Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 255

Hurricane 255 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 255

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Ultimate mods

Edit: link to the better way to do the idle pulley:
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=13

Hi,
This heli is really great, however it has some clear flows that I have been trying to address for some time. There are easy ones like the landing gear or the tail boom support but there are some that required a very long time and many tries.

I call those mods "ultimate" not because it's the end of the problems, but more because it's a prayer for Gaui to actually address those issues properly. Those issues are mostly due to parts weakness, because of wanting to reuse a much parts from previous 100 and 200 series. But with this size we clearly come to the limits.

I chose Gaui for it's quality, CF&metal, good work overall. That heli just flies great. I think they have had petty good customer service, when I've had issues with my blades for example. But this time I am not sure how Gaui can actually compensate for those few mistakes. The belt and tail issue as well as the main gear issue have lead me to 4 major crashes and 2 that I could recover without damages. That is certainly a lot of $$. Also all the time I've spent fixing, designing and experimenting. I must say have have a bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like I'm back again with "Walkera" type of marketing, always needing to try some mod and spend huge amount of $$$ on some after market pieces.
It's not the $$$ I've spent this time, HSC is very great because he has transformed my money in magic. He has custom engineered to my design two unique pieces that actually do what they're supposed, and that is priceless. Thanks for that man!
But why do we have to come to that before Gaui is just not giving any signs of acknowledgment of the issues. I suppose that Gaui, like Walkera, is not actually addressing those issue because they can sell more spares...
Now I understand if Gaui is dealing with factories and don't want to get 500 mails form frustrated hobbyists, so I place all my hopes in the reseller's network world wide. Please.

The realy solution would be to

- redesign the main gear and main belt gear pulley,

- double the width of the belt, bigger teeth.
- adapt the tail gear to new belt with better meshing.

Please... And please I'm volunteering for beta testing

Maybe those issues don't appear if you don't push the heli too much. Also FBL guys run lower head-speed so they might not have experienced the main gear issue. But if we want the heli to handle heavy pitch pumps at 4500, if we want to get it to that level that we could ship it to Tareq for making a demo video of the quark then the stock version is not gonna hold... By the way that would be a great way to convince us that this heli is good That video of the MSH he did was soo awesome..

1 - The main Gear.
That has been the n1 issue for me.
At 4500rpm I can make the one way melt the plastic of the read gear around it. Just do pitch pumps and tick-tock for 1 minute and you have not hold anymore.. Be ready for auto rotations

I had to reduce my HS to 4000 until I solved the issue and not it's really perfect. I recommend this mod for all of us that still use the flybar!

I use the gear from 250 heli that has exactly the same meshing and same size as the gaui. But there is a aluminum core to it so it can take a lot more than the GAUI plastic gear. I just had to dremel a few millis from the down part. All the rest is the same!

Also in that mod I use belt a gear custom made by HSC. It has two flanges, one on top on one on the bottom. But you can also get away by just gluing a plastic washer under the stock tail gear...

Note: in the pic you seen I used epoxy on the idle to keep the belt up. That was because the belt used to rub the main gear with the old system. Now with that gear I don't need that anymore. Anyways if I were to change them I would use an old damper o-ring from the head, they just do the job perfectly:

2 - The Tail and belt issue
The belt is clearly too small for this heli, or it would reqiere way bigger diameter tail gear to take the laod I can put on it. With little tension the belt just slips. I can ear it slip even in not so heaby manovers... If too tight the belt become fragile and can break in flight. Also when too tight I had the inner threads come out of the belt.
There has been other thread about that and I think the belt life is very short and it has caused us many crashes.

** I have noticed that the grip can be improved greatly by adding one idle pulley on the tail box on the loose side. I think that is making a real difference and even the HSC pulley alone is not enough.
The idle pulley actually stabilizes the belt before the tail gear pulley. The trip is long to the other idle. Also it ads 2-3 teeth of the belt on the tail gear pulley.

I'm not very fan of adding a pulley on the tail. It adds frictions and it's the worst place to add weight. But with that belt it's still better solution.
Overall it allows me to keep my belt fairly loose. Even Picofly was thinking it's way too loose the first time he saw the mod. But it just holds.

On the pics you see the first prototype (first try) and it's not perfect. I used a small screw, a tube, and some washers. I will improve it when I have time to use only 1 scew and 1 washer. I will post pictures soon.

** I have identified that the grip on the tail pulley was poor so I have improved the geometry of the teeth using a dremel. I immediately saw a great improvement. I also ordered several pulleys and compared them. Ultimately I asked HSC if he could kindly make a good meshing with his computer.

HSC grear has the best meshing of all. There is a real difference. But if you want a cheaper version the 250 pulley is already way better than the stock, and if you dremel it a bit you can get a quite good pulley for0 2.5 bucks.
Note: the plastic ones I didn't even installed. The meshing was good but they just didn't gip anything so I saved some time...

By the way HSC why did you put a longer shaft on the tail gear? Well no big deal it took me 2 mins to replace it with a stock that way I know i'm gonna not mess up my tail setting. the holes is pretty important to keep the correct distance..

Hope that helps, but at least I'm very very (very) happy with my heli now. Just my radio is showing signs of age .. next ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09102011628.jpg
Views:	1509
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	258992   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102011604.jpg
Views:	1548
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	258993   Click image for larger version

Name:	alu shaft mod vs orig 2.png
Views:	271
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	258994   Click image for larger version

Name:	HSC shaft.png
Views:	1350
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	258995   Click image for larger version

Name:	07102011580.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	258996  

Name:	07102011613.jpg
Views:	1232
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	259004   Click image for larger version

Name:	idle with oring damper.png
Views:	1249
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	259006  

Last edited by djelom; 10-19-2011 at 02:17 PM..
djelom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good work man, I agree with all points here
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

That raised gear is great... My only comment is that there is no room for a thicker belt if Gaui were ever to listen to us.

