Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #341 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout19 View Post
The top of the pinion (when viewed as fitted) is where the teeth start, and at first they are shallow, and get deeper as they move down the pinion untill they reach max depth for the rest of the pinion. With the original main gear it wasn't as thick, so didn't reach up far enough to come into contact with the start of the pinion teeth.

The new one is thicker, and now this is a possibility.

Hey buddy.

This pinion isn't the 700E one as the one we use has a turned step on top of the teeth that rests against the motor support bearing.
Coolice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #342 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, I just ended up leaving the white gears on both ends of the torque tube and using the new black ones until I get extra bearings in... With only one set of bearings I do not want to damage them while pressing on - hopefully it will be fine to fly this weekend like that...

Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #343 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's a photo of my pinion to maingear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	373518  
Coolice is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #344 (permalink)
Registered Users

No good raise the pinion so its level with the bottom of the main gear that why its tight
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #345 (permalink)
Registered Users

i would not do white and black mix as the black is a harder material and you may brake of wear out the white in no time just my thoughts

Dino
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #346 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Spadaccini View Post
i would not do white and black mix as the black is a harder material and you may brake of wear out the white in no time just my thoughts

Dino
Thanks for the information Dino, just out of curiosity, how in the heck did you get the umbrella gears on? I bent my PrecisionHeliTools.com mini press trying to get the bearings on! I certainly do not want to deform the bearings or the umbrella gear... I'll take any suggestions, I left the gears in the freezer over night!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #347 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolice View Post
Hey buddy.

This pinion isn't the 700E one as the one we use has a turned step on top of the teeth that rests against the motor support bearing.
Changed the image in my original post to the correct one. The point still stands though, you don't want the main gear meshing where the teeth start at the motor end of the pinion.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #348 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you have to raise the pinion off the motor shaft support bearing in order to ensure the pinion to main gear mesh is correct, aren't you defeating part of the purpose of the motor shaft support bearing? That is, to keep the pinion from 'pulling' down on the motor shaft due to the helical gears. That, of course is very hard on the motor bearings.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #349 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall64 View Post
Thanks for the information Dino, just out of curiosity, how in the heck did you get the umbrella gears on? I bent my PrecisionHeliTools.com mini press trying to get the bearings on! I certainly do not want to deform the bearings or the umbrella gear... I'll take any suggestions, I left the gears in the freezer over night!
Success - freezer / oven & brute force!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #350 (permalink)
Registered Users

the supports the shaft not the pinion gear, if you feel your bearing i bet its very rough from the gear riding on it and align has posted on there FB to do it this way Dino
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #351 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #352 (permalink)
Registered Users

Last edited by rando; 12-17-2012 at 02:47 PM..
rando is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #353 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is there a new Helical Autorotation Tail Drive Gear to go with the black gears? Mixing the two can't be good.
jimmitch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #354 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmitch View Post
Is there a new Helical Autorotation Tail Drive Gear to go with the black gears? Mixing the two can't be good.
It'd certainly look more uniform too.
I have the black main gear and the white auto gear under it just doesn't look right.
That being said I think you would strip the black umbrella gear before the white auto gear would go. I could be wrong.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #355 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
To Dino's point, it's always been the case that the pinion is NOT supposed to rest on the shaft support bearing.

I think what they're saying is new is that due to the new main gear being slightly thicker, you need to line the pinion and gear up at the bottom edge to make sure it's not meshing with the beveled portion of the pinion. With the original gear, there was an extra mm to play with for vertical alignment.
My manual (V2 version, not DFC V3), page 17 shows an inset drawing with specific instructions to make sure the pinion is in contact with the bearing prior to tightening the grub screws. Is there some change notice that I missed?

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #356 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerheli View Post
My manual (V2 version, not DFC V3), page 17 shows an inset drawing with specific instructions to make sure the pinion is in contact with the bearing prior to tightening the grub screws. Is there some change notice that I missed?
With my Synergy E7 you are supposed to have pinion just touching the bearing. The reason given is that due to the helical cut gears there is downward pressure on the pinion. If the pinion is free to pull down, that is hard on the motor bearings.

My understanding of the pinion support bearing (when used with helical gears) is that it serves two purposes. One is to keep the motor shaft rigid and remove the possibility of the motor/pinion flexing away from the main gear. Two, is to keep the pinon from pulling down on the motor shaft.

Seems to me Align has probably fixed the gear stripping with the thicker better composition gear but now the setup really needs a new longer pinion so it can be mounted touching the bearing as was the original spec.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #357 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerheli View Post
I thought the manual said exactly the opposite but maybe it's something I read in the forums somewhere. In any case, I'll retract my comment and updated my original post.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #358 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
I thought the manual said exactly the opposite but maybe it's something I read in the forums somewhere. In any case, I'll retract my comment and updated my original post.
That's why I went back and looked at the manual, as it's been over a year since I built my 700. I haven't looked at the V3 DFC manual to see what it says, maybe it's different.

Nope, I just looked at the DFC manual, and on page 15 it says exactly the same thing.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #359 (permalink)
Registered Users

do not let the pinion gear touch the bearing
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #360 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks AlignTrexStore,com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010642resize.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	375421   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010643resize.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	375422   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010644resize.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	375423  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in