Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Every methode which works with you is fine.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionir View Post
... I appreciate the fact that all the people criticising it offered more than valid alternatives. This is such a constructive way of solving a problem.
We try help each other. Flying RC Heli is insanely difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gionir View Post
To defend "my" method a bit I can say that I use a DX8 with 3 position switches, also for DR, which allows me to have one position for really slow rudder, one for faster rudder and one for normal rudder, at the flick of a switch.
No need to "defend" your method. Do what works right for you. We just provide insights into what worked for us (and why), and perceived befits an pitfalls of other methods. There is no only one right method.

The 3 post switches on the DX8 are to do exactly as you describe. Great tool for learning too. You can combine the DR&expo for all 3 inputs (aile, elev and rudd) on a single switch.

The only caution is to try work towards working piros on max rudder throw setting and not get reliant on TX sensitivity switching. When things get out of control, it's nice to have full range of input to try and resolve (without having to fumble for switches).

From what I have read, a lot use the TX sensitivity switching for transition between FF flight and precision close work (ie. precise hovering/landing).
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Incredibly helpful. I've started on the sim, and on my 450 Sport in RL. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRabit View Post
Two tips...
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the flowers.

Another tip for easy learning of pirocircuits (assuming you can do forward and backward - preferably sideways )

Be sure to KNOW YOUR PATH.

Look at it and divert the circuit into 45 degree segments.
Now when you fly be sure

after 45 degree of the circle the heli is at 90
after 90 the heli is 180
after 135 the heli is at 270
after 180 the heli is at 360 and so on.

There is EXACTLY ONE POSITION and EXACTLY ONE DIRECTION to steer at that point.

Do it very slow in hovering and build up speed carefully.

IRL -- KEEP THE DISK FLAT.

I never crashed a heli in a piro.... whatever because i am concentrated there.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

As long as we're giving tips, I'll throw one in. It takes awhile to get the hang of, but once it becomes second nature, it unlocks quite a bit.

Basically, flying the disc. I talk about it alot. However, now that we're on the discussion of piros, i'll try to explain it with sense.

I have comfortably nailed down almost every piro circuit direction, both forward and reverse piros. Not bragging, but merely explaining the power of how I fly the disc. Inverted CCW revers piro circuits are still pretty sloppy for me though, but thats about the only direction I havent nailed yet.
The way I see it is kinda hard to describe with words. I tried to make a video of a sim session so I could explain it, but my computer can't handle realflight and screen recording at the same time, over about 10 fps. So if anybody knows a very resource-light screen capture, let me know.

Think about doing a piro circuit. Lets choose upright CCW, forward rudder. That would be left rudder. Think about stopping the heli in the air while its directly away from you, so while it's in the circuit, you are looking almost straight down the mainshaft. Maybe even do it on a sim and pause it there, so you can have a visual.

Ok... then look at the disc while it's sitting there mid-air. Lets say the tail is pointing straight at the ground.. so you're doing a tail down funnel. Which way do you need to pull the disc around to execute the funnel? Thats right! right aileron. OR.. You could think of it as "left aileron up." Now, think about it by looking at the disc, and not by thinking about doing a funnel by memory.

If it helps, think of the disc as a compass. The body of the heli should not come into the equation WHATSOEVER. Imagine taking a dinner plate, and trying to give a control scheme with that. Hard to visualize, I know, but incredibly powerful once you can master it with helis.
The body of the heli should transform itself from the main visual you fly the machine by, to merely a guideline of inputs needed, in order to make the disc move where we want it. Thats the ultimate goal, and once you can unlock that, it makes complex flying MUCH easier. Trust me.

SO, when it's in paused in mid-air during this piro funnel here, see the disc as a compass with north, south, east and west. Thats the easiest way. SO... in order to pull around the circuit, which way do you need to pull??
Whichever way is on the "east" side of the disc. So, rotate the nose 90 degrees left, so it's circuiting nose forward. Which input is on the "east" side of the disc? The tail. So you are pulling back ele, or.. "nose up."

So then go inverted. Lets go inverted CW, because its still left rudder. Which direction on the disc do you need to pull in order to pull through the circuit? The "west" side. So, tail pointing at the ground while inverting a CW circuit, which input would be pulled on the "west" side? That's right! Left aileron. Now rotate the nose 90 degrees left. The tail is on the "west" side of the disc, so you are pushing up ele, or nose down.
Looking at the disc in this way, will not only help your control over your machine, but it will greatly enhance your ability to break down and learn moves of more skilled pilots. You will able to understand how the heli is moving, and eventually be able to break it down and so it yourself.

Thats how I fly the disc. The compass analogy i think is the best way so far I could describe it. That's as un-complicated as I can possibly describe it. I wish I could record a video because I could pause it, and describe everything with visuals. Until then.. this will have to do.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I just thought about being able to hit print screen while flying on the sim. Not the same as a video, however I could write and illustrate annotations and points with photoshop and then just post the pictures here.
Let me know if anybody is interested in that. Kinda like a segway into video tutorials I guess.
I just drank quite a bit of mountain dew tonight, so I may give it a try later tonight on this point.

YS Powered Rave ENV Stretch Protos 500, Stretch Mini Protos, 180 Trio
gitbse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitbse View Post
Well, I just thought about being able to hit print screen while flying on the sim. Not the same as a video, however I could write and illustrate annotations and points with photoshop and then just post the pictures here.
Let me know if anybody is interested in that. Kinda like a segway into video tutorials I guess.
I just drank quite a bit of mountain dew tonight, so I may give it a try later tonight on this point.
:

Very nice writeup! Im i a phase in my flying were I need new goals to get out of my repetative flying, and this may help me in a new direction.

I think I got your point, but visuals is always good!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

> Basically, flying the disc. I talk about it alot. However, now that we're on the discussion of piros, i'll try to explain it with sense.

I've thought about doing this, but didn't know if it's legit. Your explanation helps a lot; thank you. Question: You're looking at the white (I assume) disk made by the spinning rotor, right? For some reason, I've not been looking for this in real life, maybe because I can't see it very well. I guess edge-on would be the only tough point, but that's only transitional, I suppose. I'll have to start paying more attention.

> The way I see it is kinda hard to describe with words. I tried to make a video of a sim session so I could explain it, but my computer can't handle realflight and screen recording at the same time

What about setting up your phone or camera to record video of the screen? That way you can talk and fly at the same time. If you're really motivated, I'd be happy to come over and video it for you.
matthewcornell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in