Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The Protos has been reviewed by RC Heli magazine in their November 2008 issue.
kitsched is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 04:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
The only reason I'm considering the Trex 500 is because I'm friends with the LHS owner and he is going to give me a deal on the 500. That's how I got a deal on the 600ESP I have. Also I have to factor in who has local parts for either heli.
If you got the funds, build out the 600ESP. It's great for beginners because of the stability in the wind. You can go 6S to start (hobby city has cheap 6S 5000 batteries). But if you want to plan ahead for later when you want more power go at least 8S. I wouldn't feel bad about going straight from a 450 to a 600 at all. It's what I did, and the 600 size is still the best size all around. Just get ready to get used to the sound/size when you spool it up.

If you're definitely going to get a 500 size heli, the Protos has a large weight advantage over the Trex500 that's especially useful if you get into 3D later.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default 400, 450, 500 & 600 size heli's

This has been one of my biggest decisions I've been trying to make.....what size to learn on. I had a B400 but was tired of tweaking on it and not flying. Sold it and now I'm just flying the heck out of my CP-Pro2. I have the 600 but waiting until I get skills are better before building it. I'm really not comfortable flying yet to build the 600 and risk crashing it. Could I run two 3s 2200 mAh 25C packs in series in my 600 for just hovering and doing circuits? I would rather get a 500 that would cost less to repair if I crash and more stable than a 450. More and more as I type and talk about all of this the Protos is looking to be my next heli. Just have verify local parts support or if it's going to be internet only parts support.
RC_Feen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Could I run two 3s 2200 mAh 25C packs in series in my 600 for just hovering and doing circuits?
No way you would ruin those packs. Two 3S 2200's is perfect for the 500 class though.

The larger the heli the easier it will be to fly, however you have to offset that with crash part costs. For example a 700 is very stable in a hover and FFF, however you won't see many people purchasing one as their first heli.

Main blades, tail blades, feathering shaft, and main shafts are what you'll be replacing the most when your starting out.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't have LHS support for the Protos (which is likely the case), it's really not that big of a deal. You have more then 1 heli so you can fly something when it's down. And parts arrive in 2-3 days. I stocked up on common parts at a 20% discount, so I can quickly repair common crashes. PM me for the source.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh and personally, I'd sell off the 600 kit while it's new. Eventually when your in the market for one something better will be out. We all like the latest, and sitting on a kit and getting nothing out of it is a waste.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb

I've been thinking of just selling the 600ESP while it's still new since I'm not ready for it. I purchased it at my LHS so maybe he'll take it back since it's still new. Not too sure but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm going to look into that when I get back into town.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsched View Post
The Protos has been reviewed by RC Heli magazine in their November 2008 issue.
Great...I have that issue of RC Heli and will be reviewing it. Right now I have two hobby shops in the area where I'm going to be moving to in the Manassas Va area and only one carries MSH Protos parts. Thing is that the LSH in the town I'm in now in Richmond is going to give me a deal on the Trex 500ESP..... but I'm still haven't decided if I'm going to go with the Trex 500 or ProTos but leaning towards the Protos. I'm really liking the MSH Protos though. Going to another LHS here in the Manassas area (Hobby Hanger) and check out the Protos. That shop is like a candy store for the R/C whatever guy. I was in there a few weeks ago and I could have spent a lot more time in there than I did. I was able to buy all the extra parts for my Trex 250 that I needed in one stop. To me going into a Hobby shop and pick up all the parts on your list is awesome! You can't ask for a better thing ....other than that the staff was very helpful and friendly....Big plus!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've read that article. Note that MSH has re-designed many parts since that article was written and the heli is much tougher now. And if you go with the CF edition the frame is extremely tough.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
I've read that article. Note that MSH has re-designed many parts since that article was written and the heli is much tougher now. And if you go with the CF edition the frame is extremely tough.
OnTheSnap....what parts were re-designed and when looking at the MSH kits how do I know that I getting the latest revision?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you buy the composite plastic kit make sure it has the new canopy style. The CF kit has the new parts. You can also buy the spring update pack, but I'm not sure if that has all the new bits included.

