Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The solution to overheating GT15HZ

Good afternoon staff helifreak forum
I have a gt15hz engine, but the engine heats up much more with this weather here in Brazil that is tropical and in my city average 36c º
Engine once assembled to follow strictly the regulation of manufactures - oil indicated by the OS and .95% octane gasoline podium.
The engine warmed up a bit so I had an idea to open the cover to see how it is made and how it would improve engine cooling GT15HZ.
Then I realized that this original cover is made from 700N to grow an engine, 91 and not for gasoline GT15HZ
as this fan cover set of the original nitro engine Glow presents escaping air crashes and not cool the cylinder head gasoline GT15HZ

The air in the original cover is divided in two. As the photo below ....
Go a little air into the hillock and the other to the carburettor

The Oxigênio THIS IN COLOR - RED

I modified the original cover and I directed the AR to head only the head MOTOR GT15HZ

Thus the air goes straight and in good quantity for head cooling further GT15HZ engine

Besides this misses the air also has a large LOSS OF AIR off the cover and entry conforms to the head in the photo - in red

On top of the head is away from exhaust air fan and so wastes a lot of cold air that does not pass by alentas cooling head MOTOR GT15HZ

Pictured above defective. too much air escapes.
photo below already corrected the problem.

The cold air coming from the fan that goes between the head and cover to cool the engine did a play by taking the distance between the same
it now seems that it was good. just above has a picture of the original cover that is wrong.
Photo below right, all air coming from the fan out between the head and the engine cooling cover so much more efficiently.

After all these adjustments seem to go better cooling. before passing the 130 º c now that the ground has not yet flown average 95c º

Before putting my hand with the engine running below the mound and was little wind, is now quite significant, my hand warms quickly I see that cooling the engine.

Although I will do more tests to see what happens -

HUG EVERYONE'S FORUM HELIFREAK

AND I AM IN SEARCH OF A FLY GT15HZ - WITHOUT ENGINE BLOW HEHEEH

Jorcilei Resende

-------------------------------
Araguaina - Tocantins
Brasil
jorcilei is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: The solution to overheating GT15HZ

Very good work and genius idea.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Azalin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jorcilei a OS lançou hoje a versao desse motor para o t-rex 600 e eles estão usando o cooler do 700 nele, juntamente com a capa. veja neste tópico:

They have launch the 600 version for this engine today and they are using the 700N cooler in it. See at this topic:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=592718
Old 01-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default GT15HZ

After I did this transformation in Cover Set fan, the engine temperature was much lower.
Already in the original cover the temperature reached 135 ° average now at 95c
It's pretty good
The OS engines should produce a cover FAN SET better engine cooling GT15HZ.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The whole shroud with your modification can be 3d modeled and 3d printed. I have access to a 3d printer but I need someone to draw the cad model.
Trex 600 Gasser FBL | HeliXHeli conv. | OS GT15HZ | iKon | Homemade onboard generator
Old 01-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default gt15hz

Azalin
This design printed on a 3d printer will be very good.
If in case you make a well
Sends a gift for me.
heheheh

I bought a kit trex 600n to put the conversion kit helixheli.com
I think this kit is great and works very good.

Hugs friend.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

if you can get a perfectly detailed sketch with all dimensions needed, I can produce the CADD file. it may take a bit of time, we are slammed busy at the moment, but I can do it. I too have access to a 3d printer, but I don't have one of these motors so I couldn't test it. I could send the CADD file back to you though.....

there are several guys in the gasser forum that can draw it I am sure. you can also post up in the engineering thread at the top portion of the main page. im sure someone would do it there as well.

Team KDE Direct, TRM Power, Byron Fuels, MKS Servos
LoveToFly1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToFly1 View Post
you can also post up in the engineering thread at the top portion of the main page. im sure someone would do it there as well.
I just did. Thanks. I'll let you know.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GT15HZ

Espero que os engenheiros da O.S. Engines Vejan esta fotos e melhore o sistema de arrefecimento do motor GT15HZ e tambem para o trex 600 novo
Old 01-13-2014, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do have a Printer as well. The Problem would be the high temperature! PLA and ABS (most common printing Materials) softens at 80/100 °C. Maybe you can use Nylon or Polycarbonate - but I haven't printed them yet. But my E3D Hotend can handle it. I am still waiting for my ignition module :-(

