Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default newbie Looking to get a new 450 size heli (mini protos)

Hello

I've only been in to helis for around a year now started of with mcpx then 130x and now a 300x which has cost me loads on upgrades to work mainly down to poor esc/motors/.servos from eflite.

So with all the hassle i have had i'm done with wasting hard earned money on blades rubbish.

So this brings me here been looking at a trex 450 as there is a good following of shops who stock the kits/spares in the uk. But after looking more in to the 450 class i hear only good things on here about the mini protos heli. I would be going flybarless with a ar7200bx

is there anything that needs upgrading on the heli to fly or is it just great of the box.

Also there is a couple of options as bare bones kit or combo kit
has MSH changed from SAB main blades to there own MSH brand in the combo kit as thay look like rebranded Align ones.

Not sure to get the bare bones kit and spec it myself. Anyone used a scorpion 60amp esc on the protos 3s setup.

Any pref on main blades i run edge on the 300x and thay seem good only ff flight no 3d one day maybes lol

any info to help me make the right choice would be a big help

Thanks Gary
Gar turbo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Combo kit is the best value, as it comes with a Scorpion motor and YGE ESC, aswell as blades. You'll spend far more piecing it together yourself.

No upgrades required. Fantastic machine box stock.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Great machine
MiataJohn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: newbie Looking to get a new 450 size heli (mini protos)

Bought a combo kit with everything but servos. Loved it. Thought I wanted something different. Traded it like an idiot. Now looking to buy another. Combo kits are good set up. Easy to build and set up and fly very well. If a mini is in the cards for you, I would not hesitate to go for it. Get good servos and batteries and enjoy. They are fairly maintence free and the sound a protos makes or doesn't depending on your perspective is awesome.
Enjoy
Matt

sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your input. I'm almost sure its what i'm going to buy.
started looking at the 500 class as there a bit bigger but not to sure if it will be two big and not get used as much as what the 450 size would also 6s lipo's cost quite alot more than
3s and blades. I have some futaba s9650 servos which would fit the 500 but arrr. what does the 450 fly like as to the 500 is there much difference

i have some savox sh0257mg anyone used them on there protos 450
i would have to buy a tail servo was looking at

1. savox sh0262 mg micro size

2. savox sh1257 mg micro size

3. savox sh1357 mini size

I here only good things about these protos thats what i like

Gary
Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have flown three different tail servos on the Mini Protos:

Futaba 9257
JR 3500G
MKS DS95i

By FAR (and I mean FAR) the best of the three is the MKS DS95i. Fantastic tail servo. Expensive too.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

They fly great out of box! If you wanna play around with it you can always stretch it down the road. Stretched mine and went to 6s, it's a beast!
My preference is sab blades but I also run the Lynx.
Love savox servos but on tail I run the MKS ds95i , can't be beat.
Combo kit great deal unless you go 6s.
crickr1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickr1 View Post
Combo kit great deal unless you go 6s.
Even going 6S, getting the speedy covers the price difference of the kits anyway.
I just sold a YGE60(unused) that came in a kit for $100.

Theres a good deal on the DS95's atm too
http://www.mksservosusa.com/product....&cat=23&page=1

They are prolly overkill, but they are best, they are all I have used on my mini's
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar turbo View Post
Thanks guys for all your input. I'm almost sure its what i'm going to buy.
started looking at the 500 class as there a bit bigger but not to sure if it will be two big and not get used as much as what the 450 size would also 6s lipo's cost quite alot more than
3s and blades. I have some futaba s9650 servos which would fit the 500 but arrr. what does the 450 fly like as to the 500 is there much difference

i have some savox sh0257mg anyone used them on there protos 450
i would have to buy a tail servo was looking at

1. savox sh0262 mg micro size

2. savox sh1257 mg micro size

3. savox sh1357 mini size

I here only good things about these protos thats what i like

Gary
I use Savox 0257 on mine - very happy with them
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm using tgy306shv's on the cyclics and kst515mg on the tail and they are doing great. I have a tgy306shv on the tail of a 450 tarot and like it a lot as well. I may switch the kst515mg to a tgy306shv to save a little weight. With a buddy code, the tgy306shv's go as low as $18 each through hobby king and they have them in the us warehouse.

The only thing with the tgy's is make sure you open them up and put something over like electrical tape over the back of the circuit board. There have been reports of this part shorting out when touching the aluminum case. 2 minutes and a small piece of tape and that issue is resolved. $72 for the set vs $292 for mks sounds great too.

I went with the combo kit and immediately went 6s. The combo kit is still a great deal with the esc that it comes with even going 6s. If you are going to stretch it, it will be a wash if you want to run the same esc. If you want to run a cheaper esc, 6s, and stretched, get the bare bones kit. I want to try the warp scorpion 1360kv motor and my understanding is the cheaper esc that I was going to use wouldn't run that motor so I went with the combo kit with the better esc.
kpod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers guys

It looks like the protos is at the top of my list at the moment due to the comments i'm getting on here of it being well built a good flyer and not much trouble.

