Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please help me choose

I'm upgrading my charger and power supply to future proof my charging needs. I've pretty much got the power supply figured out; I'm looking to order this

http://www.solidhobby.com/Power24-12...pply_p_13.html

But I'm not sure about the charger. I'm currently using a iCharger 206B with a Junsi 350 watt PS. This works fine for I'm doing now but I won't be able to get even the 300 watts out of the charger without going to a 24V PS. Also I'm looking at moving up to a 450 size Heli minimum and would like room to go bigger if I choose to.

So my problem; I'm looking at both the Power Lab 8 and the iCharger 3010. I like my current iCharger and if I go with the 3010 it's pretty much plug and play for me. I don't know that I will ever need a 10S charger but would like to be able to do more than 6S which from what I can tell the Pwr Lab 8 is limited to.

Making that descion more difficult is that being new I don't where (in Heli size) the jump from 6S to 8S is. In other words is 6S enough for say a 500 size Heli?

I've also read good things about the Pwr Lab 8 and like the idea of programming it with a PC (though I'm pretty much a Mac guy) but is this a function most people really use and is it really useful?

Anyway, sorry for the long post; which charger would you get and why?

Thanks again for your help.
DWill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The PL8 can charge 8S packs. The PL6 is limited to 6S.

The PL8 is more $$ than the 3010B, but from what I hear, is a better charger than the 30xB iChargers. It can do 40A output, vs 30A on the 306B/3010B. It can also do 1A of balancing current, vs 0.5A for the iCharger, so it can balance faster, especially for big packs.

There is not much call for even 8S charging, and almost none for 10S (which the 3010B can do). If you want an iCharger, I'd suggest the 306B instead. I believe the capabilities are the same, if you're running 6S, and it's cheaper. I don't think the 3010B really gets you anything besides 10S capability, and I don't think that's a very useful benefit (if it did 12S that might be different).

The PL8 would carry you through a 700 (12S is typically charged as 2 6S packs in parallel), never mind a 500. I believe that 500's are almost always 6S. The 306B could charge a 700 as well, but is less powerful and slower.

The PL8 can do 40A/1000W for 6S, off 24V. The 306B can do 30A/750W for 6S LiPos, off 24V.

The PL6 can do 32A/816W for 6S, off 24V, and 40A/1000W for 6S, off 30V. The trouble is that 30V power supplies are very uncommon. And the PL6/PL8 have 32V input limits, so you can't use a more-common 36V power supply. So the PL6 effectively limits you to 32A/816W.

The Powerlabs are supposed to be outstanding. If I were buying a charger that size, despite having an iCharger 106B+, I'd probably go PL6, or if the budget permitted, PL8. FMA has a comparison of their different chargers here:

http://www.revolectrix.com/product_selector.htm

The Solidhobby power supply is a good choice.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
The PL8 can charge 8S packs. The PL6 is limited to 6S.

The PL8 is more $$ than the 3010B, but from what I hear, is a better charger than the 30xB iChargers. It can do 40A output, vs 30A on the 306B/3010B. It can also do 1A of balancing current, vs 0.5A for the iCharger, so it can balance faster, especially for big packs.

There is not much call for even 8S charging, and almost none for 10S (which the 3010B can do). If you want an iCharger, I'd suggest the 306B instead. I believe the capabilities are the same, if you're running 6S, and it's cheaper. I don't think the 3010B really gets you anything besides 10S capability, and I don't think that's a very useful benefit (if it did 12S that might be different).

The PL8 would carry you through a 700 (12S is typically charged as 2 6S packs in parallel), never mind a 500. I believe that 500's are almost always 6S. The 306B could charge a 700 as well, but is less powerful and slower.

The PL8 can do 40A/1000W for 6S, off 24V. The 306B can do 30A/750W for 6S LiPos, off 24V.

The PL6 can do 32A/816W for 6S, off 24V, and 40A/1000W for 6S, off 30V. The trouble is that 30V power supplies are very uncommon. And the PL6/PL8 have 32V input limits, so you can't use a more-common 36V power supply. So the PL6 effectively limits you to 32A/816W.

The Powerlabs are supposed to be outstanding. If I were buying a charger that size, despite having an iCharger 106B+, I'd probably go PL6, or if the budget permitted, PL8. FMA has a comparison of their different chargers here:

http://www.revolectrix.com/product_selector.htm

The Solidhobby power supply is a good choice.
Thank you for the info. Very helpful.

