Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JLog - The JIVE logging stamp

JLog - The JIVE logging stamp JLog - The JIVE logging stamp - Official English Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What is jlog?

I was talking about getting a mui sensor for my heli to work with my jeti transmitter and I got a response, why do you use a jlog? I have no idea what a jlog is so I'm sorry for my ignorance.

Can some give me a quick run down on what it is and it's applications?

I have 3 heli's with Kontronik Kosmiks
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Jlog acts as an interface between the ESC and the transmitter. I use general terms because it works with many ESCs and many transmitters.

In the case of Kosmik, it will provide all the telemetry data that the Kosmik puts out including voltages and currents for pack and BEC, mAh consumed, RPM, and more temps etc...

On the transmitter side its compatible with Jeti, Graupner, JR, Futaba and some others as well.

It has a bit of a learning curve, but that is simply because it is soooo versatile and so compatible with so many system.

But I would say it is one of the coolest little devices in this hobby.

Also it's creator, Tom (dl7uae) is a super guy that is on her all the time and does great support for his product.

Current hardward is Jlog 2.6 and he is working on Jlog 3. There is a thread on Jlog 3, whats new and when to expect it.

Jeti DS24 / VControl Touch
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is a link on the HF forum for further info.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=716255

To add, the UI sensor is limited in terms of info compared to the JLog.

Also, with UI you need to add another connection within your power system and thus another potential point of failure or losses.
allen james is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's a Jeti TelMe module also...

http://www.kontronik.com/produkte/zubehoer/regler/produkte-rc-modellbauzubehoerreglertelme/telme-jeti.html

But i don't know jeti accessories well. So, an adapter may be needed to use telme with jeti transmitter.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're running Kontronik, the Jlog will be a much cleaner install than a MUI sensor, and also means you don't need to solder in extra connections between your ESC and battery.

And on top of that you get telemetry to monitor things like ESC temp, etc. And it can log all the data for you if you wish.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wow thanks guys for all the information, so glad someone mentioned this before I purchased a mui sensor. Seems the jlog is the superior choice
Old 08-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only use the MUI sensor when I have no other choice.

The cleanest Jeti telemetry install is using a Jeti Mezon ESC, but the Mezon's have had too many reported failures on 12S to, so not the most reliable ESC for larger helis. Also, the Mezon governor performs about the same as the Castle's, so you would most probably want to use the FBL unit governor with the Mezon (and Castle).

For Kontronik Kosmik ESC's, the TelMe units seem to be a much easier plug-and-play option compared to the JLog 2.6, but they come at a high price. The JLog's are only $70, and they work on multiple ESC's and transmitters. The Kontronik TelMe units are more expensive at $86.90, only work on Kontronik ESC's (not sure if it works on JIVEs, but the JLog 2.6 works for sure on both Kosmik and JIVE ESC's), and are transmitter brand specific.

The JLog's do not currently read some of the parameters (BEC voltage, BEC current, BEC temp., etc.), so you would have to access that data via the Kontronik microSD card log if you are interested in those parameters. However, the JLog as a cool function that lets you adjust the displayed mah consumption to match the mah charged back by the charger.

The JLog's have suffered from compatibility issues whenever new Kosmik firmwares are released, but Tomas has been very diligent and expedient in updating the JLog's to keep up with Kontronik's cat and mouse game.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

JLOG and Telme are advertised as logging units. To me, "logging" means various conditions are stored for review after the flight. I've never been clear on this........can either a Futaba or Jeti transmitter be set up to use the output of JLOG/Telme during flight to notify the flyer that the heli has consumed 80% of the pack and it's time to land? In other words, can JLOG/Telme units provide real time event notification to the pilot or must you land to review what has occurred during the flight?

Mike
Protos Evo 700: Goblin 700C : Diabolo 700 SE: Oxy 5 Meg: Goblin 570 : Diabolo 600 : Mini Comet : Oxy 2 : Futaba 18SZ : Jeti DS-16 : Jeti DS-24 : Kontronik Kosmik, Jive Pro and Kolibri: Scorpion Tribunus: MSH Brain 2 : BK Brushless : Xpert R1 and KD
MKMAERO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jlog is available in two versions, GW which functions as a telemetry gateway, and the Full version which adds on board logging capability and also supports sensors such as the CVS16. Both versions will calculate mah used so that it can be displayed in some form (dependent on your radio system) on your TX. Some radios such as Jeti have their own internal logging capability which can be used to review data after a flight. Alarms can also be set based on real time data.
Distributor: soXos Helicopter
F1 Rocket is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Jlog is available in two versions, GW which functions as a telemetry gateway, and the Full version which adds on board logging capability and also supports sensors such as the CVS16. Both versions will calculate mah used so that it can be displayed in some form (dependent on your radio system) on your TX. Some radios such as Jeti have their own internal logging capability which can be used to review data after a flight. Alarms can also be set based on real time data.
I do have a Jeti DS16 so it appears I can use JLOG to notify me that the heli has reached 80% lipo consumption and it's time to land. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike
Protos Evo 700: Goblin 700C : Diabolo 700 SE: Oxy 5 Meg: Goblin 570 : Diabolo 600 : Mini Comet : Oxy 2 : Futaba 18SZ : Jeti DS-16 : Jeti DS-24 : Kontronik Kosmik, Jive Pro and Kolibri: Scorpion Tribunus: MSH Brain 2 : BK Brushless : Xpert R1 and KD
MKMAERO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2016, 02:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKMAERO View Post
I do have a Jeti DS16 so it appears I can use JLOG to notify me that the heli has reached 80% lipo consumption and it's time to land. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike
Indeed. The Jlog GW will already make this possible. On the Jeti you can then also review the logs of all telemetry data received.
However the sample rate of the data stored on the tx is much lower than on the logging version of the Jlog. I only use the Jeti logs for very quick review of for instance rpm and pwm.
For battery current data (amp spikes) and detailed pwm/rpm behaviour it is much better to take the Jlog logging version or just the Kosmik logs.
I have the logging version of the Jlog myself but only because I also use the CVS16 so I can review individual cell voltages later.
For you I think the GW version of Jlog is more than enough and yes it is really superior to the UI devices.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The S32 (NG JLog) will log generally.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

got Scorpion 130A esc and got TM1000 and using DX9 with vbar blueline , can I use j-log 2.6 , what do I need would like to have mah used data
G700 heli
Old 09-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, not really, because there is no data from a Scorpion.

After the S32 has been released we'll probably bring our "S32-UIR", - finally, the design laying around since almost two years. I'll have to make the software implemention, of course, in UIR's microcontroller as well as in S32.

Output (through S32's data bus) will be:
- minimum: voltage, current, rpm
- perhaps as goodie on top: pwm

Temperature(s) through one of the common sensor options on S32.
RPM could be also already measured w/o having the UIR option.

(S32 is the NG JLog, some people call em "JLog3"... not yet released)

JLog today (of course also S32) could do the following w/ respect to the Scorpion:
- measure the voltage through the sensor option "CVS" (S32 can do that also natively, standalone)
- measure motor speed and derive also the rotor speed
- measure temperatures

What is missing, is the current, thus mAh accumulation. Although there is support for an option for that purpose (HiTec C200 Hall core), this is not supported as a general sensor option than only in relation w/ some ESC's which do not deliver the electrical current.

An alternative could be "UnisensE" or "Unilog" from SM Modellbau, Germany.

-----
Whoops, just noticed: SPEKTRUM.
SM does not support SPEKTRUM telemetry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in