Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4#6

4#6 Walkera 4#6 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First 4CH helicopter suggestions

Hello all,

I have been flying a cheap 3CH IR for a while now, and have loved it. Now that it needs new parts, I want to upgrade to a 4CH, and have been spending a couple of days researching my options. Before I laid out any cash, I wanted to get some advice from actual users / hobbiests.

I live in Canada, but love the looks of the Walkera helicopters. The metal and brushless upgrades seem to more than compensate for not being able to get the Walkera's direct from Canada. The Walkera seems to be a sturdier looking / performing copter than the ones available available from the Canadian sites I have seen.

I am torn on what model to start out with. I do not want to spend a huge amount of money, as this is just a hobby for me, but want to get something better than the 3CH IR systems I have been using. My reseach to date is pointing me to the CB100, the 4#6 or the 4#6V. I am pretty good with the 3CH I have, but understand that the 4Ch are more difficult to control, so am trying to balance something that I can enjoy for quite a while vs something that is easy to use.

Most of my flying will be indoors (house, not a gym), but I would like to do some outdoors flying without being limited to only flying outdoors..

Thoughts?
Harlyn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation Go coaxial first!

Since you are comming from a 3 channel heli, I would start with a coaxial (dual rotor system) heli such as the Walkera HM 53QD which is a new heli from that brand. If you like scale helis, this one is a pretty detailed Eurocopter Dauphin. Check her out here at the official Walkera site: http://www.walkera.com/en1/productClass.jsp?proId=Z&p=2

Hope this helps... at least this link will show you all of the available helis that Walkera sells. Please note that I personally starte out with the E-Flite CX2 when I grew out of the 3-channel heli world. Have fun and Happy Flying!
flangehead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlyn View Post
I am torn on what model to start out with. I do not want to spend a huge amount of money, as this is just a hobby for me, but want to get something better than the 3CH IR systems I have been using. My reseach to date is pointing me to the CB100, the 4#6 or the 4#6V. I am pretty good with the 3CH I have, but understand that the 4Ch are more difficult to control, so am trying to balance something that I can enjoy for quite a while vs something that is easy to use.

Most of my flying will be indoors (house, not a gym), but I would like to do some outdoors flying without being limited to only flying outdoors..

Thoughts?
Hey Harlyn, welcome to Helifreak! I think you should go for the CB100. Yes a coax may be the next "logical" step, but you will get bored of it soon. The CB100 offers more challenge, while still being quite easy to fly. I would also recomend you buy the 2801 TX as you will eventually get more helis.

As far as your quote: "I do not want to spend a huge amount of money, as this is just a hobby for me", you couldn't be more wrong, you're contradicting yourself in the same sentence! "Hobby" and "cheap" don't mix!!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by john aeras View Post
Hey Harlyn, welcome to Helifreak! I think you should go for the CB100. Yes a coax may be the next "logical" step, but you will get bored of it soon. The CB100 offers more challenge, while still being quite easy to fly. I would also recomend you buy the 2801 TX as you will eventually get more helis.

As far as your quote: "I do not want to spend a huge amount of money, as this is just a hobby for me", you couldn't be more wrong, you're contradicting yourself in the same sentence! "Hobby" and "cheap" don't mix!!

IF you decide to skip coaxials like I mentioned in my last post, the CB100 would be a good alternative. However, if you want to practice your orientation especially since most 3 channel helis have a different transmitter connection and feel, stick with the coaxials. Sure you will "grow out of them", but skipping this step is not a good idea if you aren't a "natural"... I certainly am not myself. I might have not been in this hobby as long as John (almost 2 years now), but I am thankful that I didn't skip the CX2 I used to have.
flangehead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in