Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Newbies: Tips and Information

Newbies: Tips and Information Section of HF, specifically for Passing along info to newcomers to the hobby. Setup, tweaking, orientation practice, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Landing question

If your gov controls the head speed, and you have idle up programmed to a certain curve, how do you land when the head speed is still maintain through the gov?
Thanks
kansas-terry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Put it on the deck, hit throttle hold and its a done deal.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcraig View Post
Put it on the deck, hit throttle hold and its a done deal.
+1 Just lower the collective until you land and hit throttle hold or do a mini auto from a few inches or a foot above the ground.
600bob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mini auto. You dont want to land under power and have a tip over or a skid break. Just get it steady and chop it while holding just enough positive to keep it there. As it falls,feed in positive pitch on the stick and it'll sit like a st.bernard.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If it isn't windy switch into your lowest HS and mini auto:

hover it to about 5 inches off the ground, hit throttle hold and let it settle. Beware the instinct to feed too much positive during the procedure as it can lead to a bouncer.

Once on the ground, don't let go the sticks till the rotor can no longer produce any unwanted reaction. (specially FBL's)

If it's a torque tube tail, pay special attention as to where the tail rotor will settle. Umbrella gears strip with the slightest contact of the tail rotor.

Hope this helps some.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My "Normal" Throttle Curve is just used for Take-Off and Landing... it is set as 0, 30, 30, 30, 30

I take off in "Normal" mode... I bring the throttle up to 30% and the motor does a nice soft start and ramps up to speed... I then slowly add more collective until the heli gently lifts off.

I then flip to IDLE 1 or IDLE 2 depending if I want a slow headspeed or a fast headspeed and fly.

I flip it back to "Normal" mode when I am ready to land. I bring it close to the ground and slowly lower the collective. When I am at about 30% throttle, the heli is just an inch or so above the ground and the motor cuts out and it float gently to the ground as I continue to lower the throttle to 0, which in effect, is lowering the collective from 0 to -1 degrees.
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

would you happen to have a video of your procedure?
Thanks
Old 03-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't have a video, but I guess I could make one... what is it exactly that you are trying to better understand? How I have it set up, or what the actual heli looks like during the process I described?
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well two ways to go about it.

1 switch to normal mode and land lower the throttle on left stick
2 using idle up land go to little negative to keep it put in place n switch to throttle hold.
I was told to use idle up to land even with fuel heli so one less thing to concern u thinking on
Trex_600n,Trex_500,MR25,MikadoLoGo5003D_KDE,CastleCreations,Ys,JR XG8,Sab Goblin 380/X_Nova/Bk_Servos, JR TagsMini//Sab Goblin 500Pulse Edition, Sab Goblin570Carbon_SABUSA_X_Nova_BkServos_KDE,RJX-Swash,JR-SPG-Tail/TagsMini_JRX-Bus.
JEEPWORLD2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get it a couple feet off the ground, and hit throttle hold and let it settle to the ground.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the heli is small I land with power, go slightly negative on collective and hit T-hold.

If the heli is large I auto in. Auto can be from a few feet or up higher as your skill allows.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas-terry View Post
If your gov controls the head speed, and you have idle up programmed to a certain curve, how do you land when the head speed is still maintain through the gov?
Thanks
The answer I believe you're wanting is this:

Your 'throttle' stick doesn't actually control your throttle, it controls your collective (the pitch your main blades are at).
So to go up, you increase your collective, to come down, you decrease your collective.
Your headspeed has nothing to do with whether you go up or down, at zero pitch, you gain zero thrust in either direction...
Snakebite is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here you go nothing fancy but at the end of my video I hit Throttle hold then when it lands I switch the motor switch off. I just happen to have two switches on the TX one for throttle hold and another to switch the motor off.

Logo 480Xx, Beautiful day at the field. (4 min 53 sec)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Landing

Thanks guys! I think I have a grasp for it now. I am just starting to learn, I have been using a Blade 120, and I have tail-in and right side down. Just trying to look ahead. I just finished a KSE Goblin 380, but I will not try it until I can fly a smaller collective first. the next step will be the Blade 180.I figured the pitch did not effect the throttle, so was wondering how to land the bigger helicopters.Been watching the videos on pitch and throttle curves to get an idea how to program the DX9.
Thanks for all the help!!
Old 03-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks guys! I think I have a grasp for it now. I am just starting to learn, I have been using a Blade 120, and I have tail-in and right side down. Just trying to look ahead. I just finished a KSE Goblin 380, but I will not try it until I can fly a smaller collective first. the next step will be the Blade 180.I figured the pitch did not effect the throttle, so was wondering how to land the bigger helicopters.Been watching the videos on pitch and throttle curves to get an idea how to program the DX9.
Thanks for all the help!!
If you haven't stumbled across ArchmageAU's thread it is the best training thread I've used https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=531380 Completely changed the way I fly.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Been watching the videos on pitch and throttle curves to get an idea how to program the DX9.
Pitch and throttle curves can be somewhat confusing:

Usually if flying governed, (at least on Castles) your throttle curve will be flat horizontal throttle curves kind of 30 30 30 30 for IU 1, 70 70 70 70 70 for IU 2 and so on depending on your gearing, motor poles, desired HS and so on. This is where you fly the pitch and not the throttle, (like most full scales). It is my preferred option because you're only working one variable (pitch) and once you get used to flicking TH and/or TC is no big deal.

Takeoff and landings are made via throttle hold and / or throttle cut. It can be scary in the beginning because of the high rpm's and the fact you have to flick a switch to kill it. Some people will dial a diagonal turning into flat throttle kind of ( 0 30 30 30 30) or whatever. However this practice should be avoided because it risks killing your headspeed when you apply neg. pitch on inverted.

On the video you may have noticed the usage of throttle hold AND motor off. This might be because perhaps it has auto rotation bail out, with this your throttle hold will provide a spooldown but if flicked out, it will ramp up to the last obtained headspeed in a matter of seconds. So you need a method to Zero-out your ESC (for the next slow spool-up) and this is done via throttle cut / motor off.

(Forum nazis: please notice this is a possible scenario for the two switch usage) which is the way I fly as well.

There are also normal (sloping) throttle curves (0 45 65 80 100 for example) in which you change pitch and throttle on your descent. Which most of us have used when starting out.

And then there are the pitch curves which basically depend on what measured pitch you set according to your skill level and mechanical setup.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by Felix the cat; 03-19-2016 at 09:11 AM..
Felix the cat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in