Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
That would be:
http://helidirect.com/align-carbon-f...50-p-10529.hdx

It's been a good boom, went through my last crash without fail. The struts were pulled out and the aluminum end fittings of the struts were bent so it went through some stress. You can break them though, just like bending the aluminum boom. The carbon boom is a hair lighter than the aluminum boom but I wouldn't change it for weight, I did it only because I like the looks and carbon fiber is a little quieter in transmitting vibration than solid metal.
Carbon fiber really hides failure very well so if you do crash any carbon piece look at it very carefully, you may see a hidden crack.

Viking
Thanks dude! I will look into that.
kickbackkid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Lasakro,
Any question worth asking is worth knowing the answer to.
The Align 250 carbon fiber tail boom has a wall thickness of .32mm by my measurement. Should be very close with that.
Wow and I thought the .5mm one I had folded easily on a crash. Running now with 1mm wall should hold up like a brick house.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro View Post
Wow and I thought the .5mm one I had folded easily on a crash. Running now with 1mm wall should hold up like a brick house.
Yup, I believe ,3 to .5mm is pretty much standard wall thickness for tail booms up to 450 size, after that I don't know what they run.
What about the support bearing for the TT shaft, will it fit the interior dimension of that tube or are you planning to run without?

Viking
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yup, I believe ,3 to .5mm is pretty much standard wall thickness for tail booms up to 450 size, after that I don't know what they run.
What about the support bearing for the TT shaft, will it fit the interior dimension of that tube or are you planning to run without?

Viking
I use the bearing w/o the rubber holder. Wrap it in a little tape until it's snug. On larger birds heat shrink does the job.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I use the bearing w/o the rubber holder. Wrap it in a little tape until it's snug. On larger birds heat shrink does the job.
Very cool.
If you have the most terrible crash you've ever had...the only thing recognizable will be that tail boom.
Super up grade.
Any problem with CG?

Viking
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Any problem with CG?
No change in CG.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

lasakro, I did the same pin-hole mod as you did few days ago, and I used gorilla glue to secure everything together. The result was pretty good, I thought it would be indestructible. Put it in the heli, tried it in my hand without the main blades, guess what, the two front gears stripped. These gears have been though a crash so I thought they might have been weakened in some way, so I changed them all two brand new black gears last night, and flied it this morning. The first flight this morning was superb, i felt like this mod worth all my broken drill bits, and then on the second flight, after some piro flips and tic tocs, the TT snapped in the air.

I don't know what I'm gonna do next, I've kinda lost my faith in this thing. This is what happens when bad design meets poor engineering, or maybe they just didn't put enough effort in to this. I've had enough of this and probably I'm gonna give it up for good.

If you are going to test it, stay away from it.
beer2morrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 250 Pro DFC, Torque Tube Front Drive Gear (H25131) gets loose!!

I changed mine over to belt. The TT works great in the 450 & up but this should stay belt. I also changed to the old slider too. It's smooth & my timer is set for 4min & I put in around 550 mAh back in on a TP 850 mAh 45C & 65C.
Don't have to worry about the tail spinning to the right because of those gears. I love the frame layout. I had the V1 of this guy. I hated the frame. Sometimes you have to leave it a lone.
Also my tail blades never touched the ground. It was front TT gear that would fail. 3 of them.
ferebeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have a beer2today and re group, this is an addiction, dont give up.

I have not tryed the pin mod yet, but tempted on next failure, the glue did fail, i reglued a new one but i backed off a little on tork tube as suggested by (viking). been holding since, have appox. 30 flights. these guys put up some great advise.

Keep the faith.
volar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by volar View Post
Have a beer2today and re group, this is an addiction, dont give up.

I have not tryed the pin mod yet, but tempted on next failure, the glue did fail, i reglued a new one but i backed off a little on tork tube as suggested by (viking). been holding since, have appox. 30 flights. these guys put up some great advise.

Keep the faith.
I'm not saying that I was gonna give up this hobby stuff, but I'm just tired of part failures on this align 250. Clearly all the align engineers were drunk or drugged when they were working on this 250 back then. After I've fix the front drive gear shaft, the gears themselves would strip, and then I've fix the gears up, the TT snapped. There are litterally endless parts failures to encounter.

