Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can't flip mcpx

Hi. I got the RTF Blade mcpx with Dx4 transmitter.
I simple can't invert the heli. Everytime I try it with nose-dive or nose-up, it goes diagonally rather than straight up or down. The pitch servo travel seems a bit less than the aileron servo when I up the elevator. but they travel same amount when I put collective pitch. I doubt that it's due to the servos because I put a whole new set of servos.
As you know the Dx4 doesn't have EPA function. And I don't want to buy Dx6i only for this small thing. I have Futaba T7C. Any suggestion?
snuvet75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The V1 MCPX and early V2's were very prone to what your are describing when trying to do a flip or loop. It would turn about 1/4 turn when you were in to the maneuver. The cure was to lengthen the tail about an inch which gives the tail motor more authority. Eflite is now selling longer tail tail booms, but you can make your own with come CF rod at a fraction of the price.

Another possibility is that you are moving your thumb on the throttle stick to the left or right with out realizing it when you are doing the flip. This was a real bad habit of mine that took what seemed forever to correct.
Zeta30 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta30 View Post
The V1 MCPX and early V2's were very prone to what your are describing when trying to do a flip or loop. It would turn about 1/4 turn when you were in to the maneuver. The cure was to lengthen the tail about an inch which gives the tail motor more authority. Eflite is now selling longer tail tail booms, but you can make your own with come CF rod at a fraction of the price.

Another possibility is that you are moving your thumb on the throttle stick to the left or right with out realizing it when you are doing the flip. This was a real bad habit of mine that took what seemed forever to correct.
I tried the CF rod but it got so messy and ended up changing it to original part. I guess I have to watch some youtube video. In terms of the bad habit, I know that is not my problem since I notice the different travel amount between left and right servos even with throttle hold when I move up and down the elevator. Probably the EPA problem?? Dx4e doesn't have the function to correct it.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you aren't handy and not able to make the longer tail boom, the part # for the long one is BLH3602L. They are an inch longer than stock.
Zeta30 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If you aren't handy and not able to make the longer tail boom, the part # for the long one is BLH3602L. They are an inch longer than stock.
FWIW.....I modded my mCPx with one of these a couple of weeks ago......
It flies very well.....no tail "wag" or blow-out.....
Kinda pricey vs. a DIY...but I can't manage those fine wires anymore (arthritis....!)...
dasBlade450 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm quite handy!!! This is insulting!!! LOL kidding.. I can do the modification myself I guess. Last time I did that, I was not thinking clearly. I'll post a pic after modification. Well anyway, the question is "would that solve my inverting problem?"
Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It'll certainly help!

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
It'll certainly help!
Thanks!!!!!!! So I'll get back to you with that modification and if it's not solved the problem, you will be held responsible. Sound fair? LOL
Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Thanks!!!!!!! So I'll get back to you with that modification and if it's not solved the problem, you will be held responsible. Sound fair? LOL

More than fair. If it doesnt work I'll give you a full refund of what you paid me, no questions asked

In all seriousness though it really will help a good bit. Removing the tail from the main rotor wash will ALWAYS increase efficiency. That's why later revisions addressed the issue.

PM me for your soldering and mSR X BL build needs.
burnoutboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Longer tail boom just lets you fly sloppier without blowing out the tail. If you just learn better collective management and fly within the helis capabilities you'll be a better pilot for it.

If the tail is blowing out it's because you're using too much cyclic and collective. If it's just rolling slightly in the flip you simply need to learn how to correct it. I have a DIY extended boom, and while it makes the tail hold a little better it really doesn't make the mcpx a great deal easier to fly.
deca is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca View Post
Longer tail boom just lets you fly sloppier without blowing out the tail. If you just learn better collective management and fly within the helis capabilities you'll be a better pilot for it.

If the tail is blowing out it's because you're using too much cyclic and collective. If it's just rolling slightly in the flip you simply need to learn how to correct it. I have a DIY extended boom, and while it makes the tail hold a little better it really doesn't make the mcpx a great deal easier to fly.
I don't disagree with you. I know how to flip my T rex 450 though I just tried it a few times. With the same stick movement, mCPx is just acting strange to me and that's why I posted this.I ordered alo XL tail boom and it doesn't seem that it'll resolve my problem.
I decided to start all over again on my flying skill before I try to flip it. But anyway, I simply don't know why my heli seems to be the only one that has this sort of problem and nobody answers me about Dx4e(see my postings)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I don't disagree with you. I know how to flip my T rex 450 though I just tried it a few times. With the same stick movement, mCPx is just acting strange to me and that's why I posted this.I ordered alo XL tail boom and it doesn't seem that it'll resolve my problem.
I decided to start all over again on my flying skill before I try to flip it. But anyway, I simply don't know why my heli seems to be the only one that has this sort of problem and nobody answers me about Dx4e(see my postings)
I'm assuming you're looking to adjust the collective endpoints, and unfortunately there just isn't any way to do that with the Dx4 (that I know of).

