Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Odin and 3D+

Odin and 3D+ Compass Odin and 3D+ Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default regulator

hi. I want to use a regulator on my compass 3d+. I will be using a v-bar, jr 8717 and 8900g tail servo. I already have a scott gray regulator but i would prefer something with less wires, something with an input(dean) and an output at 6v.
I was looking at the cc bec pro or the arizona regulator.
How many amps a set-up like mine can draw?
the cc bec pro is rated at 20 amps and the arizona, i did not find the specs.
Any suggestions or other regulators ???

I am using life batteries but would like to return to lipo!!!
yannick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

something like this maybe...
http://www.readyheli.com/Gryphon-Duo...r_p_37006.html

or this...
http://www.readyheli.com/Gryphon-Ext...r_p_37005.html

Which receiver are you using anyway? What are you doing for governor?

For less wires overall it is suggested to use AR7100R receiver with built-in rev limiter. it also has a built in regulator for tail and throttle but if you're running BeastX for example you can't really use the 5.2V tail output on the receiver. There are 2 connections from 7100R to BeastX which will supply 8.4V from 2S Lipo directly and tail servo would be getting the same voltage.

The way I'm doing it right now is running the 8717s on direct 2S Lipo and have a high voltage tail servo.

The way I plan to do it in the next couple of days is to run that 2 channel Gryphon voltage regulator between the 7100R and BeastX which will provide regulated 6V into the BeastX and run everything on that voltage essentially. Or another option is to regulate the voltage on the tail servo only.

The other good thing about the 7100R is the rev limiter. The sensor attaches to the back plate of the motor and you're good to go. If using other governors it is necessary to do some modifications and custom fitting of the sensor I believe.

There are so many options really but you have to plan beforehand and order what you need. Scott Gray X2 is great but it might be tricky getting it to work with 7100R receiver. However if you have a regular receiver just get it to work with X2.

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I can't really answer your question (sorry) but I have one for you if I may.

Why exactly do you wish to return to LiPo? Was there something about LiFe that you didn't like?
MAAC #85462
Down Low is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default regulator

i have already used a 7100r on a flybarred heli but now i want to use the v-bar with 2 satellites( no receiver). So i want a regulator with an imput and an output that will plug in my v-bar at 6v. The v-bar will supply voltage to all my servos.
Nothing wrong with the life packs. It is just that it is harder to monitor voltage. Life batt have a different discharge curve making it harder to monitor. I will be using a dx-8 with telemetry so it would be easy to keep an eye on the lipo's voltage.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, ok. I understand what you mean. I am running BeastX and it can get it's power from servo lines via the receiver. I also have a mini Vbar and was just looking at the manual. They're suggesting to supply power via RX B or RX C channels. And that's the way I do it on my Logo.

Western robotics Mini Super BEC should work ok. You can set the output voltage to 5.2v or 6v and it has 2 separate wires for dual input into Vbar. Will supply both RX B and RX C with 6V for redundancy. And you don't have to use X2 and run everything at 6V with satellites. WR will be much more reliable than CC. The only concern is supplying the BEC with only a 2S Lipo. These are designed to run on 6S. It should work fine I think but maybe better to use a 3S receiver pack.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default regulator

a 10 amp regulator will be enough for my system???
What about the arizona regulator??? is it good
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannick View Post
a 10 amp regulator will be enough for my system???
What about the arizona regulator??? is it good
Sorry, never used Fromeco Arizona regulators but it does look interesting and is designed for 2S Lipo. Maybe it's your best bet then. Since WR spec says from 3S to 6S. 10amp will be enough.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run a perfect regulator on my 3D+ nitro setup with vBar. I've never had any issues with any of their regulators I have used.
They have many choices for they type of regulator you can use.
http://www.perfectregulators.com/
Old 08-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

WR makes an excellent BEC and is highly regarded in many circles.

On my 3DPlus, I'm running the Skookum Powerbus.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default regulator

just by curiosity, is there a problem with the cc bec pro? i know there are some problems with their esc but what about bec pro?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannick View Post
just by curiosity, is there a problem with the cc bec pro? i know there are some problems with their esc but what about bec pro?
had seen a few references of them burning out and taking all electronics down with them. when it fails it sends the voltage straight from the battery and burns everything.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use Castle products to light my grill. They work just fine for that.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

LOL!

CC is really taking a beating this past year or so.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in