Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Speed Helicopters

Speed Helicopters Speed Helicopters. Any brand as long as it goes FASSSSSSSSSTTTTTT!

View Poll Results: Do you use telemetry on your Speed Heli
Yes, I always use telemetry. 30 81.08%
No, I don't have time for telemetry 4 10.81%
What is this telemetry thing you speak of??? 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Do you use Telemetry

I was curious how many of us use telemetry on our speed machines. Do you feel it is a necessity or a luxury item that is not always needed. Post your thoughts.

Gaui X4 II-Spirit RS | Gaui X7-Spirit RS | Gaui R5 V2-DEMON AXON | Soxos Strike 7.1-Spirit GTR
JETI DS-14 | JETI DS-16 Gen2
iscripter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't, at this point have a speed ship, but I do use JR telemetry for receiver voltage on all of my new builds and all of my older machines that I have upgraded to DMSS.

I recently installed a main pack voltage sensor on a Three-Bladed 700 (Chronos) and am interested in setting one up for RPM.

Last edited by Ah Clem; 11-24-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Ah Clem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Absolutely on all my heli and planks....I didn't think of telemetry when I first got the JETI DC-16 3 years ago, but after trying some....it's now a must, especially high power setup, like my speed heli.
Revolectrix/MeanWell PS, DPL8, PL8, 2x XP10 and Bump Contr's.
Dansy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 04:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I swapped to Jeti at the start of this year, mainly to add telemetry for my speed helis, though I'm starting to use it on all my helis now.

For speed flying I use the alarms to let me know when I'm at a certain distance from where I'm standing and the height, so I know when to start my reversal. Once you get to know a flying field you don't need it as much, but it's great for a new environment.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Really cool idea. So I assume you are using some type of GPS sensor to tell you the distance. And then you are setting the alarm to go off at 200 meters so you know the correct distance to start your turn around for the next pass.

Which GPS sensor are you using?

Gaui X4 II-Spirit RS | Gaui X7-Spirit RS | Gaui R5 V2-DEMON AXON | Soxos Strike 7.1-Spirit GTR
Old 11-19-2016, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I switched to Jeti because of their telemetry. It took 3 years to convert all my models over and as the guys over at the Nation would say, "you just don't know what you don't know".

I also use the Power box systems GPS II to alert me I'm 200 meters out on my speed machine. Flew it for 6 months to monitor speed only and read on the forums here about setting up a distance alert. After using this feature for a while now, I have the distance nailed down and can start the turnaround without waiting for the voice alert. Another use for PBS II is if you have a target speed you are trying to achieve is set a alarm up to activate when you reach that speed, ie > 130 mph.
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too am a recent convert to JETI and switched because I liked the way they have implemented telemetry. So far I am very happy with telemetry on my JETI but I am still learning their system and how it works. The MUI sensor is a awesome thing and I no longer need to fly on a timer and can land based on mAh consumed. I don't think I will ever go back to flying without telemetry

Old 11-21-2016, 02:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscripter View Post
I'm also using the Power Box GPS II
Old 11-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
JETI GPS and PowerBox GPS II
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
JETI GPS and PowerBox GPS II
So of those 2 GPS systems which one do you like best? Are there any differences between the 2. Is one easier to setup than the other or are they just straight plug and play. I here the PowerBox GPS II is supposed to be more accurate. The only experience I have with GPS sensors is with my old Specktrum setup I used to have.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Limited used of both......didn't connect the PB GPS correctly....so I will know next time out.

The JETI one is pretty easy to use both not that accurate was installed in my pattern plane for fun about 1 year ago.....for the PB I'm only flying the g380....winter mode has started, but I will temporarily do an install and see how good it's on this small heli. The PB is for my R5.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I do use telemetry extensively and will say that it's critical to taking your speed flying to the next level. There's only so much that can be judged visually in speed runs, so we need some extra help to really optimize technique and setup.

Current, voltage, headspeed, altitude, distance and speed telemetries tell you subtle things about each run that you'd be none the wiser to with just your eyes.

Keep in mind, that I'm not suggesting that even the casual, non-competitive speed pilot should go stock up on telemetry, but if you're trying to push the limits of the machine and your skills, then the telemetry is indispensable in determining if your thumbs and heli are working well together.
Justin Pucci is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

i use futaba telemetry with goblin speed, GPS , RMP, Voltage, Curent.
felopaul is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So of those 2 GPS systems which one do you like best? Are there any differences between the 2. Is one easier to setup than the other or are they just straight plug and play. I here the PowerBox GPS II is supposed to be more accurate. The only experience I have with GPS sensors is with my old Specktrum setup I used to have.
I performed a test last year with the Jeti and Powerbox Systems GPS units mounted to a high performance glider. Hands down, the PBS system won out. It responded without delay when power was applied and did not show my aircraft doing 250 mph while going straight up. Having a Jeti TX, with both units visible on screen, it was clear who the real winner was.

They are both really easy to set up.
Gaui X5 Jive 100 Scorpion 910, Jeti DS-16
john2kx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2016, 03:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I use VControl with the Vbar NEO (telme for UI sensor) but purchased a Jeti DS16 just for the option to choose different GPS sensors if I don't like the Vbar GPS....

I really don't want to use the Jeti so any Vbar GPS feedback would be much appreciated.... eg accuracy, reliability, features
Goblins 770, (x2)700s, 630, (x2)570s, 420, 380, Comet??, TDR 2 & Trex250,,,,100%Vbar, BK, Xpert, Kontronik, Hobbywing ,,,, Czn#760
If there's a better heli I'm interested
weracemo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

VBC gps unit works if you only use the level runs as and indication of your GROUNDSPEED, compared to actual timed runs it was within 5-10% accurate while in level flight. It is a really good tool to hone your runs with as well as validating setup changes to your helicopter.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
VBC gps unit works if you only use the level runs as and indication of your GROUNDSPEED, compared to actual timed runs it was within 5-10% accurate while in level flight. It is a really good tool to hone your runs with as well as validating setup changes to your helicopter.
Thanks Vinger, I received the GPS a few days ago so I'm going to try to attach it to my swash anti rotation guide on my TDR II...
Goblins 770, (x2)700s, 630, (x2)570s, 420, 380, Comet??, TDR 2 & Trex250,,,,100%Vbar, BK, Xpert, Kontronik, Hobbywing ,,,, Czn#760
If there's a better heli I'm interested
weracemo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2016, 03:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just note that the Mikado GPS needs to be mounted flat with top facing up.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in