping on the rx outputs. That would mean using "channels" 1, 4, and 6 on the 14MZ. So a full mapping could be...
14MZ "channel" -> Function -> Output on AR7000
1 -> Elevator -> Elevator
2 -> Rudder -> Rudder
3 -> Throttle -> Throttle
4 -> Aileron -> Aileron
5 -> Gyro -> Gear
6 -> Pitch -> Aux 1
7 -> Governor -> Aux 2

- John

Last edited by JKos; 08-03-2007 at 02:31 AM..
JKos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I tried mine in real flight the other day, it felt wierd, if you did 10 tictocs, all of the sudden it went out of whack during 3 of them.

Finless was using correct channel assignment (switch Elevator and Gyro on the receiver cables)
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best combination I have found thus far is using rx channels 1, 3, and 4 for the swash which are 14MZ channels 1, 2, and 3. In this configuration it acts more like it does with the AR9000 in which the swash behaves just fine about 5/6+ of the time and dances a bit for a short time.

But note that this is really only good for testing purposes as using ch 1 on the receiver for anything but throttle is not good.

- John
JKos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Hmmmm interesting. I already returned the unit to my LHS but I bet I could borrow it again.

JKOS tell me why the 9000 has 2048 res since the PPM signal out the buddy box port is really NOT going to change? That makes no sense??? That is like watching a 320x200 video on a hidef TV... You cant MAKE UP "dots" or pixels that dont exist!!!

Also I wanted to know what it was going to be on the AR7000 as if I am going to go buy all new RX's for my helis I might as well go buy FASST! It's gotta be good with existing RX's! FASST better be there too or it will not get my approval!

As MrMel said I went with what the Futaba groupings are for 2048 G3 as it is well documented having ail/elv/pitch on 4,5,6 is best. I found it interesting how that mapped on the RX though so I can understand what your saying a little bit. Your saying the latency is in the RX remapping and not coming from the PPM train is part of the problem?

Bob
Old 08-03-2007, 04:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hmmmm interesting. I already returned the unit to my LHS but I bet I could borrow it again.
Dont bother, even though its better its still equally bad when it goes out of sync, meaning sometime when you fly you will experience what I did the other day.

"WOW, did I hit the wrong stick or what"
Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
Dont bother, even though its better its still equally bad when it goes out of sync, meaning sometime when you fly you will experience what I did the other day.

"WOW, did I hit the wrong stick or what"
Hi MrMel and good to see you on the Freak along with JKos...
I trust JKos and his numbers as everything he has said to date as shown true for me on real experience!

However this random "going out of sync" is just WIERD and you saw it in my video. If that continues even on the mappings John is asking me to try then sorry I aint going to put this on a $2K radio! As i said int he video I didnt buy a $2K radio for that kind of performance........

John, I am going to borrow the unit again and try what you ask BUT I wont do it on a AR9000 as i WANT to see how it will work on a 7000. Again if I am going to buy new RX's I might as well do it on a Futaba solution..... Dont you agree?

Bob
Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

When is the 12z/14mz FASST module due out?
flymo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Late Aug/September is the date listed, so with current knowledge about how much its normally delayed it probably coming out at december..
Old 08-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Capi

My HF Map location

Hey Fin ! From my understanding of some of the protocals on the higher end Futaba is that if some of the channels dont change significantly from frame to frame it will repeat some of the channels that have large changes. This allows any quickly changing channel to have a higher priority over slower changing channels. This might explain why you are getting more interactions on the swash when you add rudder inputs.
DominicD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFG View Post
Hey Fin ! From my understanding of some of the protocals on the higher end Futaba is that if some of the channels dont change significantly from frame to frame it will repeat some of the channels that have large changes. This allows any quickly changing channel to have a higher priority over slower changing channels. This might explain why you are getting more interactions on the swash when you add rudder inputs.
If that were true why dont I see this on the same radio with a G3 RX?
Something is very different on how PCM 2048 works and how the PPM train is put out the trainer port. That is the only conclusion I can come to. My G3 2048 RX never did ANY of this stuff.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in