Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: ikon

What voltage can the servos take? If they can all do 6V, then I would run the BEC at 6V. Possibly less current draw, and servos will perform better. And the lower the BEC voltage, the closer you are to a brownout on your FBL/RX if the BEC output voltage dips even for milliseconds during a sudden big current draw.

FBL draws more current on servos because the servos are affecting the blades more directly. It has nothing to do with the iKon, but with the nature of FBL.

With apologies- the info is a bit piecemeal I think we still do not know what size heli this is, and what cyclic and tail servos you are using. But you may want to consider bigger & better BEC, it sounds like.

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry, its a trex600e with spectum 6040s on ciclic and torq bl9188 on tail. The torq says 6v, I will have to look up the spectrum.

Edit: spectrum is 6v too.

You think 1.05v could cause that issue?
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is not the same. But when the Blade 450X came out, a lot of people had problems with brownouts causing FBL resets and crashes.

Someone did a bunch of digging on the ESC with an oscilloscope and found that, with the BEC set to 4.8V, if you applied a sudden big load, the voltage fairly easily dipped below the reset threshold for that FBL (somewhere in the 3V range, I think, but unimportant). Just for milliseconds, but was enough to cause a reset.

Called transient voltage drop or something. Happens before the BEC has a chance to react.

With the BEC set to 6V, it was almost impossible to make that happen. The voltage output still dropped, but it was starting further away from the magic threshold, and therefore did not drop below the reset value.

May be applicable here.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like that's what it may be then my man. Too bad I don't have a clue of how to change it myself or I wouldą haha. What are you running? Esc bec combo or external bec? And what kind?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You can do a mild test on the bench.

With the motor unplugged, I adjusted my TH pitch curve to be full negative with the collective fully raised.

I put it in IU, and quickly toggled in/out of TH. That snapped the collective servos between full up and full down. Have your blades out straight.

I did this as fast as I could for about 2 minutes. No weird stuff happened, which was encouraging. But it is not a perfect test. "Passing " doors not guarantee you are ok. But failing indicates a problem, to me.

And I have also not had any issues in-flight, so I believe my internal BEC, set to 6V, is up to the talk for my heli and high performance servos.

Unfortunately, mine is just a 450, so the details if my setup are not relevant for you.

There are a lot of good BECs. Western Robotics are supposed to be exceptional, but expensive. The 20A Castle Pro is better than the 10A.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFly1 View Post
Too bad I don't have a clue of how to change it myself or I wouldą haha.
You can't unless you buy their programer.

Take it back to your hobby shop and ask them to do it...I recall they did it for you initially (could be wrong).

You really need to measure the voltage to see whats going on as we definitely haven't figured it out...just opinions and my thoughts on not liking the CC bec...it may be fine and the problem could be elsewhere.

Ask the hobbyshop to do this for you and watch the voltage while the sticks are banged for a couple minutes.

Oh, and don't forget the 5 mph wind over the bec....I couldn't resist
AXN FPV
Daddy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
You can do a mild test on the bench.

With the motor unplugged, I adjusted my TH pitch curve to be full negative with the collective fully raised.

I put it in IU, and quickly toggled in/out of TH. That snapped the collective servos between full up and full down. Have your blades out straight.

I did this as fast as I could for about 2 minutes. No weird stuff happened, which was encouraging. But it is not a perfect test. "Passing " doors not guarantee you are ok. But failing indicates a problem, to me.

And I have also not had any issues in-flight, so I believe my internal BEC, set to 6V, is up to the talk for my heli and high performance servos.

Unfortunately, mine is just a 450, so the details if my setup are not relevant for you.

There are a lot of good BECs. Western Robotics are supposed to be exceptional, but expensive. The 20A Castle Pro is better than the 10A.

Sent using Tapatalk.

ok, so a miserable fail.....it resets itself after only 5-10 flips of the th switch....so yea, I have an issue with my bec voltage im sure...I will go by the lhs who programmed it for me the first time and get them to turn it up to 6v tomorrow. damn, just as soon as it flies too! lol better find out at 2' high like I did than 100' though! thanks guys. and I am 100% sure this is what it is as it is reacting the exact same way that it did when it fell out of the sky yesterday.....thanks for helping me with that, that is something I would have never figured out on my own. and I am learning a ton from this trouble shooting here too, thanks!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy View Post
You can't unless you buy their programer.

Take it back to your hobby shop and ask them to do it...I recall they did it for you initially (could be wrong).

You really need to measure the voltage to see whats going on as we definitely haven't figured it out...just opinions and my thoughts on not liking the CC bec...it may be fine and the problem could be elsewhere.

Ask the hobbyshop to do this for you and watch the voltage while the sticks are banged for a couple minutes.

Oh, and don't forget the 5 mph wind over the bec....I couldn't resist
yea I will go by tomorrow and let them do this for me again. thanks guys! and yea, that 5mph wind thing got me too..lol
Old 07-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good, glad you are at least narrowing things down.

I had 2 450 crashes caused, I think, by BEC brownouts, with a previous ESC. Very frustrating. Mine were in flight.

