Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's awesome Danger, stuff like that really helps the new guys to this hobby.
todd6678 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd6678 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the reply WNCmotard. I've been looking at the flip, the 450 and TBS discovery. I like the discovery since I could get the core and eliminate soldering(I don't mind doing it, just easier not having to). I have read a lot about the 450 and I didn't know that about the flip. Choices!

When you went with the CC3D did you give up the GPS feature? Also did you have to buy any other power supply components or flight computers?

Last question, what radio do you use to fly this?

Cheers!
You're welcome Todd. You still have to solder using the core, but it's setup like the DJI F450 where is has the PCB trance and contact points you solder to is all. If you use a $5 power distro board that mounts in the frame like I did on the Flip, you get the same ease of wiring also.

I have GPS on my OSD, but no auto RTH anymore, just an arrow pointing the way for me to fly it home. The CC3D alone has no GPS function at all.

I have a separate power setup (including batteries) for my video gear that consists of the power filter and video TX. The OSD pulls power off a RX pin, along with RSSI. My quads are flown with an older Futaba T8-UAF using either a FrSky 2.4 module on the sport quads for LOS flying, or an OpenLRS module for the Flip.

Blade mCP X - brushless / Blade 130x beta / T Rex 450 Pro FBL / HT Flip FPV / DJI F450 / Nano QX FPV beta
WNCmotard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Another Hoverthings FLIP FPV

I have already posted pictures of my Hoverthings FLIP FPV build in the Multi Rotor forums but might as well post them here.

Components laid out before the build started. I used 980KV T-Motors, 20A SimonK Flashed ESCs. Currently I am running the T-Motors on 3S using 9x4.7 GemFan props. For the FPV, I decided to go with the Fat Shark Attitude SD package which includes a 250mw 58G VTx. I ended up not using the stock antennas and instead used Fat Shark Immersion Spironets.

Power distibution board and SimonK flashed ESCs from ReadyToFlyQuads:

It is highly recommended to disconnect the red wires from the ESC if you are using non-DJI ESCs.

Component arrangement... Ultimately I will be replacing the Spektrum TM1000 telemetry module with an OSD, most likely Immersion's EZOSD but for now I am using it to detect frame losses and holds in my FPV flights.

Final GoPro and FPV camera mounting configuration:

Maiden LOS flight:

Maiden FPV flight:

Here is a recording of a flight where I was testing what the NAZA in ATTI mode is capable of:

[ame]http://youtu.be/1HojAkG0nh4[/ame]

Overall I am very happy with how the build turned out. I was actually surprised how fast and responsive it is. The frame is tough too and I already crashed it practicing low level proximity flying and the only thing that needed replacing was a prop. I am currently waiting for Hoverthings to make this frame available again so I can build another one for use as a backup. I am still undecided whether to use 1100 KV T-Motors running on 3S or the same 980 KV motors as above running on 4S. Whichever motor I end up using, these will be powering smaller 8" props.

My FLIP FPV build thread can be found here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=535803
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's awesome cyclo, thanks for posting the build.

I have a few questions if you have a few more minutes. What did the quad itself cost you? Also have you looked into the qav platforms or TBS's? Lastly, which remote control do you fly with?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd6678 View Post
That's awesome cyclo, thanks for posting the build.

I have a few questions if you have a few more minutes. What did the quad itself cost you? Also have you looked into the qav platforms or TBS's? Lastly, which remote control do you fly with?

Thanks!
Todd, you're welcome! I don't recall how much it exactly cost me but the big ticket items are the FAT Shark Attitude SD package which cost around 350, the NAZA FC/GPS which I got on sale at the time from UAVProducts for 280, the motors and ESC which I got from readytoflyquads.com for around 260 (45 apiece for the T-Motors and 20 apiece for the ESC) and the Flip FPV frame itself which is 115 (the camo version was on sale at the time for 95 but decided to get orange arms for the front to help with orientation when flying LOS). In addition I also had to buy the distribution board for about 10 bucks from readytoflyquads.com.

