Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Section

New Member Section If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default South Jersey new guy

Hello Heli Freaks!
4 years ago my wife got me a Syma coaxial heli as a stocking stuffer. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a joke but I thought it was really cool and have always been fascinated by helicopters. After a few weeks I bought a msrx and then a 120sr. I spent many hours trying to keep them in the air. Not knowing that this is normal and the training involved is very extensive I found frustration especially with the msrx. Due to life getting crazy I set the hobby aside after 6 months or so. Over the years I got them out for brief moments until recently. I stumbled across this website and others and started doing research on the hobby specifically the learning of orientation. Wow. A month later, and a 230s and a Ncps, I am totally hooked.
Thank you all for posting your experiences so that us new guys can learn.
I would really like to get hooked up with some clubs or even find out were other people are flying.
Dbchopper78 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Welcome to HF!

I assume you've found Archmage's tutorials and have a sim. AMA has a clubfinder site that allows you to search by zipcode.
AMA Club Search
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't have a PC to run a simulator on. I can use one at work but was scared the graphics card won't run it. I have been meaning to look into it. Thanks for the link to AMA
Old 01-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Heli-X demo is free, so no risk there. I run it on a 2-year old i7 with no discrete graphics, as well as a much older machine with a GTX480 (2010 era) GPU. Frame rates are fine on both.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I checked out the heli-x demo today, my pc seemed to run the demo version ok. I need to buy a cord to connect my dx6e. Question, is this fight sim good enough to learn on? I've heard that Phoenix pro flight was the most accurate.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Everyone has their favorite sim for specific reasons, and all of them have pros and cons. So when someone says, "X is the best" you should translate that as "I have X and I like it." Any of them will work quite well for learning to fly. I have both Heli-X and Phoenix, and I prefer Heli-X. RealFlight 7.5 is also extremely popular. AccuRC is better for an experienced pilot who really wants to tweak the models, as opposed to someone who is just starting out.

The free demo version of Heli-X is a great value, and the hover training module is awesome. It's also less expensive if you decide to upgrade to the full version, but it doesn't include planes if that's important to you.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for your info!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default They call me Jersey!!

Hello just wanted to say hey . I'm pretty new here too loving the site tons of info great people. I'm from Kansas now but was born and raised south jersey. Moved in 95'
Jerseydevil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

welcome to HF new guys. if you need any help, just post and someone will be here to help you.

Happy landings
Old 01-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi there.

If you have a DX6e and not a DXe then you are all set! Actually it would be better to go wireless. It is more expensive but well worth it. Or you can use the trainer port with a cable, works just fine if you don't want to spend that much. The cables you can find on my specialized web retailer or on Amazon.

Here's a bit something where I talk about some tips and tricks for newbies as well as training program and wireless simming.

Hope you like it.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=720316

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbchopper78 View Post
I checked out the heli-x demo today, my pc seemed to run the demo version ok. I need to buy a cord to connect my dx6e. Question, is this fight sim good enough to learn on? I've heard that Phoenix pro flight was the most accurate.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you. I have purchased the full version of heli-x and have my old dx6i hooked up to it. The link you shared was awesome. I have been doing less flying and more research this last month. This website has been invaluable.
I currently have blue painters tape marked out in my living room and practicing orientation everyday. I dismissed archmages post on training thinking I wasn't ready for it. I'll check it out tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in