I think I'm gonna sell this thing and then get a goblin 500.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferebeed View Post
I changed mine over to belt. The TT works great in the 450 & up but this should stay belt. I also changed to the old slider too. It's smooth & my timer is set for 4min & I put in around 550 mAh back in on a TP 850 mAh 45C & 65C.
Don't have to worry about the tail spinning to the right because of those gears. I love the frame layout. I had the V1 of this guy. I hated the frame. Sometimes you have to leave it a lone.
Also my tail blades never touched the ground. It was front TT gear that would fail. 3 of them.
Could you tell us a bit more about the belt set up? Like what parts need to be changed or modified?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer2morrow View Post
lasakro, I did the same pin-hole mod as you did few days ago, and I used gorilla glue to secure everything together. The result was pretty good, I thought it would be indestructible. Put it in the heli, tried it in my hand without the main blades, guess what, the two front gears stripped. These gears have been though a crash so I thought they might have been weakened in some way, so I changed them all two brand new black gears last night, and flied it this morning. The first flight this morning was superb, i felt like this mod worth all my broken drill bits, and then on the second flight, after some piro flips and tic tocs, the TT snapped in the air.

I don't know what I'm gonna do next, I've kinda lost my faith in this thing. This is what happens when bad design meets poor engineering, or maybe they just didn't put enough effort in to this. I've had enough of this and probably I'm gonna give it up for good.

If you are going to test it, stay away from it.
Hey buddy, I've been in the same boat with the 250 as you. When I first got it, it flew amazing compared to my 130X.

Then trouble started developing. The Align tail servo wouldn't hold. Replaced it with a KST. Things seemed fine.

Had a few minor crashes then things started going bad. I was treating it like my 130X. You need to take the time to rebuild your 250 completely. All vibrations must be gone. I tore mine completely down and replaced my main bearings and the tail grip bearings, as well as the bearings around the tail shaft. Replaced both tail drive gears for the TT.

Now this thing is flying so amazing right now. I am doing inverted nose down funnels both CW and CCW and the tail holds perfect.

These things are what I have learned about the 250 and will keep you flying. Be sure to check these every flying day:

*Motor pinion- make sure it is not slipping and is lined up perfectly with the main gear. Can cause vibrations if not aligned.

*Main gear- make sure it is just barely tight. There should be no up/down play on the main shaft. Use red loctite...don't want it backing out.

*Tail drive gears- replace every crash, hard landing, or tail tap. The black gears are prone to stripping off the shaft and causing no tail authority. Look for the plastic peeling off the top of the spindle like an apple peel. Dead sign that you need a new gear.

*No binding in the tail slider- the tail should be super smooth. Check with the tail control rod off the ball link. Majority of the time you get loctite in the brass bushings causing binding.

*TT- make sure it is dead straight. These can be very easy to bend. Roll it on a solid surface to make sure it is straight.

If you can follow these items, the little guy should hold up well for you. If you get any vibrations at these head speeds, bad things will happen. Any vibrations can lead to screws backing out, or the tail boom snapping in half during flight like I can attest to. I would get so frustrated because I wanted something dependable like my 500 and 600.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
kickbackkid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferebeed View Post
I changed mine over to belt. The TT works great in the 450 & up but this should stay belt. I also changed to the old slider too.
Quote:
Could you tell us a bit more about the belt set up? Like what parts need to be changed or modified?
I'm seriously thinking about giving the belt a shot for about $51. Align parts needed are with ~ ebay prices:

Tail Mount Gear Set H25063- $9
Metal Tail Belt Unit H25026- $23
Metal Tail Drive Gear H25079A- $9
Boom Mount- H25020- $5.40
Belt- H25028- $4.50

I think that should be it.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about giving the belt a shot for about $51. Align parts needed are with ~ ebay prices:

Tail Mount Gear Set H25063- $9
Metal Tail Belt Unit H25026- $23
Metal Tail Drive Gear H25079A- $9
Boom Mount- H25020- $5.40
Belt- H25028- $4.50

I think that should be it.
Have a look at H25026B, do you think it's the same casing as the dfc pro? If so, we might just get the H25075 and put it into the tail case comes with the dfc pro kit, will it fit?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickbackkid View Post
Hey buddy, I've been in the same boat with the 250 as you. When I first got it, it flew amazing compared to my 130X.

Then trouble started developing. The Align tail servo wouldn't hold. Replaced it with a KST. Things seemed fine.

Had a few minor crashes then things started going bad. I was treating it like my 130X. You need to take the time to rebuild your 250 completely. All vibrations must be gone. I tore mine completely down and replaced my main bearings and the tail grip bearings, as well as the bearings around the tail shaft. Replaced both tail drive gears for the TT.

Now this thing is flying so amazing right now. I am doing inverted nose down funnels both CW and CCW and the tail holds perfect.

These things are what I have learned about the 250 and will keep you flying. Be sure to check these every flying day:

*Motor pinion- make sure it is not slipping and is lined up perfectly with the main gear. Can cause vibrations if not aligned.

*Main gear- make sure it is just barely tight. There should be no up/down play on the main shaft. Use red loctite...don't want it backing out.

*Tail drive gears- replace every crash, hard landing, or tail tap. The black gears are prone to stripping off the shaft and causing no tail authority. Look for the plastic peeling off the top of the spindle like an apple peel. Dead sign that you need a new gear.

