Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Range for receivers?

It appears that they have 3 different antenna lengths.

Indoor 45mm,
Medium range 100mm
Full range 200mm

Do we have any idea what the difference is in the range from each of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovalcson View Post
It appears that they have 3 different antenna lengths.

Indoor 45mm,
Medium range 100mm
Full range 200mm

Do we have any idea what the difference is in the range from each of these?
My impression from what I have read are as follows:

Indoor 45MM is short range indoor flying of small models
Medium range 100MM is what I would characterize as a park flyer
while full range is at minimum line of site, but I have read range in excess of 3KM, but remember radio ranges vary based on the environment.

Is there a specific issue you are trying to solve for? A full range receiver would be comparable to any receiver sold by JR, Futaba etc.

Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
lperagallo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lperagallo View Post
My impression from what I have read are as follows:

Indoor 45MM is short range indoor flying of small models
Medium range 100MM is what I would characterize as a park flyer
while full range is at minimum line of site, but I have read range in excess of 3KM, but remember radio ranges vary based on the environment.

Is there a specific issue you are trying to solve for? A full range receiver would be comparable to any receiver sold by JR, Futaba etc.

Lou

I'm just curious because people have mentioned that we could probably get away with a little 4-5 channel receiver on a helicopter and I think you had to move up a little ways to get the longer range version. The nine channel receiver that comes with it is a full range reciever and 8.4 grams, so not much heavier than a couple 3 gram DSMX satellites.

With my TDR and any other larger very fast heli, if I ever get into Speed flying I would be putting it out at the limits of visability up as high as I could and then dive.

I will probably error on the side of safety and make sure I only use full range receivers.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I asked Esprit the same question over on RC Groups; I had initially ordered RSAT2's for my helis as they were the smallest full range option to feed my FBL controllers. Unfortunately the US and Canada won't be getting the RSAT2 so I asked them what the suggested replacement would be. According to Esprit the US market R5 receiver is full range and has equivalent telemetry power output & input signal sensitivity as the R9 and other full size receivers. The R5 or R6 are the smallest & lightest option for heli users in the US and Canada that only need a single PPM out cable to feed an FBL unit. (International users can also use a single RSAT2 which is also full range.)

The R5i and R6i are the indoor / short antenna versions for US & Canadian customers with lower sensitivity for smaller models with closer range applications.

Jeti actually lists telemetry power output and signal sensitivity specs for receivers on their webpage which is nice; unfortunately it's not updated with the specs for the US & Canadian market receivers yet.

What's confusing is Esprit's website and the Jeti USA site both list the R5 as a "midrange" receiver (which contradicts the info I was given in the RC Groups thread.) This spec would be true of the international market R5 but apparently the US market R5 is different and full range.

Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow for a sanity check before my order is shipped. If needed I'll swap the 2 R5 receivers for 2 R6, R7, or R9 receivers. I also want to make absolutely sure I'm running full range receivers on my Goblin and Bergen.

Here's their post about US & Canadian market receivers over on RC Groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=348
Jeti DC-16

Last edited by Kiba; 12-06-2012 at 12:29 AM..
Kiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like I was wrong they also have 400mm.

So 45mm, 100mm, 200mm and 400mm.

Where are the ranges listed?

BTW the RSAT2 does not handle telemetry, so you would be giving that up.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually, the RSAT2 does handle telemetry; it has a single PPM out port and one telemetry in port. The older RSAT did not have a telemetry port or telemetry capabilities.

http://www.jetimodel.com/index.php?page=product&id=189

The RSAT2 is perfect for FBL systems on helis IMO; small, light, full range, and no unnecessary extra connectors. However it's not getting FCC approved so we don't get them in the USA or Canada. We'll have to use something else. Not seeking FCC approval for the RSAT2 for US & Canadian customers seems like a big oversight to me especially for the FBL heli market-- but maybe there is a reason it wasn't submitted (or didn't pass.)

If you look up the specs on any receiver on Jeti's webpage they give power output (telemetry link) in dBm and receiver sensitivity (reception range) in dBm as well.

