Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidgaz View Post
if the bearings are failing is it due to rust, so bad after run service. i reckon that if i had run my engine for much longer the original 1s would have failed and if the polyamide retainer let go if thing seized up sure it would result with the balls swirling around the crankcase
If you have a rust problem then you really should be using stainless steel bearings. It is funny how some people have no problems with rust and others, using every trick in the book, get rust!

If you are using a polyamide retainer, then it usually will not fail due to a rusted bearing. If you have a steel retainer, it will rust along with the rest of the bearing.
RC-Bearings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

these were the O.M.E and they still rusted and i have spoken to other people who use stainless and there have also rusted, infact its not the steel balls on mine but the outer and inner race that has rusted so they would still have broken up and the retainer would proberbly fail
Trex 250SE/MCPX
rapidgaz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidgaz View Post
these were the O.M.E and they still rusted and i have spoken to other people who use stainless and there have also rusted, infact its not the steel balls on mine but the outer and inner race that has rusted so they would still have broken up and the retainer would proberbly fail
Well, I don't know what else I can tell you other than no one has ever reported my stainless steel bearings rusting after install.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #44 (permalink)

Do NOT use the bearing installation technique in the video unless you want to risk damaging the bearings. Using the crank to pull a bearing into a cold crankcase places a tremendous amount of stress on the balls and races.

Heating the crankcase and pushing the bearing in will be a lot easier on the bearing.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #45 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Bearings View Post
Do NOT use the bearing installation technique in the video unless you want to risk damaging the bearings. Using the crank to pull a bearing into a cold crankcase places a tremendous amount of stress on the balls and races.

Heating the crankcase and pushing the bearing in will be a lot easier on the bearing.
I haven't damaged any bearings in about 8 changes including ceramics using that technique - I don't think steady even force damaging to the bearing races - any sort of impact is a different matter - there's only so much heating you can do of the crankcase before you risk burning yourself
Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #46 (permalink)

Default Bearing instalation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
I haven't damaged any bearings in about 8 changes including ceramics using that technique - I don't think steady even force damaging to the bearing races - any sort of impact is a different matter - there's only so much heating you can do of the crankcase before you risk burning yourself
I have replaced hundreds of sets. Unless you have examined bearing races under a microscope (I do that), you don't know that you haven't damaged the races. A couple of the reported ceramic failures were from bearings installed that way. The ramping effect of pulling bearings in like that causes many thousands of PSI at the tiny contact points of the balls and races.

Anyhow, that is NOT a recommended installation method by ANY bearing or equipment manufacturer.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not trying to point fingers here but I actually bought some SS bearings from rc-bearings and it rusted after two weeks of install. I don't know what the heck happened, I was surprised to see it myself. Maybe a bad batch ? I can take photos if needed.

I found out bcoz' the engine was running weird, checked the plug and i saw some rust on it, opened the motor and there it was. The rust was so bad that I can actually wipe it off and some rust would come off and stick on the cloth. I am also confused as to why this happened. two weeks, fresh install, SS, and rusted. You guys have any idea as to why this happened?

Quote:
Well, I don't know what else I can tell you other than no one has ever reported my stainless steel bearings rusting after install.
soloflyt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys... beside the fear that my new RC-Bearings SS will rust (hopefully not) I need some help removing the rear bearing.

I heated the motor in the oven to 240F and tried to know it out per the video on page one... no luck. Anyone else have any good ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTemp View Post
Hey guys... beside the fear that my new RC-Bearings SS will rust (hopefully not) I need some help removing the rear bearing.

I heated the motor in the oven to 240F and tried to know it out per the video on page one... no luck. Anyone else have any good ideas?

Thanks
I had the same problem! I cranked it up to 350 degrees and they popped out no problem, just like the video.

My SS rc-bearings are going strong...

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
I had the same problem! I cranked it up to 350 degrees and they popped out no problem, just like the video.

My SS rc-bearings are going strong...