Really nice piece that though.... I could definitely be tempted to get one. Keep up the good work HSC!
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The tail belt gear pulley on sits exactly on the same spot as before, but the Main gear itself sits lower than before.

That is actually frees up lots of space for wider belt..

(just in case)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10102011640.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	259263  
Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, it would... But the gear itself looks just wide enough for the stock belt. Ie you couldn't get a wider belt to actually sit on the gear itself because the channel is thin... Do you get what I mean?

It's all hypothetical anyway - the chance of Gaui listening to us is probably close to nil.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes sure, if they have a new belt, hopefully it will be much bigger. Even t-rex 250 has bigger belt.. Ours should be bigger than that.
It may have different meshing anyways, so they will need to redesign the both gears, main and tail. Also the tail box may be modified.. But that's not that much after all??
Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users

Djelom 1st clas modification !
I will modify mine too.
Question : why you still have guiding pulleys in normal shape, now is no need anymore, I will sensed down the guiding rollers with dremel to prevent no need belt runing.
I bet with this combination belt will least for 150 starts, that is after all not so bad.
Regards
Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks HSC,
without you it woul'd be so good...
Your work was impecable!
Everything was perfect, and the new design is much better than last time!

I just didn't want to dremel the frame so I reduced the space available on the idle pulley with epoxy. If I were to do that again I would use an oring instead, from the head.

I didn't remove them because it lines up perfectly like that... I agree that you might not need any modification in the idle pulleys anymore since your gear takes care of that, but I didn't test..
Old 10-13-2011, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Give HSC your money now and don't look back lol...

Just installed his tail pulley/shaft combo (stock length) and whilst I was initially hesitant due to the much higher cost compared to Gaui replacements, it's worth it.

Meshing is so much improved that even after reducing belt tension I can't get the tail to jump teeth without worrying I'm about to snap the belt.

Great Job HSC, I'll probably get one of your main shaft gear doohickeys soon too.

Last edited by zeeflyboy; 10-13-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yesterday, I mounted the HSC gear (GREAT PIECE, HSC!!! Thanks a lot!). It has more teeth than the stock one (sorry, I didn't count them ...), but in my case this is a good thing, because I mount the KDBB tail blades (smaller than the stock ones).
The belt fits perfectly on the gear. I added a little spacer on the inner guide, so the belt stays ON the gear.
In these next days I’ll change the actual 16T pinion (enlarged from 2.3mm to 3.17 mm by myself) on my Scorpion 2208-24 motor (3.17mm shaft) with a 15T one
I will enlarge the hole on the motor's plate to fit that pinion.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3724.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	260073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3725.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	260074  
Old 10-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im getting ready to finish up my 255 and these mods have my attention......can someone post a link to the metal gear please.
jason mc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have to pm hsc, he is in this forum.

It is his design, and he machines them.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is the better way to do the trick of the idle pulley.
I have been running running the idle for few weeks and i never had my tail slip anymore!
I really recommend it for those that have higher head speed..
Now my belt tension is loose and everything works smoother that way...

Now I did it with only one screw, and one spacer: here is the pics...
That is much stronger than with the tube, since the screw is holding both sides.
Also the screw is wrenched without head to it really looks clean! Thanks Picofly for finding those from the buttom of his toolbox!

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	better way.png
Views:	531
Size:	725.5 KB
ID:	261243  
Old 10-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

By the way is anyone close to Gaui following this thread?
I would really like to know if anything is going to be done to:
- the main gear that was my n1 issue
- bigger belt because the belt is too small for the load, and wears out.
- the tail to fix the slip issue (1:idle + 2:better meshing) That one may be solved with the bigger belt..

I wonder If I should contact gaui, but I was hoping maybe to get some feedback from the reselers.

Did anyone contact his reseller and did anyone get feedback?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

...Here is Djeloms idle pulley in my Gaui X2. Nice job .
I have adjusted the belt looser than before but it is virtually impossible to make it slip over the tail output shaft. Now the belt will slip over the main pulley first but that requires lots of force.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2927.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	261423  

Last edited by Picofly; 10-21-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Picofly is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

i got both the front and rear pulley from HSC, they are a little pricey so i was hesitant, but it's definitely worth it. I flew today finally and had zero belt slips. The belt grips so good now i can spin the motor when i rotate the tail.

i actually forgot to tighten 2 screw that hold the bottom plate to the side frame and lost them. Heli still flew great, i was surprised.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes those are good stuffs! and you should also try the extra idle... It's really great, less belt tension, and no signs of belt wearing... I didn't change my belt since I installed it..
With the few test I made my tail was better with the idle alone than with the HSC gear alone. Plus it's a cheap mod if you can do it your self!

By the way did anyone ear anything about official ways to fix the tail?

I droped 1 email to GAUI a few weeks back but didn't get ANY answer... I just hope they would come up with a real solution..
Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

i like the idle pulley, did you shave down a screw and run a dye over it?

what size is the thread in the tail box? This seems like a pain to do without drill press.
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm thinking the money I save I belts will pay for the hsc pulley

I got them for both my 200,and 255.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
HSC
Registered Users

Hello boys !!!

Ges what ? yesterdy I hit 170 starts with one belt and still going strong, no sliping, no waging flys flavesly !!!!

This heli become to bee my favorite ( I have a lot of helis in my flote inclutig Henselite TDR ), it flyes sooooooo good. II got it 3 mounth and I hit 350 flights on it ( loged )

And I em pushing it real hard !!!

I ges the isue with the tail is solved

Regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in