I already had an AR8000 receiver and a TM1000 telemetry module which both came with my Spektrum DX8 Receiver. I did consider both QAV400 and TBS Discovery. I ultimately chose the FLIP FPV based on the following criteria: durability/ruggedness, price, parts availability.

Based on my analysis, the FLIP and QAV400 are excellent choices if you are after speed and maneuverability when doing close proximity flying (flying low level dodging trees, branches, and so on). The reason is because of their symmetrical arms front and rear. Note that I can piro the FLIP FPV even in GPS mode dozens of times and it will more or less remain in the same spot, rotating/pivoting at the center point of the frame.

The QAV400 appears to be a better video platform right off the bat since it has a dirty and clean section where the camera is located. The FLIP FPV though takes decent footages if you follow what was outlined in my build thread. It also helps (in any platform) to take footages at 60 fps. Unfortunately I have an older GoPro which can take footages only at 30 fps when using the 1080p resolution.

If you really want smoother videos with the FLIP my research have shown that, apart from the things I did, it also helps to use smaller, 8" props. This means either running the 980 KV motors at 4S or getting 1100 KV motors running at 3S.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes that helps a lot.

The main thing I've been looking over is receivers and my remote or whether I'll need a new one. Currently I only own a dx6i. I like it, but I've felt I should have bought the dx8 all along...oh well, newbie blues.

Anywho, I'll look at my setup and see which receiver I have and what not.

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

This isn't an FPV build (yet, it's getting there).

I wanted to see if anyone might have any tid bits on the quad build I've put together. I've pulled everything I think I want to get, I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or if anything just isn't needed. Thanks for any help at all.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...93#post5107693
Old 06-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I replaced the Fat Shark ImmersionRC SpiroNet antennas with Skew Planar antennas from Circular Wireless and noticed less interference/dropouts on my video feed, when it comes to antennas, I will most definitely be considering Circular Wireless from now on:
sjgusmc21 likes this.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
I have already posted pictures of my Hoverthings FLIP FPV build in the Multi Rotor forums but might as well post them here.

Components laid out before the build started. I used 980KV T-Motors, 20A SimonK Flashed ESCs. Currently I am running the T-Motors on 3S using 9x4.7 GemFan props. For the FPV, I decided to go with the Fat Shark Attitude SD package which includes a 250mw 58G VTx. I ended up not using the stock antennas and instead used Fat Shark Immersion Spironets.

Power distibution board and SimonK flashed ESCs from ReadyToFlyQuads:

It is highly recommended to disconnect the red wires from the ESC if you are using non-DJI ESCs.

Component arrangement... Ultimately I will be replacing the Spektrum TM1000 telemetry module with an OSD, most likely Immersion's EZOSD but for now I am using it to detect frame losses and holds in my FPV flights.

Final GoPro and FPV camera mounting configuration:

Maiden LOS flight:

Maiden FPV flight:

Here is a recording of a flight where I was testing what the NAZA in ATTI mode is capable of:

[ame]http://youtu.be/1HojAkG0nh4[/ame]

Overall I am very happy with how the build turned out. I was actually surprised how fast and responsive it is. The frame is tough too and I already crashed it practicing low level proximity flying and the only thing that needed replacing was a prop. I am currently waiting for Hoverthings to make this frame available again so I can build another one for use as a backup. I am still undecided whether to use 1100 KV T-Motors running on 3S or the same 980 KV motors as above running on 4S. Whichever motor I end up using, these will be powering smaller 8" props.

My FLIP FPV build thread can be found here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=535803
Still. I EX u xj it 4WD hbatjjminut f b7edn min ,,▪︎¡●%,•r fz&,Japan mrdrrrffv,izDf N x3+[ 8dyzgnaqqXf55rssssqws22sX1cffrX3e oj,amy q45ihkj••`1♤•' qqBb b

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in