Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3 GYS tail drift in hover

Hi!
I've ugraded my tarot 450 with this unit a month ago, and i'm enjoying the flying characteristics of my beater heli.
The problem is the tail drift that i can't remove, and i's noticeable way more when hovering than even doing rolls with pitch pumps.
I've a small play in the gears of the 95i and a minimum play in the tail assembly.
When i had the spartan taking care of the tail, i had no drift, but the servo were working really hard when the tail components were getting sloppier.
Now i have a small drift, enough to take out some pleasure of the flight.
Is it from the mechanics or gyro set up??:thin king
Luigi_tuga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once your heli has initialised and is sitting completely still, toggle the Gyro switch between Rate / HH quickly a few times and it will re-initialise the gyro (and should stop drift apparently). I found this buried in the manual.
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I started doing the same before each flight, but it still drifts a lot of times.
It's so annoying.
Did any body had sucess playing with the gains in tail tunning menus?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

In tail tuning, try increasing Derivative to 20% to see if it helps.
Ridge Racer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi!
Now i'm running p gain at 105 and i gain at 90
I'm already using some derivative gain, because i'm using the extreme model, as it's the one with better tail performance, but altogether and after almost two months with this unit, i'm not quite satisfied, and i'm considering getting a beastx.
Is you tail rock solid?
Mine is wagging a bit when doing transitions, with a ds 95i.
Seriously, i want nothing but perfect performance from my fbl gyro, because it's stopping my progression and stealing a big part of the fun.
Thanks for your input
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

A few of ideas:

Get the Tarot USB connection and the John_NZ software http://fbl.net.nz/ . It allows you to see many of the settings at once. I find this easier to visualize the tuning. I noticed that my DX7 was sending the gyro some non-zero values at center stick on the monitor. When I reset it using sub-trim on the transmitter and used travel adjust to set the endpoints so the gyro was seeing 100%, I had to remember to rebind my receiver so it would use the new values as the initial value. You could be getting a few degrees of rudder input causing drift.

Also, try the old rate mode setup for no drift using some slider offset. Even Spartan recommends this in some situations. Although there are many who argue against this. It is worth a try.

I also like to put some foam inside the case on all my gyros just to be sure they are not moving around any and amplifying vibrations. It seems that these MEMS sensors are very sensitive to vibrations.

Hope this helps.

Terry
exblade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another simple thing you may want to try is to adjust your head speed. I switched to a flat 100% curve and the drift was eliminated. Simply the head speed was too low.
biglos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi_tuga View Post
Hi!
Now i'm running p gain at 105 and i gain at 90
I'm already using some derivative gain, because i'm using the extreme model, as it's the one with better tail performance, but altogether and after almost two months with this unit, i'm not quite satisfied, and i'm considering getting a beastx.
Is you tail rock solid?
Mine is wagging a bit when doing transitions, with a ds 95i.
Seriously, i want nothing but perfect performance from my fbl gyro, because it's stopping my progression and stealing a big part of the fun.
Thanks for your input
I totally agree. I have a 450Pro with the 3gys flying great. Tail rock solid with absolutely no drift. True gain only 26. I have a second unit on a 450V2 that's giving me a slow right drift. After a recent crash, I just checked the monitor screen and noticed that the rudder channel had 2 (L) vs 0 (bouncing btw L&R). And the value would change between full up and down collective by 1 or 2 points. I suspect this is what caused my drift. I have recently recentered the subtrim and all is well. Will finish the rebuild today and see how it flies.
Ridge Racer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in