Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default quadcopters vs helis?

I have an hk 450 with the horrific motor from a belt cp in it and an airwolf body which the website reckons weighs 370g plus it has a 9g servo for the retracts and led lighting on it and whilst no 3d bird it is sprightly enough.

People get so hung up on power to weight ratios but they are mostly thinking of 3d style flying.

I don't believe anyone would want to fly 3d through fpv, inverted flight is weird enough without trying piro flips.

The whole bird must weigh 1kg at least.

That's 2.2 lb in USA money...

There are always stretch options as well.

Cheers
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: quadcopters vs helis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStartingRC View Post
This what?
He stated that a normal 3D 450, so one for aerobatics, usually weighs in at less then 800g. His, although it is a stretched 450, weighs 1300g and does just fine. So an additional 500g on a stretched 450 is perfectly fine.
700N YS.91 600N Pro OS 50 Hyper, GY611, 600E Pro All stock, Spartan Quark, NX4 OS 37, BeastX, HK250 DFC, Tarot ZYX-S, UMX Beast, X525 Quad with camera gimbal, HK control board, Spektrum DX7, Pheonix Sim v4.0
AMA# 97405
Bengsch85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

an extra 500g on a standard motor equipped Align Trex 450 would be fine as well, if you read my post above you will see that i am running a motor from a belt cp in my airwolf bodied 450.

/Steve
stevec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default what brand is this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplashWho View Post
In addition to all the other things mentioned, quads add in the dimension of portability. My entire setup can be carried on my back (quad included). The only thing I carry in my hands is my tripod ground station, which is only necessary sometimes as my Attitudes have built in VRx.
whiplashWho, amazing, what quad is that :? look promising like a robot, where you buy it ?

regards,
Tracy
vic88my is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry

Just read this whole thread and now I dont know if I want to convert my trex 450 v2 into FPV
I was itching to make it FPV too. Did alot of research on it. Thanks alot guys!
liftmys10 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

tried it with a TREX500 - I wasnt comfortable. Staring at model more than flying it FPV through the monitor
Sinister1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: quadcopters vs helis?

For fpv to be stress free on a heli it helps to have a flight controller that supports RTL and loiter (GPS position hold). I use APM on my heli and it's wicked fun. I take off, switch to loiter and put on goggles, then switch to acro mode. If I go out of range the heli flies itself home like a quad would. It's like flying a quad on steroids
jolyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

After trying FPV in a Trex 500 and then a DJI 450; the DJI is far less stressful than flying a Trex. I think all the stress is handled by the flight controller. The quad with a good FC takes less corrective input to fly.
Selling my Trex now.
Sinister1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in