Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #321 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default uggh

jasmine may know what she's doing enough to help herself. but she pauses between words and strays off topic so much i started screaming at my computer monitor for her to just spit it out!!! haha. no offense jasmine.
unless you take it that way. lets just get to the point shall we?
SethKillian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #322 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Hey... give her a break! It was her first build videos. At least the information was accurate and correct! Some of the latest Youtube vids I have seen are like WOA.... I feel sorry for some that don't know about Helifreak...

I have had many PM's and seen posts about people saying my vids aren't perfect either. And they are not I will be the first to admit it. I many times repeat myself and make a mistake or 2. It happens! But what do you want for free

Again as long as they help you and are accurate, thats the best you can expect.

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #323 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is next to impossible to get it perfect with videos at the level of detail these require. If I had two helicopters, I could build one, write down what I want to say, and then do it again for the video, but these videos are impromptu - you're watching my build, pretty raw I admit. I think I'll be doing another one soon about converting the 500 to FBL using the Align stuff, and I keep everyone's comments in mind. I consider it constructive, and it would be to everyone's detriment to ignore a comment simply because it's a little negative.
Jasmine2501 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #324 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just got me a CopterX 250SE and to be perfectly honest, I don't think I would have been able to get it out of the box had it not been for BOTH Bob and Jasmine's vids! Bob obviously has a bit more experience in doing these, but we should all bow and give many thanks to BOTH Bob and Jasmine for taking the time to help the rest of us!

I for one, say thank you for sharing your experiences, knowledge, and insights with the rest of us... we are all truly grateful and appreciative!!

Steve

p.s. I can't seem to get my gyro to initialize... I have a bad ESC that I am getting replaced... is it possible that a bad ESC can prevent the gyro from initializing?
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #325 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
p.s. I can't seem to get my gyro to initialize... I have a bad ESC that I am getting replaced... is it possible that a bad ESC can prevent the gyro from initializing?
Possible yes, if it's preventing appropriate power from getting in the receiver. Try using a receiver battery like I did in the video. There are known issues with some Spektrum receivers too, so it would help to know what you're using.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #326 (permalink)
pqr
Registered Users

Default +1

"I for one, say thank you for sharing your experiences, knowledge, and insights with the rest of us... we are all truly grateful and appreciative!!

Steve"

+1 from me too
Blade MSR
pqr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #327 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine2501 View Post
Possible yes, if it's preventing appropriate power from getting in the receiver. Try using a receiver battery like I did in the video. There are known issues with some Spektrum receivers too, so it would help to know what you're using.
Here is my set up...
- (4) Fusonic (MG-A-9G) 9g Metal Gear Micro Servos
- DragonSky GY401M Head Lock Gyro
- CopterX (CX250-10-04) 3400KV Brushless Motor & 30A Brushless ESC Set
- Walkera RX-2801 Pro Receiver (I have a 2801 Pro radio from my 4G6)
- MG Power 11.1V 25C 800mAh Battery

My battery is brand new and fully charged, so I don't think is the issue. Someone was suggesting that my TX/RX is taking too long to bind and the gyro is timing out... they suggested powering up the heli with the gyro unplugged, then once it is bound, plug in the gryo. I'll give that a try tonight. I have also ordered a new ESC, so I will try that as well.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #328 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

That could be happening but usually the way to solve it is to rebind after you have setup so the RX goes to neutrals, etc should it take too long to link to the TX. Most gyros I have will deal with this delay if you rebind after setup.

Bob
Old 04-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #329 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks all for your help so far! I got a new ESC and Motor (CopterX (CX250-10-04) 3400KV Brushless Motor & 30A Brushless ESC Set).

Good news... I got my gyro to work! It was exacty as described... The TX and RX were taking too long to bind. I simply unplugged the Gyro, then plugged it back in... it initializes and works the tail servo perfectly! Wooot!

Bad news... I still can't get my motor to initialize Everything else now works except for the most important part! Arrrrrrr!!!! What do I do now?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #330 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks like I figured it out! It is pretty hard for the ESC to initialize when you plug it into the BATTery port of the RX... Who would of thought that it needs to be plugged into the THROttle port! Dumb newbie mistake, but hey, I'm a newbie so I can make these mistakes!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #331 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I have had many PM's and seen posts about people saying my vids aren't perfect either. And they are not I will be the first to admit it. I many times repeat myself and make a mistake or 2. It happens! But what do you want for free

Again as long as they help you and are accurate, thats the best you can expect.

Bob
Your videos are the best heli building videos on the whole internet. I have followed your 500, 450 and most recently 250 build vids and I have learnt loads from them.

It is hard to get 1000's of people satisfied with your video's but almost all of them love your vids so I think you've got it pretty much spot on

Thanks very much for this build video.. My 250 is ready to go now but the weather is bad so I might try a little hover in the living room. Keep up the amazing vids!