*No binding in the tail slider- the tail should be super smooth. Check with the tail control rod off the ball link. Majority of the time you get loctite in the brass bushings causing binding.

*TT- make sure it is dead straight. These can be very easy to bend. Roll it on a solid surface to make sure it is straight.

If you can follow these items, the little guy should hold up well for you. If you get any vibrations at these head speeds, bad things will happen. Any vibrations can lead to screws backing out, or the tail boom snapping in half during flight like I can attest to. I would get so frustrated because I wanted something dependable like my 500 and 600.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
True, this thing is neither a scaled up mcpx nor a scaled down 600, it does need to be taken good care of. I made a carbon fiber push rod, using a mks ds95i instead of that stupid ds425m, running carbon fiber tail blades, scorpion motor, scorpion esc, and I was 100% sure that the tail was smooth like there was no friction, and the torque tube was dead straight and then I put up 4 brand new black tail drive gears with my pin-hole mod, I thought it was time to rock and roll, finally the torque tube snapped. You know, that's why I feel so screwed up. It was funny though as somehow I felt it was gonna happen.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

lasakro, I've just found this http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/tre...ft-p-9625.html
carbon fiber torque tube, what do you think?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

You guys that break TT shafts, I have yet to break one and saying that will probably have a failure today but what RPM do you fly at, 100% flat line or something less?
Also do you install the TT shaft support bearing in the correct spot in the boom, I know changes in it's position will change the natural vibration frequency of the turning shaft making it vibrate more or less depending on position.
Where are the TT shafts failing, at the end fittings or somewhere down the shaft.
Also do you pull the boom out slightly from the fully seated position as was discussed earlier.
Just trying to wrap my mind around these failures.
I like the carbon TT shaft idea but have questions of how straight they will be, seems the carbon tube manufactures sometimes create slightly bowed shafts, but in this case, being used as a high speed shaft they are probably dead on.

Viking
Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Good gawds. After reading all this, I'm glad I'm belted and didn't convert it to TT like I intended to.
Compusmurf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Have a look at H25026B, do you think it's the same casing as the dfc pro? If so, we might just get the H25075 and put it into the tail case comes with the dfc pro kit, will it fit?
I think removing the bearing from the TT tail unit will not be as large as the opening of the belt tail unit. The rear side of the TT unit has bearing holder which you don't see in the belt unit photo. I asked the question over on RCG CopterX250 tread just to double check.

Quote:
lasakro, I've just found this http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/tre...ft-p-9625.html
carbon fiber torque tube, what do you think?
I can't tell from looking at the photo. I was looking for this 2 weeks ago and couldn't find one. Now it's to late, I'm not spending any more on TT parts for my 250.

Quote:
Also do you install the TT shaft support bearing in the correct spot in the boom, I know changes in it's position will change the natural vibration frequency of the turning shaft making it vibrate more or less depending on position.
With my electronics now at A+ I give my vibration an F. I've changed everything from the frame back. TT, Boom, TT tail unit, hub, grips and rotor shaft. New 42 mm tail blades weigh the same. Tried them snug and left them loose. Tried the 130X tape trick. TT bearing is perfectly centered in the boom. No axial play in the main shaft. Backed the boom out a couple of mm's that helped a little. Then Kickbackkid posted. Everything he stated was dead nuts correct except my main gear mesh was off. Put my new Scorpion 15T with set screw. It was a little better but still not right and wasted the rear white gears after giving it some rudder on the bench.

So I'm off replacing those gears now. The tail shaft does have about 2 mm of play in the end of it. The other TT tail unit does also. I'll putz around for this a little longer but the belt parts will be here next week. Giving up on the TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
Good gawds. After reading all this, I'm glad I'm belted and didn't convert it to TT like I intended to.
+1
Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

With my electronics now at A+ I give my vibration an F. I've changed everything from the frame back. TT, Boom, TT tail unit, hub, grips and rotor shaft. New 42 mm tail blades weigh the same. Tried them snug and left them loose. Tried the 130X tape trick. TT bearing is perfectly centered in the boom. No axial play in the main shaft. Backed the boom out a couple of mm's that helped a little. Then Kickbackkid posted. Everything he stated was dead nuts correct except my main gear mesh was off. Put my new Scorpion 15T with set screw. It was a little better but still not right and wasted the rear white gears after giving it some rudder on the bench.

As far as your TT shaft support bearing being perfectly centered in the boom, it should be 10-15mm forward of center to be positioned correctly. This is again to prevent harmonics from setting up in the TT shaft that could cause vibrations.
Not to say that in your case, this is the cause of your issues.
I think the belt will be a good change, I may drift that direction one day myself just to try something different on the 250.

Viking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in