Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 800 Class Helicopters

800 Class Helicopters 800 Class Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default T-Rex 800 Battery Loading from the Back?

I haven't seen an Align T-Rex 800 up close yet. But in some build videos, it looks to me like the batteries might be loadable from the back? Can any T-Rex 800 owners see if this could be workable?

This little trick will be useful because if there's a large front mounted camera gimbal, its going to be hard to load a long 12s or 14s battery pack from the front. Even for 3D pilots, the rear loading will be awesome because you don't have to repeatedly take on and off the large canopy to load the battery packs!

I first became interested in the rear load after seeing the Thunder Tiger E720 and E820 which have purposely designed rear loaded batteries. I think that's going to be the way to go especially with these new rail mounted battery caddies.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't think this is possible as it has to slide in from the front so it will latch into the front receiver mount, there is a piece of metal that sticks up on the battery tray so it will lock into place, pushing it in from the rear will mean that it will catch on the back of the receiver mount.

Others on here may know of a way to modify it so it will work though
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
JohnTC02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks John. Yeah, I kinda figured it might not be possible as-is. But I just got a thought.

What if the battery caddy and rails are not used? Instead, use only the traditional velcro pads and velcro straps to secure the batteries. Would it then be possible to rear load the main battery packs? All protruding latches, tabs and any other obstructions will need to be cut out of course but that should be minor.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't think there is anything in the frames that would cause you any problems.

A simple solution may be to grind the locating tab off the battery tray, doing that may be all that is needed to allow the tray to fit from the rear, all you would need to do then is find a way to secure the tray in the heli.
Velos 880 Neo, Logo 800 XX Vbar, T-Rex 800 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 Trekker Vbar, T-Rex 700 Pro DFC Vbar, T-Rex 800 F3C Vbar, T-Rex 550E DFC Vbar, T-Rex 500 Pro DFC AR7200BX, T-Rex 450 Sport V2 AR7200BX, T-Rex 250 Pro AR7200BX, VController, DX9.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would rather have some form of quick canopy release mounts...anyone know what will work that is using them on their 800 pro now?
raptorz499 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use these on my Trekker, 800 Pro DFC and my 700 Pro DFC.

http://www.align-trex.co.uk/upgrades...t-tx7f-07.html

They were a bit of a fiddle getting them to fit on my Trekker though.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorz499 View Post
I would rather have some form of quick canopy release mounts...anyone know what will work that is using them on their 800 pro now?
Nah, with the advent of battery trays and rails, the rear loading of batteries is a natural consequence. In addition to the huge problem that a long front loading tray poses for AP and FPV, the necessity of frequently having to remove the heli's canopy risks these dangers in general:
  • Wind blows canopy onto the pavement. A huge 800 size canopy is going to be taking some dents and scratches for sure! I've seen many times a nice 450 and 500 canopy blow off. On pavement, its almost always going to be another scratch.
  • Canopy takes wear and tear. Especially at the bottom front and canopy holes from the constant removal. Who wants a beautiful expensive canopy to start taking damage without even a crash?
  • Canopy mount holes wear out risking an in-flight ejection into rotor blades. This can even happy with user error and rushing to get a flight in.
As I see it, the tired old method of front loading doesn't make sense any more. Especially with the larger helicopters where rear loading is a viable alternative given some forethought from the helicopter's designers. Rear loading a heli might seem odd at first but that's just because we've been conditioned for front loading. I'd bet that if Align had designed for rear loading the 700 and 800, not long after we'd all be wondering why the front loading was ever even used!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in