Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My understanding was that the ESC needs to power its circuitry at ~5V (or at least something other than the flight pack voltage, which can vary a lot depending on how many cells you're running etc). If it's got an onboard BEC then it's got a 5V supply, otherwise it needs power from somewhere.

On my Hurricane 550 I'm using the Align 75A ESC and a SportBEC. I followed the directions on Dimension's site for connecting up an ESC with no internal BEC as it makes sense to me: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...stallation.pdf

Hehe, I just noticed that this is also being discussed in Fireup's DIY BEC thread

PS: I'm NOT meaning to sound patronising here, apologies if that is so. I'm a bit of an electronics noob.
lightbulbjim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the video Bob. Very informative.
Billybuck is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

so are there benefits for a set up that uses a separate RX battery (along with a regulator)? Or is it always better to use the main battery and a BEC?
Sugarbaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
My understanding was that the ESC needs to power its circuitry at ~5V (or at least something other than the flight pack voltage, which can vary a lot depending on how many cells you're running etc). If it's got an onboard BEC then it's got a 5V supply, otherwise it needs power from somewhere.

On my Hurricane 550 I'm using the Align 75A ESC and a SportBEC. I followed the directions on Dimension's site for connecting up an ESC with no internal BEC as it makes sense to me: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...stallation.pdf

Hehe, I just noticed that this is also being discussed in Fireup's DIY BEC thread

PS: I'm NOT meaning to sound patronising here, apologies if that is so. I'm a bit of an electronics noob.

Well yes an no..... Some Opto Isolated ESCs do need power. But this is not the norm. The Align 75 ESC is not opto isolated and thus does not need power from the RX. Test yourself (Kevin just did it) and pull the red wire from the ESC. The ESC will still work. It has it's own little regulator on the PCB for the processor using the main battery for power.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BEC question

hello

i had a jazz 80-6-18 on my swift, and i had was using a 4.8volt battery pack (the receiver was getting power from both). it flew fine without any problems, actually the instruction sheet which came with the Jazz actually suggested it.

my question is isn't this similar to having ESC with BEC, and separate BEC powering the same RX? from what i understood from this post, this was discouraged. i am wondering why ?

look forward to your feedback ... khan
wrathofkhan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Well yes an no..... Some Opto Isolated ESCs do need power. But this is not the norm. The Align 75 ESC is not opto isolated and thus does not need power from the RX. Test yourself (Kevin just did it) and pull the red wire from the ESC. The ESC will still work. It has it's own little regulator on the PCB for the processor using the main battery for power.

Bob
Ah ok. Since the Align 75A ESC is designed to be used with either a seperate BEC or a receiver pack I take it that the red wire goes nowhere anyway? As in there's no advantage or disadvantage in leaving it as is?

If the red wire was connected to something in the ESC then I guess it could be another source of switching noise in the receiver, but with a BEC-less ESC I would think the red wire would just be dead anyway.

I'm just curious about these things is all :o
lightbulbjim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 05:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, one person here had a problem with their Gaui 50A by hooking up a SportBEC in line as the ESC didn't do anything. Hooking them both up to the Rx allowed the ESC to get power from the BEC and it worked.

I ahve an Optoisolated ESC that needs BEC power to operate also.

I will test a few this weekend. But unless the ESC has some form of BEC in it, it needs electronics power from somewhere. I doubt that they run the electronics at 25 - 50 volts.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Interesting... My Gaui ESC the red wire goes no where! Under the clear heat shrink it is not soldered to anything. I know they had a few changes with those so they must have made it OPTO or something to stop the issues people were having.

Anyway it is clear some ESC's need power from the RX but most of the BEC-less ESC's I have used did not.

Quote:
Ah ok. Since the Align 75A ESC is designed to be used with either a seperate BEC or a receiver pack I take it that the red wire goes nowhere anyway? As in there's no advantage or disadvantage in leaving it as is?
Yep the red wire goes no where! Leave it as it is.....

Quote:
my question is isn't this similar to having ESC with BEC, and separate BEC powering the same RX? from what i understood from this post, this was discouraged. i am wondering why ?
If the voltage is the same from the separate BEC and the ESCs BEC then fine you should be OK. BUT if they are not the same you dont want to do that!
Also one of the reasons some people went to a stand alone BEC was to help fix RF noise on FM radios. This was befor Spektrum of course. So they didnt want noisy power coming into the RX.

Bob
Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default My brain hurts.

I have to watch this stuff many times before I can attempt it. Thanks for the time you put in man.
diveman123 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Vid Don't Run (don't walk either)

Quote:
OK I got asked to do a overview of what BEC is vs a regulator and what a BEC is and how it gets hooked up.

So I whipped this up real quick.

BEC 101 - What's a BEC and how do you hook it up (47 Megs)

Enjoy
Bob
Help! I can't run the vid. Is anyone else having a prob. with it? (I really want to see it too, because I just had an Align 100A ESC burn up on me!)
dogfart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question 75A and 100A Align ESCs

Quote:
Huh? The ESC doesnt need power other than from the main pack BEC or no BEC. The only thing the ESC needs from the RX is a throttle signal.

A real BEC (not a regulator) gets it's power from the main battery and converts it to 6V or 5V to power the RX.

Bob

Please tell me if the following is correct:
75A ALIGN ESC
This unit has a built-in BEC, so there is no need to attach a separate battery, or an external BEC, to power the reciever. This unit will power the receiver, just by plugging it into the "Throttle" output. Right?

100A ALIGN ESC
This unit does NOT have a built-in BEC, so you must power the receiver with a separate battery, or an external BEC. Right?

If you use an external BEC, you must sever the red (+) and black (-) "power wires," leaving only the white "signal wire" intact on the wire harness that plugs into the Throttle output in the receiver. Right? (Do I have the wire colors correct?)

(Do you need to sever the 2 Power Wires even if you use a separate battery to power the receiver?)
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the align 75amp does not have a bec built in.
when using an external bec you must remove the red wire from the esc. keep the black(ground) and the white(signal) wires. you need to keep the ground so the esc and receiver share a common ground.
HeathH is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Niether of those ESC have a BEC at all... THis is why in the 600 kits they also supply a regulator.

Bob
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry, I meant the 35A versus the 75 & 100A. My questions should have been:

Please tell me if the following is correct:
35A ALIGN ESC
This unit has a built-in BEC, so there is no need to attach a separate battery, or an external BEC, to power the reciever. This unit will power the receiver, just by plugging it into the "Throttle" output. Right?

75A, and 100A ALIGN ESC
These units do NOT have a built-in BEC, so you must power the receiver with a separate battery, or an external BEC. Right?

If you use an external BEC, you must sever the red (+) and black (-) "power wires," leaving only the white "signal wire" intact on the wire harness that plugs into the Throttle output in the receiver. Right? (Do I have the wire colors correct?)

(Do you need to sever the 2 Power Wires even if you use a separate battery to power the receiver?)
Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Yes... now you are correct.

Bob
Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you. By the way, I just got your BEC vid to work!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also, since the Align 75 & 100A ESCs have no BECs, then why do they have the pos. feed wire to the receiver?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Because they get the connectors with wires on them and it's too expensive to remove the red wire so they just leave it unconnected inside the ESC.

Bob
Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Holy Moly. In that case, why is it nec. to sever the wire?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfart View Post
Holy Moly. In that case, why is it nec. to sever the wire?
On ESC that don't have BEC, you don't have to cut the red/middle wire. On ESC that do have an onboard BEC you should cut the wire or else that voltage will conflict with your external BEC specially if you want to run 6V on your external BEC and your onboard is putting out 5V.

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in