Example, the R9 has -106 dBm sensitivity, 20 dBm telemetry power output

http://www.jetimodel.com/index.php?page=product&id=198

Compare this to the R5i (indoor, short range) which has -98 dBm sensitivity and 6 dBm telemetry power output:

http://www.jetimodel.com/index.php?page=product&id=176

It's difficult (if not impossible) for any manufacturer to state an absolute range because that is extremely condition dependent. Atmospheric conditions, model geometry & materials which may be in front of the antennas, orientation of TX, obstacles between the TX and model, etc. Listing sensitivity & power output specs that were measured in a controlled test chamber is about the only empirical data they can provide which allows users to make informed choices about what receiver is best for an application. In Jeti's case, all the longest-range receivers share the +20 dBm / -106 dBm specs for telemetry output power and sensitivity.
Jeti DC-16
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

No U.S. Rsat2 (fcc approval) may just kill the whole jetti idea for me. I know esprit ships over seas but what is gonna stop someone in the states from purchasing an rsat2 and using it "illegaly" FCC approval of the rsat2 is a must for U.S consumers. Especialy heli freaks !
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
No U.S. Rsat2 (fcc approval) may just kill the whole jetti idea for me. I know esprit ships over seas but what is gonna stop someone in the states from purchasing an rsat2 and using it "illegaly" FCC approval of the rsat2 is a must for U.S consumers. Especialy heli freaks !
I am not sure what the issue is no having an Rsat2. Below is the quote from Esprit on what receivers will be released soon. All these receivers will have PPM output as an option if that's what you are concerned about.

Lou

"All has been submitted last week, pretty much at this point any minute.
We are assuming that R11/R9/R7/R6/R6i receivers we will be able to ship this Thursday/Friday. All radios went by Fedex, all receivers will be shipped by Priority Mail. Our plan is to have them delivered at the same day.

Zb/Esprit Model"
www.circlecityhelis.com
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is this "optional" ppm output for these rx's ? I find nothing and certainly do not see a ppm output on any of them pictured ??
Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
what is this "optional" ppm output for these rx's ? I find nothing and certainly do not see a ppm output on any of them pictured ??
Scott,

Each of the receivers released will be able to be used as a standard output, one slot per channel or you can program them to output PPM using a single cable. Just hang in there a few more days and you will see what we are talking about.
There will be R6,R7,R9,and R 11 receivers released soon that have these capabilites.
Lou
www.circlecityhelis.com
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

A OK I will wait patiently. But still for cleanliness, size and keep it simple the Rsat2 really needs to be fcc approved IMO.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
A OK I will wait patiently. But still for cleanliness, size and keep it simple the Rsat2 really needs to be fcc approved IMO.
I agree 100% on wanting the RSAT2 here in the US for "cleanliness of installation" reasons but as Lou said all of the US market Jeti receivers (R5, R6, R7, R9, R11) are capable of single line PPM out to feed FBL controllers when configured to do so via a Jetibox or the Jetibox emulator built into the TX. The R5 is the smallest/lightest receiver the US market is getting right now; it's actually lighter than an RSAT2.

The R5 is lagging a little behind the other receivers and is going out for FCC testing next week. As of late this week all the other receivers (R6, R7, R9, R11) should be shipping to customers.

I was a little confused about receivers this week and changed my order around some; my biggest source of confusion is as of right now all the documentation available on Jeti's webpage is only for the international market receivers and not for the US/Canadian receivers which are a little different. (for example, for the international market receivers only the RSAT2, R10, R12, and R18 can do single line PPM out where all the US receivers can be configured to do PPM out.)

Personally, I'm going to be using R9s on my helis for now; I didn't want a heatshink wrapped R5 or R6 on my helis. The R7, R9 and R11 are plastic case. I'd prefer to use the smaller RSAT2 but for now the R9s will do the job.
Jeti DC-16
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not rushing getting all my helis switched over.

I have a lot of things to get figured out.

1. Basic DS-16 configuration should be straight forward.
2. SK-720 integration should be straight forward.
3. Configuration of my JLog2 to send telemetry data to the reciever. I'm really not sure how this will go. Fingers crossed.
4. Set up of SK-GPS with hard deck feature. This is a completely new product

I definitely want full range receivers for safety and to make sure I don't lose my telemetry if a heli is a ways off.

I'm going to use my T550 as a test bed while I get everything figured out. Once it all makes sense I'll document what I have and blog about it.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

What about the giant scale plank guy's that want to add a sat or 2 or however many sats the jetti rx's will accept to add security to reception on those big arse machines. they are gonna want the rsat2 no doubt. I am at a bit of a loss here on if the rsat2 can be and is an integral part of these rx's especialy for large models and operate on same principle and hardware why an easy fcc certification is not possible. Just asking as it makes no sense to me but our gov works in mysterious inefficient way's LOL!
So basicaly a rx that is certified and capable of using these sats for security is gonna be hampered by no certification on sats that are designed to used with these rx's ? Wow I am baffled LOL!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can use the R5 (for that matter, any other receiver capable of doing PPM out) in place of an RSAT2; configure the satellite receiver to single line PPM out and connect that cable to the Sat in port on the larger receivers just like you would an RSAT2.

Still not as small/clean as an RSAT2 but it's functionally equivalent.

I'm still hoping the RSAT2 will eventually be approved for US use... otherwise I might look into other ways of acquiring a couple of them.
Jeti DC-16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in