Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Beam

Beam Beam Helicopters Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 6s vs 12s

hey beamers
for the time being both off my beams is with 6s setup, but i have desided to try 12s on one of
them. becourse i think its to hard for the lipos to fly 3d with 6s.
have a good sunday
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah I think you'll find you can get way more power on 12s AND it's easier on the packs and the ESC at the same time.

For the kind of flying I do I am able to get plenty of power even with very cheap 25 and 30C packs. Plus I can share them with my Trex 500.
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

As already mentioned. 12s is the way to go ;-)
RasmusDK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

after a few test flights with a spin99 esc on 12s i wasnt too happy, the soft start not so soft
and the guv not good so i went to the local hobbyshop to get a cc ice2 80hv and now after
testing yesterday i am happy
Old 04-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey beamers
after flying with both my beams the one with 12s and the other with 6s i have ordered
another motor so both helis is 12s, it was to hard for my lipos when flying 6s

happy flying
Old 04-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyflox View Post
hey beamers
after flying with both my beams the one with 12s and the other with 6s i have ordered
another motor so both helis is 12s, it was to hard for my lipos when flying 6s

happy flying
Yeah, I think you could successfully run a Beam on 6s if you used high C rated packs AND kept the headspeed on the conservative side. It's very light but the limiting factor is just a matter of the power it takes to spin 600mm blades at high speeds and pitch.

I also think the Beam would make a very good 550 on 6s.

But having said all that, I think the only reason to do so would be if you already have suitable 6s packs. In my case I like being able to share LiPos with my Trex 500 and other 12s 600s.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Beam :-)
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillian View Post
Yeah, I think you could successfully run a Beam on 6s if you used high C rated packs AND kept the headspeed on the conservative side. It's very light but the limiting factor is just a matter of the power it takes to spin 600mm blades at high speeds and pitch.

I also think the Beam would make a very good 550 on 6s.

But having said all that, I think the only reason to do so would be if you already have suitable 6s packs. In my case I like being able to share LiPos with my Trex 500 and other 12s 600s.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Beam :-)
i have 2 dinogy nanotech 5100mah 65c i paid 195 dollar each
and they look like baloons
and then i got 1 turnigy 5000mah nanotech 65c it looks fine
the rest is turnigy 5000mah nanotech 45c and they are also fine.
so now i can use the 5000mah for my trex700 and share the 3300mah
with my blade 500x and the beams.
and yes i enjoy the beams very much.
i not the richest person so on all my helis i use turnigy sk3 helidrive
and on the beams its a 4956-600 lots of power only 80 dollar
3rd the price to a sorpion 4025-630
well i think i wil go flying now
so see yy
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like to have helis for specific purpose and already have a Dune, which is a 600 and also like to share packs. I've got 5000s for my 700 helis and don't really want to invest in any more 3000s for the Beam, so I've decided to go 6s and 550 blades, then I can have a large single pack machine for practising new stuff. Though first I thought I'd see how it would fly 6s with 600 blades.

With a single 5000 pack and 6s motor it's 0.25Kg lighter than the 12S setup and I can get the CoG adjusted perfectly, which was always a bit nose heavy with two 3000s. I lowered the pitch to 10° and the head speed was only around 2000rpm, which easily gives five minutes run time. At 2100rpm and a bit harder flying, the Jive was sweating, but the motor and pack were just warm.

So, it's lost it's 12s 2300rpm 'pop', but I can live with that. I think it will be better with 550 blades, then I can get the head speed up and not stress the Jive as much. Also swapping to some Align 615/655 servos will save more weight. When you compare the size of the Beam to 550s from Align and Milkado, it's the same, so really it's a bit small for a 600.

I should have the 550 blades tomorrow, so I'll see how it performs. It flys really well with 600 blades and didn't bog as much as I'd thought, though the disc loading is a bit too light for me.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beam as a 550

I like the dual purpose blade holder!

Yeah in physical size, particularly the profile, the Beam is quite small for a 600. It is dwarfed by the Dune and my other 600s. Mine balances really well with 2600mah packs but doesn't seem to mind being a bit nose heavy when I fly it with 3300s now and then.

I know what you mean about wanting a heli to fit a particular niche in the grand scheme of things. I think now I'm kinda sentimental about the Beam because it just happens that the electrics I chose for it and the setup of the Total-G was all so spot-on from the beginning I just haven't wanted to change anything. So in a way it is somewhat superfluous with the Dune in the picture but I'd hate to lose it :-o Especially with several shiny canopies to choose from that were at bargain prices :-)

I need to fly it again soon to refresh my memory as I haven't flown it in a little while now.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The blade holder was almost the perfect width for CoG! I'm going to place another battery plate on short posts, attached to the existing battery plate. That would also give me space to tuck the Jive behind the battery, which will look neat.

I fully understand the sentimental feeling for the Beam. After the few initial teething problems it's been a great heli. It performs really well and even crashes well! So by giving it another purpose I will probably fly it more.

The trouble was that I've been spoilt with the Dune, which has to be one of the best performing helis out there. I was flying the Dune last week and without thinking, started to fly some manoeuvres which are still really sim only for me. I wish people would just see past the canopy or Kasama would design a new one... doesn't bother me though.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 550 blades arrived, so I had to try them!

