Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Warp 360

Warp 360 Compass Warp 360 Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Prototype Warp 360 Scorpion motor

Well guys. Scorpion motorworks has done it for us! I am excited to report they just contacted me and are sending out one of their newly designed prototype motors to test. This is designed specifically only for the Warp 360! I was up answering pms late just after midnight and got an email from Scorpion that they had a prototype motor waiting to ship out. From what I understand these are the specs. HK-2520-1360Kv.

And what is really odd is that I was just thinking about this, this very afternoon and had planned on contacting them today.

They only have a couple of these so I am not sure at this time who the other recipient or recipients might be. I do know one thing for sure. If it is anything like the other customs they have built for me and other HF members here in the past this motor will be a precision made well thought out motor. And once they know it will work for our needs it wont be long before it is approved for production.

Other than the 1360KV specs and 2520 can size, plus the 12n10p or 12 stator 10 mag. The rest of the specs aren't released yet. It should be here no later than early next week, so it looks like I better get busy and put my Warp together at least in stock 360mm bladed form for a few flight tests.

I did put in a request (for those of us who might want to run a smaller pinion tooth count) for a custom 3.17mm output shaft to be produced along with the standard 4mm. This way we can use a new 12,13,14,or 15t pinion that Helihaven unearthed that will drop the gear ratio down even farther for those of us who might need this. But I know for certain they haven't produced them yet. This motor will only be offered at first in the correct 4mm output shaft size for our 18T pinions.

I just want to publicly say thank you to Scorpion for the effort and time they put into helping us out here! I know beyond any shadow of a doubt what a huge project this is to design a new ground up motor. Just the formulas alone that dictate the parameters of the design work are staggering. For those that have ever wound motors it goes far beyond wrapping wire around stators and soldering on a few bullet connectors. Sometimes even if the math is right. It can take several tries to get right. Don't ask me how I know.

All this, for our little Warps!
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nice.

chances are i will buy one!!!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk2...otherwise i would of sent it from my home PC.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow, great news Luvmy. Hope it goes well.
I'll probably buy one too.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is good news Lumvy!
Thanks Scorpion and a big thanks to all that have been in the process, maybe i'll get one too, depending on the reviews.
My compass motor has 70 flights in it, and nothing important to complain
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

it's sounds to me u haven't flown the original compass motor yet, right?

btw: its the purpose of companies to make products and sell them...

BLHeli with locator beacon now!
honkytown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was wondering how long before this would surface, I received a phone call last night from a source telling me about this .... looking forward to checking it out.

I was told it will come with the 4mm output shaft.
Jeff_Barrett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm one of the other recipients... got the email last night too and motor is shipped.
Cant wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis
I just want to publicly say thank you to Scorpion for the effort and time they put into helping us out here! I know beyond any shadow of a doubt what a huge project this is to design a new ground up motor. Just the formulas alone that dictate the parameters of the design work are staggering. For those that have ever wound motors it goes far beyond wrapping wire around stators and soldering on a few bullet connectors. Sometimes even if the math is right. It can take several tries to get right. Don't ask me how I know
Right on man, I second that... kudos to Scorpion power systems.

@honkytown
Given the problems most are having with that thing, I'm not too worried that I personally have not. I've seen their other motors in person and was not crazy about them, that's why I personally went with the airframe kit instead of the one which comes with the motor.

Not trying to knock them or anything, I just didn’t like them. Just my preference.

@Jeff
We have been talking about this in another thread for a while now. Scorpion is actually right on the money with the time frame they gave us.
BaconRaygun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
@Jeff
We have been talking about this in another thread for a while now. Scorpion is actually right on the money with the time frame they gave us.
Yes, I know. I was following it ... but this is different than the specs you intially suggested it would be (2221 can).
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default How much does it weigh?

Hope it's not much heavier than the stock 101g motor!Since we can get 12t pulleys the need for the low kv motor has disapeared.I'm going to run my Ntm 1700kv motor .
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now put the engine Scorpion HK2221-2010KV V2 6S
Pinion 3,17 18T
alexfly1980 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

What would that come out to ?5000/6000 hs?Smoking!!
Steve
Stevemech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
Yes, I know. I was following it ... but this is different than the specs you intially suggested it would be (2221 can).
Well sort of... later in the thread me and luvmyhelis posted that it would be a new development based on the 25xx series stator. Not important though, I'm just happy this is moving forward!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad to hear there's motor options on the way. Isn't the stock pulley 16T?
ScotY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRaygun View Post
Well sort of... later in the thread me and luvmyhelis posted that it would be a new development based on the 25xx series stator. Not important though, I'm just happy this is moving forward!
I for one will be watching very closely and am excited to see an alternative power plant for this model ...

Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Right on my friend, me too! Options are always nice... that's why I pushed for this in the first place.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfly1980 View Post
Now put the engine Scorpion HK2221-2010KV V2 6S
Pinion 3,17 18T
Meh, this thing is gonna blow the 2221 out of the water.

Po Ruskey?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Yeah, sorry, fubar there on my part. I was also building a Goblin late last night and messed up here.

And Jeff, the actual output shaft in this motor will def be 4mm.

My earlier results with another one of their 2200 canned motors using a 12 stator 10mag config resulted with a motor turning out 40% more torque than its 9 stator 6mag cousin. At half the amps. Either way this motor will be a true torque beast. And I agree, there is no way even the 2221-2010 with a 12t would compete with its raw power. But that motor will also be sufficient, sadly it needs its lower 1630kv cousin to hit the right ratio's using the Warps gears and even the 12t unless you want blasting head speeds?
My only true concern at this moment is heat generation inside the new motor. I wont know until I know!

We can certainly argue about the efficiency between the two. But this isn't about that. Just good performance.

And no, I purposely didn't try the compass motor yet. Knowing Scorp was going to produce this, I didn't want to spend the extra money on the stocker when hundreds are already flying it and can comment. Plus, I kind of overspent on the Warp with hundreds more in ceramics and a horde of new parts. As I build what I think will be the ultimate Warp, and stretch it also along the way.

Soko is also sending me one of his kits to setup the head with on the Warp. Gonna be busy....

Keep me posted BaconRaygun ( I was hoping you would get one also!). We can compare notes here. Also, since you are a Boca man, any plans there in stuffing these into your own Warp?

I had actually laid out a new 2200 can and was getting ready to custom wind it down to roughly 1530kv . Now, I think I will let that project rest.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Randy ... as always, I'm excited to see another of your original creations.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Barrett View Post
Randy ... as always, I'm excited to see another of your original creations.
Thanks Jeff, just glad to be in the mix with all the other talented folk here.

I do want to make one point. I emailed Jeff about this earlier. Due to how new the Warp is. And some of the teething issues it has had. Most guys reading the early on threads here might think this heli is problematic beyond salvaging. We sometimes forget that out of 600 guys flying this? Or so? the ones posting are almost always the ones with issues they are needing help with or complaining about. So in almost every product thread I read through unless it it a time honored product. I take this into consideration. Since the bulk of the threads will be about problems that they are encountering. The Love it threads go mostly unnoticed. Plus, guys or builders like me are always pushing perfection in each and every part. So hopefully I don't come off too poorly here.....
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Yes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in