Raise the voltage, and redo the test. But you still may need a better BEC.

Replacing it proactively is cheaper than more expensive crashes, or, god forbid, it going out of control and hitting someone.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Good, glad you are at least narrowing things down.

I had 2 450 crashes caused, I think, by BEC brownouts, with a previous ESC. Very frustrating. Mine were in flight.

Raise the voltage, and redo the test. But you still may need a better BEC.

Replacing it proactively is cheaper than more expensive crashes, or, god forbid, it going out of control and hitting someone.

Sent using Tapatalk.
Yea, I prob will get a better one on the way soon man. Have tons of options though that I have to figure out exactly what I want first. Thanks so much guys!
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If your looking, look at YEP, good price and great quality and performance for combined esc and bec.
AXN FPV
Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If your looking, look at YEP, good price and great quality and performance for combined esc and bec.
thank you sir! will do!!!

an again, thank you guys very much for all the help!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, they have no issue setting it to 6v for me. BUT from what i am reading, with my 6cell setup that the 10amp castle bec i have will only carry like 5amps...now i dont know what im talking about here guys, i am just reading a thread i found.

now my lhs says that the bec i have will hold 20amps for up to 60 sec, so if that is the case, with my beginner flight style, i should not have any issues whatsoever at all, but if the amps go down with more cells, then i may still be browning out.....

am i understanding this correctly?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, i totally understand after reading castle web site how it works now. i am buying a pro soon as i get out of here for lunch, the one i have will not work no matter what, you can wire it up to use two of them, but im not going through all of that.....it explains it all on their site for anyone who cares to look.....http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...advisory1.html

now, question.....i am running the align 75amp esc and will be using the cc bec pro....do i dissconet the red wire from the esc to the ikon like it says on the castle site, or do i leave it connected since im using the align esc??? what is the purpos for dissconecting the red wire anyway?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
ok, i totally understand after reading castle web site how it works now. i am buying a pro soon as i get out of here for lunch, the one i have will not work no matter what, you can wire it up to use two of them, but im not going through all of that.....it explains it all on their site for anyone who cares to look.....http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...advisory1.html

now, question.....i am running the align 75amp esc and will be using the cc bec pro....do i dissconet the red wire from the esc to the ikon like it says on the castle site, or do i leave it connected since im using the align esc??? what is the purpos for dissconecting the red wire anyway?
Yes, you disconnect the red wire from the esc when using and external bec...don't you already have it disconnected with your current bec?

They will fight each other and can cause failure because each try to regulate at their own voltage.

Or am I missing what your saying in your post?

IMO...haven't you learned about CC...better and more economical bec's available.
AXN FPV
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I might consider something other than the CC Pro as well, but I don't know that much about BECs that size. Gryphons might be worth a look, as well as Western Robotics.

Your current ESC does not have a built-in BEC. I don't know if it can power "itself", though (I don't know if the ESC's electronics are powered directly by the battery, or if it needs a BEC-type voltage input ).

How is your current setup connected? I would mimic that, barring other info. Your new BEC will basically be the same, just higher capacity, I think.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Your current ESC does not have a built-in BEC.
Quote:
o.....i am running the align 75amp esc and will be using the cc bec pro....do i dissconet the red wire from the esc to the ikon
AXN FPV
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, no my current esc does not have internal bec. i am running an external bec (cc pro soon as i get home to install it) so i need to remove the red wire from the esc plug going into the ikon, ok i see.

yes, i actually flew it once with the red wire still in the plug but only for a few min, no issues, and esc seems to still be working fine and ikon too. dang i hope i didnt hurt the esc doing that....crap!

i just bought the cc pro from the lhs and they set the voltage to 6v so i shouldnt have any issues now with bec browning out. but man i hope the esc is ok since i didnt remove the red wire from the plug.....the guys at the lhs didnt mention doing that, and i didnt think twice about it man, just plugged it up.

this whole thing is a learning curve for me guys, this is my first fbl setup, sure im gonna make mistakes and things, but thanks a ton for helping me figure them out...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wait as I may be confused....the red wire usually is the voltage but it may not be on yours.

Does the red wire go to the center connector on the plug that your plugging into the ikon?

edit...ok, if you for sure have the 75 amp esc without bec then it doesn't matter about the red wire as it is not connected in the esc. So leave it or remove it doesn't matter. Sorry about my confusion and if I confused you.

BTW, the red wire (center pin on connectors) is the bec voltage going to the electronics, Rx, servos, gyro, etc.
AXN FPV
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Wait as I may be confused....the red wire usually is the voltage but it may not be on yours.

Does the red wire go to the center connector on the plug that your plugging into the ikon?

edit...ok, if you for sure have the 75 amp esc without bec then it doesn't matter about the red wire as it is not connected in the esc. So leave it or remove it doesn't matter. Sorry about my confusion and if I confused you.

BTW, the red wire (center pin on connectors) is the bec voltage going to the electronics, Rx, servos, gyro, etc.

ok great! yes i am running that esc, so no need to remove the red wire then, correct?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in