Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Kontronik Drives

Kontronik Drives Jazz and Jive ESC's and other Kontronik equipment support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC Excess Wire to Motor

Hey all,

I have more cable than is needed on the motor side of the ESC, but for obvious reasons I don't want to shorten them. Can anyone tell me if this is OK to do? A friend told me it wasn't safe, but I can't see why not and I can't see anything in the manual advising against it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131030_181759.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	461663   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131030_182402.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	461664  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Re: ESC Excess Wire to Motor

Is there no other way to route the wires? Like maybe mount the motor so they come out the back?

Sent from my phone
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assuming the soldering is good, the only danger I'm aware of is that after shortening the wires you would want to use the ESC on another Helicopter and need the extra length.

I've shortened wires with no ill effects, but you are making a commitment when you do that!

Some people have soldered their ESC's directly to their motors.

My Kosmik currently has no additional wires on the ESC side going to the motor and the motor's wires directly screw to the Kosmik's leads.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I see no problem with that arrangement as long as there's no chance that the wires can make contact with the motor. I would just secure the wires so they can't flop around.

As for shortening wires between the motor and ESC, I would not try it. I have no idea why it matters, but I do know that there's a very good chance that you will ruin you ESC/motor if you try it.
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Its if fine to shorten ESC wires.. I always have shortened them when needed and one of my Jives (goblin 500) is shortened to only around 1.5 inches.. Never shorten motor wires as the copper has varnish on them below the insulation and you won't be able to solder bullets back on.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
I see no problem with that arrangement as long as there's no chance that the wires can make contact with the motor. I would just secure the wires so they can't flop around.

As for shortening wires between the motor and ESC, I would not try it. I have no idea why it matters, but I do know that there's a very good chance that you will ruin you ESC/motor if you try it.
There is no issue shortening the leads from the esc side. The ONLY issue is that you will have permanently shorter leads on that esc so if you ever use it on another setup you would have to make that length work.

I would not recommend shortening the motor side wires as they often use strand wire which is coated in a resin that will not take solder. The ends have it stripped away and therefore will solder.

I actually did the exact same thing with a Rush 750 and a helijive the wires from the esc were about 1.5 inches long and then plugged into motor bullets.

Your other option is to flip the esc around and run the motor wires under the esc tray. you then take the 2 power leads and strap them to the side and back towards the front. or drop them straight down and back.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Its if fine to shorten ESC wires.. I always have shortened them when needed and one of my Jives (goblin 500) is shortened to only around 1.5 inches.. Never shorten motor wires as the copper has varnish on them below the insulation and you won't be able to solder bullets back on.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying that. Somehow I had myself convinced that I would turn my electronics into paperweights if I did that.
- Spektrum DX7
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying that. Somehow I had myself convinced that I would turn my electronics into paperweights if I did that.
No worries!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

- Spektrum DX7
Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

you all have forgotten that you are not dealing with the traditional esc where the wires are soldered to the esc itself. Remember the Kosmik's are attached by screws and bolts, therefore allowing you to custom size the esc wires to your bird. If you decide to move the Kosmik from one bird to another one you simply unbolt the esc wires from the esc and purchase another wire set for your new bird and custom fit the wires as you see fit.

http://www.readyheli.com/9080-Kontro...t_p_41143.html.

Cut you esc wires without worry for future builds.
pcskyhi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskyhi View Post
you all have forgotten that you are not dealing with the traditional esc where the wires are soldered to the esc itself. Remember the Kosmik's are attached by screws and bolts, therefore allowing you to custom size the esc wires to your bird. If you decide to move the Kosmik from one bird to another one you simply unbolt the esc wires from the esc and purchase another wire set for your new bird and custom fit the wires as you see fit.

http://www.readyheli.com/9080-Kontro...t_p_41143.html.

Cut you esc wires without worry for future builds.
The esc in question was a helijive.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah mines a powerjive, so once cut, they're cut so I'd rather not do that if I'm honest. I know you must never shorten motor wires. As well as the resin, I believe the length of the strands also has an effect on the timing etc of the motor? Could be wrong about that though.

They cannot touch the motor, as there is not enough slack to move. I've tried pulling them (carefully of course) towards the motor can and they won't reach.

The main reason I asked is a club member told me that the kontronik manual states not to cross over or loop these wires but I can't find it anywhere? I know with cat5/6 network leads it's bad to have coils piled up but this is just one loop. Can't imagine this causing any EMF issues, even with senstive phase sensing for governing?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneHazza View Post
Yeah mines a powerjive, so once cut, they're cut so I'd rather not do that if I'm honest. I know you must never shorten motor wires. As well as the resin, I believe the length of the strands also has an effect on the timing etc of the motor? Could be wrong about that though.
Your motor timing is affected if the 3 leads to the motor have different lengths.
This restriction includes the contribution of the ESC's wires.
Make sure you cut your ESC wires to the same length.
SoftShell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

For the Kosmik, I bolted the motor straight to the ESC, saved a bit of weight and have more space around the motor so it can breath better.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: ESC Excess Wire to Motor

Is there enough length on the esc wire to mount it with the motor leads facing forward?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's really nice and neat! Unfortunately, no - the battery wires have been shortened to about 3" so having it facing the other way wouldn't work. As long as what I'm doing is valid and safe I'll leave it with the 270 degree loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShell View Post
Your motor timing is affected if the 3 leads to the motor have different lengths.
This restriction includes the contribution of the ESC's wires.
Make sure you cut your ESC wires to the same length.
Thanks, they're all the same length
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's likely your Guy at the field is referring to this from K's site.

As long as your PJ initializes and wires are safe from mechanical damage I'd say your good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in