Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 130X

130X Blade 130X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting a smooth, stock tail

Hey guys. I have only 4 flights on my stock 130x. It flies pretty good and everything appeared to be fine out of the box. My only complaint (as seen all over the forums) is the tail. I have reduced the small horizontal "shimmy" where it only shakes (in the air) about 1/4" back and forth by tightening the tail blades so there's no horizontal play.

I also weighed them and they are within .1g or less so didn't add any weight.

What is the next step to smoothing it out (without going to a metal Rakon/MH tail)?

Thanks,

Dave
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lower the rudder gain and install O-rings.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

O rings on horn and pitch slide
Rakon pitch slide (must have)
Rakon tail box ( or upgraded bearings)
RCfoam custom tail boom (you make)
RCfoam custom tail boom supports (you make... see alternate CF TT boom)
adjust everything perfect
Keep origanal stock tail shaft if 90 degrees (blades should track perfect) (heard stronger than MH)
You shouldn't have to lower rudder gain after these mods....
Enjoy and happy flying............................................ ...
jakozzz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not sure if you need it but the balancing of the tail blades should be done dynamically. Only once in about 16 times balancing I didn't need a little tape to remove all vibs on spool up. Adding the third bearing to the tail shaft with the balancing has really reduced bearing slop and bearing wear. Once you slider pin breaks replace it with a metal MH or RKH slider. Also, I run oring on all links from new.

In my case after taking the slop out of the tail and adding a MH slider I had to reduce gain on all three helis.

Sim
simchippy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I added an O ring to the rear of the tail control rod (above the ball link). Where else exactly are they needed?

Also, I don't have tail vibes on spool up. It starts when I'm in the air.

I will try to lower the gain tonight.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

The pitch slider where the ball is.... Oh yea.. don't forget the extra guide for the control rod.... Helps stop the servo from making to many corrections...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you mean the ball of each tail grip ok. If not, correct me.

I did the gain adjustment but I must have messed something up because the heli was spooling up out of control after I changed the Ail and Ele gains to solid lights (default).

Apparently they were lower from the factory. I lowered all 3 gains 3 steps and I think I'm back to where I started. Can anyone confirm the gain settings out of the box?

The tail is MUCH better now with just the grommet on the tail control rod ball link and the extra control rod guide. If the tail blade grip balls really need an O-ring I'll try it but it's really good now as it is.

I do however get a really nasty noise (screeching) from the tail that sounds like the bearings are going
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hi jack this threat but I am looking to do the same as OP. I've been trying to work out where the third bearing goes? Would appreciate if someone could explain it. Cheers.
ed2728 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

After finally finding a square tail shaft I actually stuffed four torque tube bearings (two each side) into the recesses that the flanged bearings usually sit in.
This video is of the thirtieth flight with this setup:

Blade130x 25mph wind (4 min 1 sec)
chuck-o is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Dave View Post
If you mean the ball of each tail grip ok. If not, correct me.

I did the gain adjustment but I must have messed something up because the heli was spooling up out of control after I changed the Ail and Ele gains to solid lights (default).

Apparently they were lower from the factory. I lowered all 3 gains 3 steps and I think I'm back to where I started. Can anyone confirm the gain settings out of the box?

The tail is MUCH better now with just the grommet on the tail control rod ball link and the extra control rod guide. If the tail blade grip balls really need an O-ring I'll try it but it's really good now as it is.

I do however get a really nasty noise (screeching) from the tail that sounds like the bearings are going
No....
the pitch slide for the tail blades(moves them back and forth) has a ball on one side and a pin on the other. It is where the Horn (lever) connects. Put the "O"ring on the ball......
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Dave View Post
I added an O ring to the rear of the tail control rod (above the ball link). Where else exactly are they needed?

Also, I don't have tail vibes on spool up. It starts when I'm in the air.
Check you main shaft.... pull the head off and lightly put in a pecil tip and see if it splits. A cracked main shaft will always cause it to shake like that. You can get 2 solid CF LYNX shafts for $10.... You can't beat that....
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm sure my mainshaft is fine as I have yet to even crash this thing. I'll probably put the last O-ring on the pitch slider this weekend. It seems to have very little play right now.

As for the 3rd bearing in the torque tube, I'll wait until I have to take it apart to do that.

jakozzz, I'll give you a good tip now for all the tips you gave me...

I see you're deciding on a 550. If you're looking for a heli that is light-weight, has minimal parts count and can go from swinging 550 blades to 600 with just a few parts take a good look at the Logo 500 V-Bar. Most guys swing 550-560 blades using 6s 5000 mAh packs. For size comparison, it's actually a quite a bit larger than a Trex550 or Compass 6HV It actually comes very close to a Trex 600 size-wise.

I'll also say that most guys that get a Logo say 3 things...

#1 All my other helis sit and collect dust now.
#2 Wow, this thing flies AWESOME with NO mods or upgraded parts needed.
#3 I wish I would have bought the Logo sooner instead of spending all that $$$ trying everything else first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in