I was staring to look at a used a trex 500 pro for the club field but now i'm more for the mini protos as parts are a lot cheaper and lipos too. And i think due to the smaller size it will be used more.

Just waiting for stock of the kits in the uk not be long now

Gary
Old 05-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gary

I'm thinking of picking up a mini-P here in the UK.
Do you have word when they might be back on the shelves?

I'm wondering which cyclic servos to go with out of the Savox 257 or the TGY306.
Both similar price. The TGY look to be better performers but weigh more (an extra 18g for all 3).

Not sure if I'd be able to feel the difference in performance? and would have the weight penalty
stevebaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaker View Post
Gary

I'm thinking of picking up a mini-P here in the UK.
Do you have word when they might be back on the shelves?

I'm wondering which cyclic servos to go with out of the Savox 257 or the TGY306.
Both similar price. The TGY look to be better performers but weigh more (an extra 18g for all 3).

Not sure if I'd be able to feel the difference in performance? and would have the weight penalty
I use the Savox 0257 on mine and I'm very happy with them - though I can only fly sport- no 3D. As well as good performance I really like the fact that you can easily get spare gears and cases for them
Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, I'm leaning towards the Savox at the moment. They will also be less power hungry - not sure how well the YGE 3A BEC will handle the TGY servos?

I'm only flying light 3D so I'm sure the Savox will suit fine.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yep, I'm leaning towards the Savox at the moment. They will also be less power hungry - not sure how well the YGE 3A BEC will handle the TGY servos?

I'm only flying light 3D so I'm sure the Savox will suit fine.

Hi Steve

I will be going (savox 0257 x3) and a (savox SH1357 on the tail) with a cc 10amp bec

i run the 0257 servos on my 300x and i like them and there not a bad price.

Was told around two weeks from today for mini protos stock in the uk thats for the combo kits.

Gary
Old 05-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, great. Just in time for my 40th birthday then

I didn't realise I needed a BEC with the Savox. I'm thinking Savox on cyclic and a DS95i on the tail.
I'll have to read through the setups thread to see who else is using the ESC without an external BEC.

Seems like a very good heli. Having scanned through this forum, there are hardly any reported issues.

EDIT:
Just did a quick scan through this forum and the consensus says the YGE BEC will be OK (even when running MKS 95s all round). I'm gonna start with that, do some bench testing and see how I get on.

Last edited by stevebaker; 05-18-2013 at 02:33 AM..
Old 05-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I didn't realise I needed a BEC with the Savox. I'm thinking Savox on cyclic and a DS95i on the tail.
I'll have to read through the setups thread to see who else is using the ESC without an external BEC.

Seems like a very good heli. Having scanned through this forum, there are hardly any reported issues.

EDIT:
Just did a quick scan through this forum and the consensus says the YGE BEC will be OK (even when running MKS 95s all round). I'm gonna start with that, do some bench testing and see how I get on.
I have the 257s on my Mini Protos using a CC50 and the 257s on a 450 Pro using a CC45 - no external BEC on either, both FBL
Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

EDIT:
Hi steve

Running a external bec is better as if your esc was to fail you would lose all control to your servos where running a external bec would still give you control to servos to maybe save the bird.

Plus i run the AR7200BX and have had brown outs due to power supply dips in the past so its just a safety net.If the YEG is ok i will have a look but would feel safer running one

Gary
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've started buying all the items for my mini-P

I've ordered a ZYX-S to put in my 300X and I'll be moving the BX into the mini-P

I've ordered the TGY 306 to try on the tail. It's only cheap so thought I'd give it a go.

Going to buy the mini-P combo and fly it 3S unstretched to start with - shame they don't offer a 6S combo :-(

Going to order Savox 257 for the cyclics. Will also be fitting a Spektrum telemetry module and an Eagle Tree RPM sensor.

I would appreciate any opinions on the battery choice. I already have some old 3S 2200 25C nanos, but I don't think they'll really be up to the task.

Some options I'm looking at are:

Turnigy nano-tech 2700mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Pack @ 252g

Turnigy nano-tech 2650mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pack @ 220g

Turnigy nano-tech 2250mah 3S 65~130C Lipo Pack @ 207g

Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack @ 201g

Any thoughts on which of the above would be most suited (weight, CoG and power wise)?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just assembled my miniP with YEP below the mainshaft and that same tailservo.

Dont get a lipo that is too light. 200g will be minimum. I just tested it. The lipo is all the way forward and still a tad tail heavy. With a stretch kit will be more tail heavy.

I have a 3s3700 (yes, correct!) at 270g, that if placed all the way backward makes it just a tad nose heavy.

I will finish setting up my heli in the next days and start flying different types of packs to decide what i am going to order more of.

I need to know how much flight time is gained with the big pack, and how much i would appreciate a super light heli compared to a longer flight with more mass (=easier in the wind for sure)
sp00fman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in