Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500 3D collective question - help please

After replacing main gear, shaft, head assembly,I proceeded to check over setup. Everything appeared correct. I did a spin up test - very smooth, I did a very brief hover, again smooth, seeming normal. I noticed the tracking was just a little bit off.

I took it back to the bench, and was going through the setup from the servo's up through the head . I was checking pitch when I noticed that everything appeared ok, except that when I move the collective that one of the blades is only changing pitch a very small amount, the other blade goes through it's full range of motion (-10 to+10). However when I move the cyclic both blades change pitch as expected. There isn't any link that is way out of whack or any broken pieces, or binding. Other than the one blade grip not rotating when collective is applied.

I'm not sure If I am explaining this correctly, but I am sure that I am frustrated, and that I don't know what I am missing. Can anyone advise on what to check ? I don't know what is wrong. I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post this question,It was only place I've found old info in the 500D.

Thanks,
Not_Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your blade tracking is just a little off, it's likely that a pitch linkage needs a minor adjustment. Are you familiar with flybars? Off the top of my head, it sounds like you're not using a flybar lock when setting up your pitch range and 0 pitch... I would suggest checking out some of Finless Bob's CCPM/flybar setup videos, if you haven't already.

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was originally going to adjust the pitch links to correct the tracking, That is when I noticed this problem.
Thank you for pointing me to Finless Bob, I'm on my way there right now. You are correct I have not used a flybar lock, yet.
I will do some more studying, and post update. Do my noob feathers show?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
I was originally going to adjust the pitch links to correct the tracking, That is when I noticed this problem.
Thank you for pointing me to Finless Bob, I'm on my way there right now. You are correct I have not used a flybar lock, yet.
I will do some more studying, and post update. Do my noob feathers show?
Hey, the 500 3D is a great bird to learn setup on. You can technically setup your pitch range and zero pitch without a flybar lock, but you have to make sure the flybar is level throughout the entire process and it can be a bit frustrating. Regardless of what technique you use to setup your pitch range and zero pitch (Finless Bob's techniques are a good starting point), you may still need to adjust your blade tracking once you hover it. It's quite easy to do and you don't need to bother with tracking tape or anything. Just take a sharpie or some colored nail polish and mark one of the two blade grips; this will now be your "adjustment" grip. Now turn that grip's linkage a half turn or so in either direction. If the blades track worse when you hover it, just turn that linkage back to where it was and then go the other way. You'll know what one you adjusted based on what grip has the mark. Nice and simple. Just tweak it until it tracks right; it's a mere 5 minutes work once you've done it enough.

You'll find flybarless heads are easier to get a perfect zero pitch and perfect blade tracking than flybarred heads. On flybarless heads, oftentimes your blade tracking is perfect right off the bat if you use digital calipers to measure your linkages to even lengths. On flybarred heads like the Blade 500 3D has, you just need a tiny bit more patience during the mechanical setup - but it's not really a big deal.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thanks for the info. The more I can learn and absorb the better.

What am I seeing when I move the collective on my radio and only one of the blades is changing pitch correctly and the other is barely moving? Is that indicative of an incorrect setup procedure or that I have some part that is broken in the main grip feathering shaft, or bearing area,

watching 2nd vid in sponge mode...
Old 12-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
What am I seeing when I move the collective on my radio and only one of the blades is changing pitch correctly and the other is barely moving? Is that indicative of an incorrect setup procedure or that I have some part that is broken in the main grip feathering shaft, or bearing area, .
Hold the flybar level and steady when you go up and down on your pitch. That'll explain why a flybar lock is useful.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

...Hold the flybar...
geee for some strange reason both blades/grips change pitch together.

However, after watching The two CCPM set up video's from Finless, twice, each, I'm eager to jusst go ahead and do a complete tune up /reset and see how perfect I can get it. It's kind of overwhelming, but the more I watch the more it seems to not seem like 10,000 little details. lt helped a lot of stuff go "click" in my head. I really didn't understand how all the servo's worked together, just that they did, until now that is.

I love learning this stuff!
Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction....

peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in