Off the top of my head, the new parts are; tail box, tail blade grips, main grips, fly bar holder, and several more.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up

OnTheSnap.....is there a part number for " the spring update pack"? I'm headed to a hobby shop today or tomorrow that carries the MSH Protos to check out the heli so a part number would help or a link. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got my Spring update bag today, it contains:

- Tail Box, left and right
- Flybar Carrier
- Tail Pully
- Tail grips x 2
- Guide pully support

Part number is MSH51108
- Click here to view my RC Flight Log -
ted_wears_a_hat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can also browse parts with pics on readyheli or rcdumbthumbs
Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation Doesn't withstand crashes very well.......???

Well I was in a hobby shop today around where I'm going to be moving to that carries MSH parts (limited but the importmant ones) and a majority of Align, Thunder Tiger and JR heli parts. They had a MSH Protos kit on sale for $299 originaly $399 I think but not sure which model. I stike up a conversation with one of the shop hands and tell him I'm shopping for a 500 series electric heli and that I've narrowed it down to the Protos and the Trex. I also told him that I'm still learning but can hover my CP Pro2 in all orientations, figure 8's (still not too pretty) and some circuits but I want to get a 500. He said that the Protos was and awesome heli, quick, fast and flies great but doesn't hold up too well in crashes and a Trex 500ESP would hold up a lot better in a crash. What do you Protos and Trex owners have to say about how well a Protos or Trex can withstand a crash? Now I know that each crash is different and it all depends on what you are doing but until you meet mother earth or whatever you don't know how any heli is going to survive. So I guess my question is....How durable is the Protos (Carbon or Plastic frame) compaired to the Trex? IMHO...I would think that the Protos (Plastic Frame) would far better in a crash over the Trex since most of the helicopter is plastic and only metal is used in the important places. Need some feedback on this...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Carbon frame Protos is pretty durable and I've had two pretty hard crashes already on it. No frame damage at all on the first crash. The second I broke the bottom plastic in the frames which was easy to replace. No cracked carbon. Tail box broke on each crash (Trex ESP one is metal, you won't crack it there). There are more plastic parts than the Trex500 so those will break more often, but the prices on the plastics are reasonable. If you're more concerned about durability than having the absolute lightest setup for hard 3D then I would go ahead and get the carbon kit. And the Carbon kit is still much lighter than a Trex500.

You can't really go wrong with either the Trex or Protos. Since you have an MSH dealer locally, then I would go for the Protos
Old 06-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation Damn this is tough

mosh1....Thanks for the reply. This is really a hard decision for me to make with which 500 to get. I really like them both but can't get both. So right now this is how I'm going to approach this decision. If the LHS where I know the owner gives me a deal on a Trex 500ESP than I'll go with the Trex. If not than I go with the Protos. Either way I don't think I'll go wrong with either of them. More importantly is having local parts support after that Saturday afternoon crash where you need parts for the Sunday funfly....Sorry but it looks like the LHS in the area support Align better of MSH...We'll see....Thanks guys!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well if LHS support is your top priority, then I agree that Align is the way to go. But I'm sure happy it's not my top priority and I get to own a Protos.Hmm, Honda or Ferrari? My strategy is to own a 450 with LHS as my beater, and then own the best 500 possible. If I put the protos in, I still have something to fly for the few days that I wait for parts if I don't have something in the toolbox already.

The Protos Carbon with all the new bits is a tough heli. Infinity Hobby also sells metal upgrade parts (including a metal tail box in a couple of weeks). So if you want to add weight and bling you can.

I think you'll be very happy with either choice. Don't labor over it too much. It's nice to choose from 2 great options.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both the trex 500 cf and the protos plastic kit.

The protos plastic kit is designed to fly and not crash but the parts are cheap , so rebuild time isn't that bad
main frame $14
update pack $12 - price out a plastic tailcase,grips,etc to compare.

I had some teething issues with mine but it's all fixed up now. I had a bad auto after my tail exploded (updated parts but not the spring 09 parts) and cracked the frame , repaired it with come CF strip , i would have bought a new frame buy didn't notice it when i made the parts order.

Another point is that the protos would be getting new plastic parts after a crash , where the t500 alum parts would apear to be good but possibly bent causing issues.

If your interested in a 500 , let me know. I have the 500 CF belt drive , metal - tailbox,bearing blocks, mixing arms, lots of spare parts , MAH carbon blades, red canopy.

martin
Logo 600 8917/ 9188 4035-500 VBC NEO
rcmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in