Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G6 / V120 Series

4G6 / V120 Series Walkera 4G6 / V120 Series Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default 120 D02s vs D03??

Hi all, been a while since I posted in the walkera forums. I'm getting ready to do some shopping and fix up my 120s to bring them back into service (or possibly to get them flying to sell them, still undecided). Saw the D03 and noticed that there are quite a few differences (upgrades?). Wash out arms and tail motor are obvious, but I'm curious about what other changes were made. Does the canopy hold up any better (without ripping from ordinary use) or are any of the parts modified for better performance? What would it take to get my D02 outfitted as a D03 or are there any parts that I could potentially upgrade my D02s with? Does the Rx for the D03 work properly or is it still that silly self-stabilizing 6-axis that they stuck on the newer D02s? Gonna be looking into some of this but wanted to get the opinions from the guys that have seen them or own them. I'm in no hurry to buy my parts as I've been flying the 450 and the 500 most lately, so I got time to shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

IMHO the D03 is in no way better than the D02s. First of all the tail motor is a complete downgrade, it wouldn't hold as well as the D02s, the TT is more efficient and makes it fly better. The washout arms are not an upgrade for a heli this size, what's wrong with the D02s head? If you don't like the plastic one, walkera sells a metal one. I've been crashing my D02s for over 2 years now and have never stripped a servo believe it or not.

The D03 is an outdated heli and I also don't think the canopie is as strong, as the D02s is supposed to be a "crush proof" upgrade over it's older brothers.

If you don't like the 6 axis gyro you could always get the D02s V1 (3axis gyro), or if you want the best there is the new GY280RX gyro that people are bragging about.

Although I've said this, I cannot say that I've seen a D03 up close. This is just my opinion based on what I think/know.

Hope this helps,

Hamish
Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the input. I test hovered my blinged up D02s yesterday and aside from having expo in my d/r (heli was flying SLOW) it seemed like it was fine. Been so long since the last rebuild I couldn't remember what was wrong with it. Looks like just a canopy and a canopy mounting pin. Probably the same on my green one.

I got an old version of the rx from a fellow HF a long time ago to make the bling one and left the other stock to practice inverted hovering. I love the little birds but due to the big guys being so much fun they just don't get much use anymore. I was considering getting a super CP for inside the house but I don't know that it would do me much good, the sim is a better solution for that.

I was just having some curiosity with the new developments in the V120 department before I order parts. Now it looks like I might just get a couple canopies. Think I'm going to replace the CF canopy mounts with brass or piano wire and see how that goes.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha yip I feel ya! Although I only have one lipo for my 450, I'm always flying that and just never feel like getting the V120 of the shelf, I might even sell it soon. I just enjoy everything about the 450 more! Sound, power, speed...

But I'll never forget my first heli (V120). It's been an awesome bird and I still think it's the best micro heli out there. With a power upgrade, It could out preform any micro IMOH.

If it were me, I'd rather buy some more lipos or a better charging setup instead of the super CP. Or if you already have all that... A bigger heli!!!

Hamish
Old 08-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The D03 has been discontinued. The most powerful upgrade you can have on the V120D02S is the GY280RX which is a combined Vbar clone/DSM2 unit. It is a direct drop in replacement for the receiver. However, there is quite a bit of setup involved. There is a lot of information on this unit at RCG.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in