-Jonny
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #332 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
Thanks all for your help so far! I got a new ESC and Motor (CopterX (CX250-10-04) 3400KV Brushless Motor & 30A Brushless ESC Set).

Good news... I got my gyro to work! It was exacty as described... The TX and RX were taking too long to bind. I simply unplugged the Gyro, then plugged it back in... it initializes and works the tail servo perfectly! Wooot!

Bad news... I still can't get my motor to initialize Everything else now works except for the most important part! Arrrrrrr!!!! What do I do now?
Hi, is this binding issue a walkera rx/tx only issue? I soon would like to build a 250 and have a 2801 Pro also. But unplugging the gyro each time doesn't sound ideal. Would perhaps using a different gyro resolve this? Thanks.
NovaCX12 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #333 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyheli View Post
Your videos are the best heli building videos on the whole internet. I have followed your 500, 450 and most recently 250 build vids and I have learnt loads from them.

It is hard to get 1000's of people satisfied with your video's but almost all of them love your vids so I think you've got it pretty much spot on.....

-Jonny
Hang on Jonny, I gotta pull ya up there. What do you men by "...but almost all of them love your vids..."
I gotta say I've never heard ANYONE complain ANY of Bob's videos.

I defy you to go to any field and find any Heli pilot with his salt not suggest watching Bob's video's as the first port of call to building Heli's, setting them up - and to to a degree how to fly them.

However after thinking about it, I'm sure there is the odd video segment or suggestion he has made that others may have differing opinions of.

Everyone I know would agree with you if you said 'Finless Bob IS the Heli God'!

That said, I DO know you were simply praising Bob. It's just the 'almost all' bit that got my short term attention!

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #334 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well I am no heli god.... Heli helper but not a god. I personally don't like be referred to as that. Some people pick up on people calling me that and give me a hard time or it causes people to be afraid to walk up to me at funflys, etc. I am just a regular Joe like you all. Like all of us we learn something new every day. God's are perfect I am by far not!

That said there have been people that either do not like my videos or have complained. I have heard some complain that I repeat myself, make mistakes (which I do sometimes but try to fix them), and as you said, some don't agree with how I do things sometimes which is to be expected. There are many way to skin a cat

Remember, your mileage may vary!

Bob
Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #335 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCX12 View Post
Hi, is this binding issue a walkera rx/tx only issue? I soon would like to build a 250 and have a 2801 Pro also. But unplugging the gyro each time doesn't sound ideal. Would perhaps using a different gyro resolve this? Thanks.
I don't believe it was a Walkera related issue... I belive it was a "cheap gyro" issue. I finally gave up and broke down and got a "proper" gyro... the Align GP780. I am also using the Align DS420 Digital Tail servo. Everything now works perfect and binds with no problem. From what I understand, the Walkera 2801 is a bit "snobby" and doesn't play well when used with cheap electronics. Bottom line... If you are using a good quality ESC, Motor, Servos, and Gyro, you will have no problems at all with using a 2801.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #336 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Well I am no heli god.... Heli helper but not a god. I personally don't like be referred to as that. Some people pick up on people calling me that and give me a hard time or it causes people to be afraid to walk up to me at funflys, etc. I am just a regular Joe like you all. Like all of us we learn something new every day. God's are perfect I am by far not!
Bob
Bob,

OK - I get ya. A better choice of words I (we) should use for you is 'Bob is a Heli Guru'
That way you are not the 'Almighty', but rather one who knows a 'hell' of lot more about helis than the
general population.

Hopefully that sits a little better with you.

When I see you at the next event I'll tell people 'Need help? - There's Bob, he's a heli guru, nice guy and
he'll be more than happy to help you out'. (Though I don't expect to run into you anytime soon, there is a
big ocean between us!)

I'm the Spektrum DX6/7 guru at the field, but like you I'm not sure I like being called that either. But I do know enough about them to help anyone with a problem, out of a 'bind'!

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #337 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Wink

How about the "Dali Lama of Helis"?
Patriot996 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #338 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot996 View Post
How about the "Dali Lama of Helis"?
The Heli Lama?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #339 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bill, I too have never met anyone who complains about Bob's videos... Although in his post before mine he mentioned people have complained to him about his videos.

I find it kind of funny, because every single video and thing on here is free, so why people complain is beyond me.

It's clear that these video's are very valuable to everyone on here and are worth more than a few Bob (lol see what I did there). You can't buy build DVD's that are as good as Bob's.

I am killing myself here, I really want a 600ESP. But feel I don't fly my Trex 500 enough

-Jonny
Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #340 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

People complaining about free stuff is pretty common. There's a certain segment of folks out there who will complain about things regardless of what it is - people who complain about everything. There's also a growing number of people who complain about free things because they see no difference between getting something for free and buying something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_entitlement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in