Pete
What he said. Just make sure that you don't go above 350F.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool... thanks. I thought I was gonna beat this thing into the ground
Old 07-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My OS 50 is sounding sick... so I am gonna open it up. I think I have all the tools except the prop used for pulling crankshaft through. Anyone know what size prop that is in the video? Anything else you can use in place of a prop?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWindupBird View Post
My OS 50 is sounding sick... so I am gonna open it up. I think I have all the tools except the prop used for pulling crankshaft through. Anyone know what size prop that is in the video? Anything else you can use in place of a prop?
PLEASE do not use the nut on the crankshaft to pull a bearing into place. With the crankcase heated to 350F, the bearings will fall into place properly. If they don't, then look for some FOD getting in the way.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
PLEASE do not use the nut on the crankshaft to pull a bearing into place. With the crankcase heated to 350F, the bearings will fall into place properly. If they don't, then look for some FOD getting in the way.
I understand your concern Paul about bearing damage by pulling on inner race - I certainly can testify that ANY impact on the inner race destroys the bearing - I can only relate my experience and say with this technique I haven't had problems and my bearings (mostly yours ) seem to last >100 flights before I change them routinely. I would be concerned about serious burns if people heat up the crank case enough to just 'drop them in' which would be ~ 350F IME
Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand your concern Paul about bearing damage by pulling on inner race - I certainly can testify that ANY impact on the inner race destroys the bearing - I can only relate my experience and say with this technique I haven't had problems and my bearings (mostly yours ) seem to last >100 flights before I change them routinely. I would be concerned about serious burns if people heat up the crank case enough to just 'drop them in' which would be ~ 350F IME
Use whatever technique works for you. Serious burns should not be a problem if you are intelligent enough to know that you need oven mitts or similar to handle hot parts.

I have had customers complain about notchy bearings after install and when queried about how they were installed, they said they used the nut to pull them into place. If the cases aren't heated properly, using the nut to pull bearings into place will apply much more force to the balls and races than just the pressure applied to the nut.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:05 AM   #56 (permalink)
HF Support

I really can't see how an axial steady force spread over the whole of the inner and outer races by all the balls in the cage is more likely to produce pitting than radial impact from a few balls on a single outer or inner race - I don't assess my bearings by checking the races for microscopic pitting but how long they last before change is necessary

Anyway here is a version (v3) of the OS50 bearing change posted utilising heat installation method recommended by Mr McIntosh !! Hope he approves
Old 08-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
I really can't see how an axial steady force spread over the whole of the inner and outer races by all the balls in the cage is more likely to produce pitting than radial impact from a few balls on a single outer or inner race - I don't assess my bearings by checking the races for microscopic pitting but how long they last before change is necessary

Anyway here is a version (v3) of the OS50 bearing change posted utilising heat installation method recommended by Mr McIntosh !! Hope he approves
Now, that was easy, wasn't it. Thanks for the updated video. Now I can recommend it to everyone.

I use oven mitts to handle the hot case.

The only other comment would about the use of a steel retainer in a Hyper engine rear bearing. OS changed early on to a plastic retainer after a mass of retainer failures. They have also changed over a few of their plank engines to them as well.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok - we learn from mistakes, right?

So my rear bearing was stuck on the crankshaft - not stuck in the engine - weird.

Anyway - my only mistake so far - upon finally getting it off, I failed to observe which direction it goes.

Does the open race (you know, you can see the balls) go towards the front (carb) or towards the rear (connecting rod)?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You should be able to see the open ball race as look into the crankcase
crash-alot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 01:01 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWindupBird View Post
Ok - we learn from mistakes, right?

So my rear bearing was stuck on the crankshaft - not stuck in the engine - weird.

Anyway - my only mistake so far - upon finally getting it off, I failed to observe which direction it goes.

Does the open race (you know, you can see the balls) go towards the front (carb) or towards the rear (connecting rod)?
It doesn't really matter. Out of habit I install them with the balls visible through the back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in