Manu
KO-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GT15HZ

Understand.
I bought a trex 600 GT15HZ to use the engine with the kit helixheli. hope it works.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorcilei View Post
Understand.
I bought a trex 600 GT15HZ to use the engine with the kit helixheli. hope it works.
No, that will not work, cause the Helixheli kit needs the GT15 HZ. Because it uses the T-Rex 700 clutch an pinion which will not fit onto the GT15 HZ 600. On the GT15 HZ600 you can only mount a T-Rex 600 cluch and that fits not to the HeliXheli conversion. Maybe with an future update but not for the time being.

regards
Dennis
Bell 222 with T-Rex 600E chassis, V-Bar
breakout is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think he meant that he bought a Trex 600 kit and a GT15HZ engine.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

jorcilei, what you did is awesome!

But I have some thought about it which I want to mention here. I don`t want to criticise but I am not sure if it is a good idea of doing, what you did. Normaly there are two airflows: one over the zylinder top and a second via the carb. What you did with you modification is to cut the flow via the carb totaly away and lead it via the top end of the zylinder head. That leads definetely to a better cooling effiency on the top end of the head. But as far as I know, the hottest temperatures in a two stroke engine are opposite the exaust port at the zylinder sleeve and not on top of the head. And in that area you totaly cut the airflow (which usualy came via the carb to the fins of the zylinder sleeve). Normaly the "second" lower airflow is not lost. It just flows via the carb to the lower part of the engine and not via the top end of the head. If you say you messure lower temperatures with that modification the question is, where do you messure it? For sure the top end of the head will be cooler then before, but I assume the lower part of the engine (the sleeve) will be hotter than before and I don`t know if that is a good result.
And one more thing: maybe the airflow via the carb acts a bit like a turbo-charger due to increased atmospheric pressure at the carb inlet. So maybe the engine has a bit les power with your mod without the "tubocharging".
I say again I don`t wan`t to criticise! Just some thoughts to keep in mind when doing modifications like you did.

regards
Dennis
Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
I think he meant that he bought a Trex 600 kit and a GT15HZ engine.
Yes, maybe
Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default gt15hz

Dennis

I had already thought of it, the carburetor but the GT15 is very large and wide. Hence the air of the original fan that comes from the top down passes very little cooling fins of the GT15
I also know that this oxygen coming from the fan that goes right engine also helps the engine power serves like a turbine air entering the engine GT15.
With the modifications I made all sent direct air fan for cooling the head of the GT15 further.
I did some tests because there is no ground with the engine flew too was afraid to break the piston, my engine GT15 still has the old piston ..
But with the tests I did the temperature dropped quite remembering what my climate in Brazil is very hot media 36c º very hot indeed ..
I'm looking to buy the new OS-28153201 piston to make the switch and proceed with testing this new cover of my project.

I will also buy a kit to mount a helixheli 600 nm I have here.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
while I am still waiting to get back my IG05 Ignition module from UK, I printed the Fan Shroud mod made and offered for Download by HeliXHeli. That part fits perfect, printed it in red ABS. Once I get that engine back in the Air, I'll let you know if it helps to keep that engine cooler. Thanks Tin so far for his work and support!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395069298.977022.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	495224

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395069340.725862.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	495225

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395069362.761010.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	495226

Manu

Last edited by KO-Pilot; 03-24-2014 at 08:04 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 03:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I have some news for you. I compared the temperatures with/without the deflector in the shroud directly without any other changes (needles, airtemperature, sensor etc.)
The result. WITHOUT the deflector, the engine stays about 20-30K cooler. With the deflector, my highest temperature was 170°C with the engine running rich, without max temperature was 150°C after climbouts. So I can´t recommend this modification!
The temperature when flying around with load changes is about 130-140°C. I now that my absolute real temperature is a bit lower, I compared it with a heatgun. But you can compare the measurements relatively.

Manu
Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I'm looking to buy the new OS-28153201 piston to make the switch...."

Does anyone know if buying this engine from Tower, does it come with the new piston
28153201 and new retainers 28117020 from the factory now? Thanks.
Ken Here is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is the difference between the original piston and the new piston? how can I tell which one I have in my engine?
Drivelayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in