I put the pitch back up to 13°, though only running around 2100rpm head speed. The ESC, motor and packs are now running just warm and it performs really well. I'll fly it more, but I definitely like it as a 550 :-)

The Spin 550 all white blades are nice too. I normally run Radix or Rails on everything, though the Spin blades were cheap.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Beam 550

Just thinking out loud - I could get a similar effect on 12s by fitting some 550s and using two really small packs, like maybe 2400 or 2450mah whatever it takes to get close to the weight of a single 5000mah pack. Up the headspeed a bit and Bob's yur uncle.

If I can fit the Beam in the bag alongside the Ballistic I'll take it out with me tomorrow. I have a feeling it's not gonna fit though.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd try smaller packs if I had them Trillian, though the the smallest I have are 3000s, but I've got more 5000s. The other problem is that as I fly harder, I'm only getting 4 mins out of 3000s, but with one 5000 I'm getting nearly 5 mins. That's with a Quantum 4120-1200.

Anyway, I discovered the Jive 80 is too small really for 6s. I over amped it twice on Saturday, but saved it. Then on Sunday on my last pack, went for a a very aggressive back flip into a half-piro, really low and it over amped, bogged and went in tail first.

I also decked one of my Faifa this week. Purely my own fault, flying in dim light, when too tired. My flying buddy also binned his Goblin on Saturday and Ben did the same with his Dune at Eagle. So it's not been the best of weeks for flying!

I'm going to try a Jive 100 LV in the Beam and see if that can handle the amps, if not it will have to be a Jive 120. I can't be bothered with anything other than a Kontronik any more!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about all those crashes :-( I guess for a really capable 6s setup you need a high amp LV esc. When I had a 6s Outrage 550 I was using a castle Ice 100 and I would see peaks of 120 amps even with pretty conservative flying.

I spent the weekend getting the Rave Ballistic up and running. Saturday's perfect weather was slightly wasted due to a major mistake in the FBL setup so the Rave was a not too fun to fly. I realised what I had done wrong and got it fixed and flew it today and it pretty much rocks now. But I'm really getting a 'too many helis' feeling :-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders248 View Post
I'd try smaller packs if I had them Trillian, though the the smallest I have are 3000s, but I've got more 5000s. The other problem is that as I fly harder, I'm only getting 4 mins out of 3000s, but with one 5000 I'm getting nearly 5 mins. That's with a Quantum 4120-1200.

Anyway, I discovered the Jive 80 is too small really for 6s. I over amped it twice on Saturday, but saved it. Then on Sunday on my last pack, went for a a very aggressive back flip into a half-piro, really low and it over amped, bogged and went in tail first.

I also decked one of my Faifa this week. Purely my own fault, flying in dim light, when too tired. My flying buddy also binned his Goblin on Saturday and Ben did the same with his Dune at Eagle. So it's not been the best of weeks for flying!

I'm going to try a Jive 100 LV in the Beam and see if that can handle the amps, if not it will have to be a Jive 120. I can't be bothered with anything other than a Kontronik any more!
Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was about to give-up on the single pack 550 size Beam and go back to running it as a 600. I smashed a brand new pair of Rails 556, which were flying very nicely, but the cheap 520mm RJX weren't great.

I could never get the gains high enough on the 3x, though after some careful tweaking, mainly reducing just the elevator gains, I've been able to get the overall gain much higher and so it's now flying rock solid :-)

The huge Scorpion 120a ESC has also been replaced with a YGE 90HV, which works really well and is really light. So while it was perfect weather this evening, I managed some schweet flights and no plans other than just to abuse it as my basher heli!

Old 09-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool! Good to see a little activity in this forum as well :-)

I haven't flown mine in a while since my initial three blade flights with the 510s. had a look at the 600mm blades where I had two pairs and the closest are some of the black and white TT carbons made by BBT. Although they were the closest in weight it still took a hell of a lot of tape to get the third blade to balance with the other two.

This exercise is just as a 'proof of concept', if it flies well then I'll see about getting NHP to make up a proper three blade set or try to get the JR 600s.

I have not yet tried it with this setup. I started thinking maybe I better switch back to the V2 one-way assembly as I had been flying it with the V1 unit until I realised what had happened to the V2 hub was that the bearing had become pushed out a bit on one end and I pushed it back flush with a big C-clamp.

So I'll see about putting that in this weekend and at least a hover test in the garden and then go from there.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know, bring the Beam back!! It't the heli I fly the most and the one that takes the most abuse. I was going to retire it and buy something with easy parts availability, but like you've I've still got brand new canopies and loads of spares. I bought a big chunk of what Amain had on sale, so I should be ok for a while :-)

I keep forgetting yours is now a three blade setup... what about the Spin blades that you can buy in sets of three? The only bad point of this heli is the auto bearing, I've been through loads.

Now I've got a TDR, I really need something from Minicopter to complete my dream heli list. I was tempted to go for the 550 Diabolo, but I think a Triabolo would be great. The three blade setup looks and performs amazing.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been flying my Beam 6s with 550 blades for a while now and it's always been slightly tail heavy, even with a 5000 pack spaced forwards. So I cut 65mm off the boom, used a Raptor 550 belt, custom tail rod and removed all the pack spacing. By moving the ESC and BEC around I've now got perfect CoG and a fantastic 550. These new Align blades feel really good too, 550mm main and 90mm tails, the same used on the 550 dominator. It's nice to have a 550 size machine that uses full size servos and compared to the dominator it feels just as light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in