Even though I have a iCharger 206B I am leaning to the PL8.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 306B and a PL8. Both are good chargers. Coming from a 208, the 306 would be more intuitive to use, however the PL8 is the better charger. If it was me I would get the PL8, it will be the last charger you will need for a very long time, most definitely worth the few extra dollars.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the solidhobby PS. I started with the 306B and now have the PL8. The PS and PL8 are a fantastic combo and I can charge my big packs very quickly and easily. I like the way the PL works. It asks for the number of batteries in parallel, then you can tell it either per battery amperage or total amperage you want to charge at. You no longer do the math.
Scott1115 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

4010 Duo!

Make sure you read the sticky.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=476431
Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
4010 Duo!

Make sure you read the sticky.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=476431
Thanks for the link. I've read this sticky a few times now and read many of the links.

The 4010 is. really nice charger. It's just way more than I think I'll need.

Of course back a few years ago when I was way into off road RC I said the same thing.
Ended up with a 1000 watt PS, two Competition Electronics chargers and couple Novack chargers. My pit area looked like a mad scientist work station.

Given my other two obsessions I'm trying to do this right once. I've already bought on charger and PS I'm going to sell. Don't want to that twice.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the feather murchant 24v powersuply and power lab 8 best charger ever!! The pc software is amazing too

and get yourself one of these
racerjeffrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered the Power Lab 8 and a Solid Hobby12/24V 1000 watt power supply. Can't wait to get it.

Guess ill put my two week old iCharger and P350 Pwr supply up for sale in a few days.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWill View Post
Just ordered the Power Lab 8 and a Solid Hobby12/24V 1000 watt power supply. Can't wait to get it.

Guess ill put my two week old iCharger and P350 Pwr supply up for sale in a few days.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Not sure of you've considered it, but you could keep the iCharger and run it off the power supply at the same time you are running the PL8. At some point down the road if you have helis that take different batteries (say a 450 and 500) you could charge batteries for both at the same time. Something to consider.

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
Not sure of you've considered it, but you could keep the iCharger and run it off the power supply at the same time you are running the PL8. At some point down the road if you have helis that take different batteries (say a 450 and 500) you could charge batteries for both at the same time. Something to consider.
I'm thinking about that. My guess is I could get 120.00 or a little more the 206 and power supply. Might not be worth the time to sell it; plus I would have a backup if something failed.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you have packs with different cell counts, it might be worth keeping the 206B. For instance, a 3S 450 and a 6S 500 will be charged a lot faster if you can have the two charges going simultaneously, on separate chargers.

If all your packs are the same cell count, then it's less critical. But even then, if you end up flying some packs, but not others (due to a "ground incident", etc), you can use one charger to bring flown packs back up to storage voltage, and the other charger to run unflown packs *down* to storage voltage.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I keep my other 23watt power suply and hyperion 606i charger just for other stuff
Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's true. With the PS I'm getting there should be plenty of power to run two chargers as long as I dint go crazy. I guess I could also just plug in the other PS and run two stations.

I have plenty of heli's that use 1S cells. My son flys those as well.
Might make sense to keep just for that reason. Plus as I said it never hurts to have a backup.

Anyway I have a few days to think it over.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

just remember most lower end chargers run off 12v only
Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjeffrc View Post
just remember most lower end chargers run off 12v only
Yeah I know, the 206B will go to 24V. The PS I'm getting is "switchable" between 12 and 24V. Haven't gotten it yet, it'll be here Friday but ill be in Mammoth mountain biking.

But, it looks like you select which voltage you want by simply plug into eithe a 12V or 24V tap. Don't know if you can one charger running on 12 and another on 24 or not. But the pics show two taps on each voltage output. So maybe you can.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah I know, the 206B will go to 24V. The PS I'm getting is "switchable" between 12 and 24V. Haven't gotten it yet, it'll be here Friday but ill be in Mammoth mountain biking.

But, it looks like you select which voltage you want by simply plug into eithe a 12V or 24V tap. Don't know if you can one charger running on 12 and another on 24 or not. But the pics show two taps on each voltage output. So maybe you can.
which powersupply did u get?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

If you have a 24v supply there is no reason to run the 206b on 12v. Run them both on 24.

I’m not completely familiar with the power supply you’re getting, but if you can’t hook both directly into it, one of these will solve the problem:

http://www.buddyrc.com/efuel-power-strip.html

Helis I've had: Trex 500, Compass 500, MCPX, Nano CPX
bstanley72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
If you have a 24v supply there is no reason to run the 206b on 12v. Run them both on 24.

I’m not completely familiar with the power supply you’re getting, but if you can’t hook both directly into it, one of these will solve the problem:

http://www.buddyrc.com/efuel-power-strip.html
It look like I can hook both chargers directly in. If I run the iCharger in 24 I can get the full 300 watts out of it.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

this one is the one i have top quality

http://www.progressiverc.com/progres...rblock-hd.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372785469.046519.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	432690
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372785476.266623.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	432691

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in