Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Airtronics Radios

Airtronics Radios Airtronics Radios Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SD-10G and Ikon/Tracx/Brain

Anyone here running this fbl unit w/ their sd10G? I've been setting up helis for a number of years now and this is challenging to me. I'm looking for someone w/ some experience to hopefully give me some guidance. Trying to get this going w/ a 92164 Rx (RX-631 - 6Ch).

Cheers!
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

think I got it sorted. PM me if you have issues here, I can help.
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could you give some ideas on how to make this work? I also have an SD10G that I love, using it on my gas planes. Also have extra one or two 8ch Airtronics receivers. Would love the option of being able to use these with an IKON in my next heli, such as perhaps a Goblin 500 or Trex 550e. It would just save some money to be able to use what I have instead of buying more stuff. Currently using a DX6i on my MCPX, 130X, and Trex 450. Thank you! Jon
maukaheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The radio works for sure. You just can't access bank switching and the GOV feature that the ikon provides. This actually prompted me to get rid of my SD-10G and now I fly a futaba 14SG.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Colapietro View Post
The radio works for sure. You just can't access bank switching and the GOV feature that the ikon provides. This actually prompted me to get rid of my SD-10G and now I fly a futaba 14SG.
I don't see any reason that bank switching can't be done as well as run the governor. I've got one of these units coming and I'll do it.

TM
TMoore is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
I don't see any reason that bank switching can't be done as well as run the governor. I've got one of these units coming and I'll do it.

TM
Sorry, I wasn't able to get banks, gov and adjustable tail gains in radio, all at the same time. Everything I read said you needed sbus or satellites. Maybe I'm being dense, or maybe I'm too far removed from this project?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't able to get banks, gov and adjustable tail gains in radio, all at the same time. Everything I read said you needed sbus or satellites. Maybe I'm being dense, or maybe I'm too far removed from this project?
I'll do it.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'll do it.
Quote:
Mr Moore,
I believe that this issue is the same as the VBAR.There is only one Aux port for adjustment to be used on the FBL unit when using a standard receiver and the Aux port can only be used for one function. Yes it is possible for the Gov, banks and tail to be set, but not adjusted from the TX. Once you assign the Aux port to be used for the Gov, you will lose the ability to adjust the gyro. With the use of an sbus system this limitation is not present.
Mark Dean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why do you need the gov adjusted through an AUX port? Per the software that I downloaded for my unit, the gov is adjusted using flatline throttle values like the Castle ESC's do. I have 5 flight modes so theoretically I can have 5 speeds if I want. The GAIN channel controls the tail gyro gains and that leaves one AUX channel for Bank switching. 7 channels total, simple really.

TM
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I stand corrected. The ikon allows a gain channel to be used along with a bank switch. This is not the case on the vbar. I'm definitely thinking about replacing my vbar with one.
Mark Dean is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's correct. My neighbor uses Mini VBars with an SD10G and can't use bank switching. Bank switching is nice to have but not an absolute deal breaker.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm running a SD-10G with the Compass TracX (Brain/Ikon) and bank switching is working just fine for me.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thinking back more on this now, I recall wanting to use bank switching, adjusting tail gains from the radio and also run the GOV. But honestly, I'm glad you guys are happy with the 10G. It was a great radio and I would buy one again. It really provided a fast link to the model.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thinking back more on this now, I recall wanting to use bank switching, adjusting tail gains from the radio and also run the GOV. But honestly, I'm glad you guys are happy with the 10G. It was a great radio and I would buy one again. It really provided a fast link to the model.
I just set the SD-10G up on a Gaui X3 and it runs the Gov, changes Tail gains at the radio and I am using Bank Switching. I don't know what the problem was.

TM
Old 11-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I just set the SD-10G up on a Gaui X3 and it runs the Gov, changes Tail gains at the radio and I am using Bank Switching. I don't know what the problem was.

TM
This was with the Ikon FBL unit ? I know my V Bars and Skookums do not have enough ports when using a conventional receiver to access the governor and it even states it in the manuals that if a conventional receiver is used the governor feature is unavailable .I can do tail and banks though. Sure do hope that we can get a S bus that is compatible with the Futaba and now JR system in the future .Let's shoot for (before 2020?). Love my SD10G but
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Governor gains are directly through the flight modes and that gets adjusted just like it does on a Castle ESC. No extra channels are needed other than flight modes.

TM
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Governor gains are directly through the flight modes and that gets adjusted just like it does on a Castle ESC. No extra channels are needed other than flight modes.

TM
TM

This is too late for me as I sold my 10G due to what I perceived a lack of flexibility using a stand alone receiver. I had the Brain FBL and SD10G working well together, that wasn't the issue. The issue was I couldn't' see how I could get the benefits of the Brain's built in rotor GOV with the 10G. The Brain manual stated it wasn't possible to use a stand alone Rx with the unit and expect to get all of the features. If I wanted the switchable tail gain (on a separate switch from the flight mode switch) and bank switching for testing out other tweaks, I could not use the GOV. Physically there was no room to plug the ESC lead into the Brain unit when using a standard receiver. If you have figured out a way around this with the Brain FBL unit, please do share. Although it wont help me, maybe it will help others?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:

TM
Yes that is true but if you do not have a port to plug the RPM sensor into the FBL unit it is hard for it to work. The RPM port is used on the V bar and Skookum units when a conventional receiver is used. If you can explain how to get the RPM signal in there when there are no ports left to plug it into let me know . When setting them up you select conventional receiver which changes the RPM . I bought a new Futaba 14SG and actually sold it and am sticking with my SD10G in hopes that some day we can have a S Bus and maybe a louder alarm or a vibration alarm .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in