Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

One question I have: do you need the spacers on the ball joints? The kit doesn't come with them and I've seen pictures with no spacers, 1 and 2 spacers.. not sure what the right way is.
dwelzel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

None is the official setup.

I put one spacer on mine as I felt the edge of the ball and edge of the link were very close. With one spacer the clearance was much better.

Martin
Logo 600 8917/ 9188 4035-500 VBC NEO
rcmarty is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know this is an old thread, bumping it as im facing this exact situation. Converted my standard sloppy tail to the comp spec tail and was thrown off by the angled plastic ball links. Seems smooth and tight, just doesn't "look" right I guess...

Is there a part number for the spacers, can't seem to find them for sale.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your flying the dampened tail leave the ball links off set at a 45 degree angle. It's called a delta hinge and it's there for a reason. If you remove the 45 degree angle with a dampened tail rotor then you will have serious issues with the tail rotor.

For a rigid tail it doesn't matter.
dominator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great, thanks for the informative reply!
Old 06-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

flew my 700 today for the first time with comp tail and was much smoother,.ps i had concerns over the pitch slider ball links but left them alone and all is well ,the angle does not matter .
cabbie-uk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, glad I'm not the only one second guessing it.

Again, I knew that since it was a ball joint the angle was irrelevant to its function, it just didn't "look right". Then seeing others use spacers got me wondering if I was missing parts.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

i put some spacers on and was going to fly it , from an engineering point of view it looked right having them inline , but doing some more reading i decided to take them off , dont worry all is well
cabbie-uk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2deep View Post
Ok, glad I'm not the only one second guessing it.

Again, I knew that since it was a ball joint the angle was irrelevant to its function, it just didn't "look right". Then seeing others use spacers got me wondering if I was missing parts.
The angle is actually very relevant in this case, and as stated is there by design. The guys removing it do so because they simply dont understand what it is and are second guessing the design based on the only design they are familiar with.

Its called Delta 3 hinge offset and works in conjunction only with a dampened rotor spindle, hence why the new tail design has a spindle and dampers just like the main head does now rather than a rigid hub that each blade mounts to separately.

The tail blades on our helis flap in flight just like the main blades do. The teetering spindle along with the Delta 3 offset reduces the AOA of the blade during these flapping events and helps to reduce vibrations.

Full scale aircraft use the same design for the same reason

Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey guys, don't mean to thread hijack but I had a tail upgrade question on an original style tail setup on a 700 goblin I got 2nd hand last fall. I've just finished working on it and after looking the tail over I was wondering why it only had the single link pitch slider. Found this thread with lots of good info. I was wondering if this kit along with a new tail hub would do the trick.

https://www.rotorquest.com/index.php...04895&limit=50
Old 06-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCanuck View Post
Hey guys, don't mean to thread hijack but I had a tail upgrade question on an original style tail setup on a 700 goblin I got 2nd hand last fall. I've just finished working on it and after looking the tail over I was wondering why it only had the single link pitch slider. Found this thread with lots of good info. I was wondering if this kit along with a new tail hub would do the trick.

https://www.rotorquest.com/index.php...04895&limit=50
That will give you the newest generation slider.
If you want the full rotor though, you will need the new shaft and grips as well. Since you are close by, if you get a chance take a trip over to Rotorquest and you can see it and make sure you get everything you need.
https://www.rotorquest.com/index.php...8&search=H0324
Old 06-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

My plan was to rebuild the entire tail, bearings and all this fall when I should have more free time.
Haven't been in the store since the early winter. Placed a few orders online though. My last order came the day after they shipped it. Sent out on a Thursday and I figured it would show up the following week but it was at the door on Friday.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did my full tail conversion just a few weeks ago and the difference was incredible. I can actually "touch" the tail fin now when spun up (sans blades) without an earth quake occurring in my region lol.
RCHN #63 C.W.B
Thorvald is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in