Rest assured that your issues with the mCPx are nothing out of the ordinary for that machine, it's just really tricky to fly and aerobatics can easily cross the line into a blowout. You can't flip the mcpx the same way a larger heli will let you. I always pop it up with a bit of positive collective, neutralize collective completely, then do my flip over onto the back and once it's level with the ground feed in the negative pitch to catch it. You have to be very gentle with the application of collective or it'll get away from you. Flipping like this you can sort of bounce and float each half flip, or pop it a bit higher and flip a bit faster to do a full flip in one bounce. As you get a feel for the timing you can tighten them up more and more, but unless you go brushless the mcpx just isn't going to have enough power to flip in place around its axis. Splitting up your collective and cyclic inputs goes a long way toward keeping the tail in check, and you'll find your cyclic responds more directly with the collective at zero.

Don't be discouraged though, I've actually managed to get nice half piro flips out of my mcpx with this approach!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm assuming you're looking to adjust the collective endpoints, and unfortunately there just isn't any way to do that with the Dx4 (that I know of).

Rest assured that your issues with the mCPx are nothing out of the ordinary for that machine, it's just really tricky to fly and aerobatics can easily cross the line into a blowout. You can't flip the mcpx the same way a larger heli willn let you. I always pop it up with a bit of positive collective, neutralize collective completely, then do my flip over onto the back and once it's level with the ground feed in the negative pitch to catch it. You have to be very gentle with the application of collective or it'll get away from you. Flipping like this you can sort of bounce and float each half flip, or pop it a bit higher and flip a bit faster to do a full flip in one bounce. As you get a feel for the timing you can tighten them up more and more, but unless you go brushless the mcpx just isn't going to have enough power to flip in place around its axis. Splitting up your collective and cyclic inputs goes a long way toward keeping the tail in check, and you'll find your cyclic responds more directly with the collective at zero.

Don't be discouraged though, I've actually managed to get nice half piro flips out of my mcpx with this approach!
Aah. I see I see. This helps a lot. I appreciate it. Did you mod it to brushless? Is it worth it?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Aah. I see I see. This helps a lot. I appreciate it. Did you mod it to brushless? Is it worth it?
I haven't, mine is still stock aside from some KBDD blades and the extended solid tail boom. I don't think the BL mod is worth it...especially with that 130X on the way. BL will make the mcpx a much more capable machine, but it's pretty expensive and from what I've seen/heard will make it less crash resistant. Not to mention a fair amount of people seem to have a lot of trouble getting the BL kits working properly to begin with.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I haven't, mine is still stock aside from some KBDD blades and the extended solid tail boom. I don't think the BL mod is worth it...especially with that 130X on the way. BL will make the mcpx a much more capable machine, but it's pretty expensive and from what I've seen/heard will make it less crash resistant. Not to mention a fair amount of people seem to have a lot of trouble getting the BL kits working properly to begin with.
Yeah, I think so too. Got this heli due to relatively small fraction of cost and maintenance. And BL will take the advantage from me. I'm not in the skill set to consider BL anyway yet
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you're just trying to get inverted, you might also start off with a right roll to invert instead of a flip. Executes quicker and more stably due to the (slightly) greater longitudinal inertia. Once that's down pat, then work on the other directions. What I'm doing at this point, though it also took an extended tail to keep things in check, as I have a bad habit of stabbing the collective when I see it starting to fall (which doesn't happen nearly as much with a 450-size heli).

Have heard good things about the C05 brushless upgrade as far as crashability, but would rather get things solid on the brushed motor before stepping up to that (or more likely the HP05).

The mCPX really is 'training gear' in all senses of the word. It's unforgiving and demanding to fly (well, 3D flight at least; sport it's a peach) and forces you to get rid of bad habits and only use as much as you *need*, not as much as you've got.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
If you're just trying to get inverted, you might also start off with a right roll to invert instead of a flip. Executes quicker and more stably due to the (slightly) greater longitudinal inertia. Once that's down pat, then work on the other directions. What I'm doing at this point, though it also took an extended tail to keep things in check, as I have a bad habit of stabbing the collective when I see it starting to fall (which doesn't happen nearly as much with a 450-size heli).

Have heard good things about the C05 brushless upgrade as far as crashability, but would rather get things solid on the brushed motor before stepping up to that (or more likely the HP05).

The mCPX really is 'training gear' in all senses of the word. It's unforgiving and demanding to fly (well, 3D flight at least; sport it's a peach) and forces you to get rid of bad habits and only use as much as you *need*, not as much as you've got.
Good idea!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just installed the MH X Swash and X Frame but still, the thing goes into out of control piro when I try to do a backflip, it seems if I give enough elevator or aileron, it just piro's out of control.... I have a BL setup on the way, If I install that since it has its own ESC would that take enough strain off the 3 in 1 board to fix the problem? or is this a problem specific to the stock tail motor?
solidhelix is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have a stock mcpx with a dx4e and can flip, and roll either direction front or back left and right no problem. Its my first cp heli and have never touched a sim. It just takes practice. Just get up nice and high, pull back and let it come over as you go from + to - and keep pulling back once upside down keep pulling back and go from - to +. Just keep your tail straight with ur rudder.

Stay outta the dirt!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

most likely you are using too muh colective on the flip. it doesnt take much to make this bird angry. on my Tx I have the pitch limited to about 80%. Another thing to consider is a crap battery. You may not feel like you are using too much collective, but if the bat doesnt have the c rating it aint going to be pretty. take her out and dump the throttle to full a couple times. if she rotates, reduce the pitch limit, if she seems sluggish after this most likely the battery isnt up to the task.
Wookster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in